Multiple Views Of Same Collection

ElLoboSolitario
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

ElLoboSolitario

With the old version of Media Browser I was able to configure it to show multiple views of the same folders (All Movies by Title, All Movies by Year, All Movies by Genre, All Movies by Date added, All Blu-ray Titles) With Media Browser Classic, if I attempt to add the same folders under a different collection name, I get an error stating that those folders have already been used. Furthermore, under the old version of Media Browser, I could see all my movies listed in one place. This new version lists them according to the folders where they are located (i.e., my movies are stored as: E:\1080p, E:\720p, G:\Video\Movies\SD 480p, G:\Video\Movies\HD\720p and G:\Video\Movies\HD\1080p.) This new version isn't very user friendly from what I've discovered as to the way it presents media collections. Strangely enough, my television series are under two different folders, yet they all display as one collection.

• Solution

This all sounds like server configuration issues so moving to that section.

As for "all the movies in one place" you can do that just as you did before.  it sounds to me like you added individual collections on the server for each of those different locations.  Instead, you should have created one "Movies" collection and then added each of those locations to it.

Please see this guide for server side setup.

• Like 1

As for the multiple views, you can re-create that as well by using shortcuts as described at the bottom of this document.  

But, that may not really be what you want as it will only really work in MBC and might clutter up the other clients.  The newer clients are designed with a lot of ways you can slice and dice your views which negates the need for a lot of this redundant definition on the server.

seanbuff

...will only really work in MBC and might clutter up the other clients.

@ebr, you raise a good point about the newer clients supporting more dynamic views based on the rich metadata from the server-side. Understanding you are the only person still working on MBC, are there any plans for MBC to be able to use these newer views based on server data moving forward?

We may be the minority, but there are still a bunch of us hanging onto MBC/WMC for varying reasons ...would be great if MBC [core] could at least be at the same level of functionality as the latest clients across the board.

@ebr, you raise a good point about the newer clients supporting more dynamic views based on the rich metadata from the server-side. Understanding you are the only person still working on MBC, are there any plans for MBC to be able to use these newer views based on server data moving forward?

We may be the minority, but there are still a bunch of us hanging onto MBC/WMC for varying reasons ...would be great if MBC [core] could at least be at the same level of functionality as the latest clients across the board.

The problem with MBC is that I have to remain compatible with MB2 themes.  So, changing presentation is challenging sometimes.

The other issue is cost/benefit.  I know that MBC is very important to some of you, but about 85% of the people I see post out here say something like "as soon as MBT is out, WMC is history...".  So, it is hard to justify the time necessary to make MBC as feature-rich as the newer clients even where it is possible.

Once MBT is out and the dust settles, I'll take stock on just how many MBC users there really are and go from there.

• Like 1