TV show doesn't start if english soundtrack is selected

nodiaque

nodiaque

Hello everyone,

I have a TV Series (Big Bang) that if I start the video with English audio (it has english and french sound track), it will get me to the black screen and skip bar but nothing happen. On the server, it says that LG is playing whatever episode with all audio/video as direct play (which is right). If instead, I start with French track, it will start in french, then I can switch to English and it will play. Very weird.

I've attached the server log in debug of this program.

Thank you

embyserver.txt

nodiaque

For more information, I've seen something. When I start the episode with english track, my receiver show Dolby digital 2.0, which is the French default track. 

If I start with French then change to English, it now display dts 5.1

nodiaque

Something else I found out. If I start the episode in French, press pause and switch soundtrack, it won't resume. It works if I switch while it's playing though. Very weird and only these doing this right now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I can't reproduce any of these issues:

• I start with English, it plays fine
    • I can switch to French while playing, then back to English - no problems
  • I start with French, it plays fine
    • I can switch to English while playing, then back to French - no problems
  • I start with French, pause, switch to English, then unpause - no problems

Have you tried to refresh all metadata on this file?

nodiaque

Yup, it's not only this file, it was all of the seasons. It was freshly copied on the disk (upgrade). I ended up deleting everything but I did kept one (the one in the link). I'll check if maybe the new version of the lg player fixed it.

Oh, are you still on the old version?  Yes, you should try with the latest version

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
nodiaque

Hello,

I totally forgot (cause I replaced all the video file). I have to check with the current version see if it's working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nodiaque

OK I just tested the same file posted above and still same problem, playback doesn't start. Attached log file, it's the last file. I've enabled Debug Logging while testing.

Look for test/S04E06.mkv

LG client 1.0.37

image.png.02504ce5222ff98f25e39b3adda3acf4.png

edit: weird thing I just saw! Look at the time line, it says 0:14. The reported time line move until it reach 0:20 (with 2sec increment) and then jump back to 0:00 in the dashboard, but nothing on my tv and when I do "stats for nerd", only a x appear.

If I change quality for 720p 1mb which trigger transcoding video+audio (why audio?), it work. If I go to 720p 4MBPS or more, it start directplay and doesn't work. If I switch to french audio, it work regardless of image quality I select direct play or not.

embyserver.txt

Edited by nodiaque

SamES

Actually I think this is fixed in the next version (whenever it becomes available).  Please try it out when it's released,

It only affected 2018 models which is why I couldn't initially reproduce it.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
nodiaque

Just to say, got a new series with the same problem. I have many other without, I don't know why these specifically

25 minutes ago, nodiaque said:

Still only 1.0.37, no trace of update yet

OK sorry, my mistake. It's still in LG review.

36 minutes ago, nodiaque said:

is there a way I can sideload?

No but it’s been in review for some time now so hopefully not too much longer.

• 4 weeks later...
SamES

This is a hard one to reproduce as I don't have an equivalent TV model to yours, but when I've seen these types of issues in the past, it is generally due to an incompatibility between the file encoding and the TV.  This usually affects a whole series as they have all been encoded the same way.  TV devices dont' have as broad a range of support as VLC and some other dedicated players.  If it is only the one series/season having an issue then this is most likely the case.

In reality, if it is DirectPlaying then we don't have any control over playback anyway as it is being handled by the TV.  If there was a specific file/codec parameter that was unsupported, and if we could detect that then we could avoid DirectPlay and transcode the video and/or audio to resolve the issue.  In your case, there is nothing obvious that we could detect as it appears to be a file the TV should support, but due to the encoding method, it just doesn't play.

There isn't anything much else we can do here.

nodiaque

The weird thing is if I select french (which has same codec) and start playing, then switch to english, it will play no problem. I won't be able to skip though. It's very weird. I stumble on a movie that does this also. For now, when I get on these, I download from another source. It's just weird cause there's no error log anywhere I can find.

Edited by nodiaque

SamES
28 minutes ago, nodiaque said:

The weird thing is if I select french (which has same codec) and start playing, then switch to english, it will play no problem. I won't be able to skip though. It's very weird. I stumble on a movie that does this also. For now, when I get on these, I download from another source. It's just weird cause there's no error log anywhere I can find.

Yeah, it's a bit weird, but when there incompatibilities in encoding then weird things can happen - I have seen this in a few examples from users. 

If they are MKV files, you can try using MkvToolNix and copy all the streams to a new file.  Sometimes just rewriting the container (no conversion of audio or video) can resolve the issue, but not always.  As this is just a rewrite, it's also fairly quick (same speed as a normal file copy)

nodiaque

I'll try this. I often merge soundtrack from different file when I can't get my hand on dual language track and sync them. So won't be my first rodeo with these tools.

I might create a flag so I can tag them and put then in a workflow if that work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1