DLNA cast to Yamaha RX-A2040 fails

gino86

Hi all

I have recently built a new NAS to replace my already quite aged Synology DS414. My new build runs TrueNAS Scale and Emby from the official TrueNAS charts catalog.

A feature that I'd not want to miss out from the old NAS is the casting of music to my Yamaha RX-A2040 (runs on latest firmmare available 1.98) which currently works fine with DS Audio from Synology. The Yamaha only supports audio streaming, and no video/photo.

I have now the problem that I cannot cast from the Emby server to the Yamaha directly, but I can browse the Emby library from the Yamaha on-screen UI or via the Yamaha app and stream music in those ways.

When I try to cast e.g. an album to the Yamaha from Emby, the following things happen:

• The Yamaha UI shows song title etc. but no sound is audible
  • Immediately after, the Yamaha UI shows an 'Access error' on the screen
  • After ~10s Emby switches to the next song in the queue and the same happens again

BTW, in the same network on the same router, I have an Xbox One X connected and streaming music to it works from the Emby app.

I have attached some logs.

Any idea what could be the cause of my issue or anybody managed to DLNA-cast to a Yamaha RX-Ax040 yet?

Thanks
Gino

desc_ConnectionManager_RX2040.xml desc_RX2040.xml embyserver_RX2040.txt udhisapi_XBoxOne.xml

Maybe it could be related to this and Emby is somehow sending in the wrong format? My library is all MP3 and Emby should not transcode (if it does...)

Hi again

When I read the following post and look at my log files, I can find the same 'Access token invalid or expired' errors where folks state that it worked for them on Emby 4.6 and stopped working from 4.7 owards. I cannot confirm that, because I started directly with 4.7.10 and then updated to 4.7.11.

Another log attached below.

Best
Gino

embyserver.txt

• 2 weeks later...
almaster

Unfortunately I too found that emby's dlna server is completely buggy. Same problem with my Yamaha RX-V777 that just can't access emby via dlna control point app like HiFi-Cast (same access-error response). Unfortunately, as you may have noticed, I didn't get support to fix the problem; I had to resolve by eliminating the emby dlna plugin and use another dlna server software (kodi in my case), waiting to completely replace emby with another software when my emby premiere subscription ended.

• 3 weeks later...

@gino86 can you please try this version of the dlna plugin? It will add more logging for me:

Emby.Dlna.zip

Just unzip it into /config/plugins, then restart the server, try again, and then provide the emby server log again. Thanks !

Thanks. I've finally tracked down this issue and it will be resolved in the upcoming Emby Server 4.8 release. If you need immediate relief, the fix will be in the Emby Server beta channel later this week.

• 4 weeks later...

@gino86 

Apologies for the delay. The new beta with the fix is currently rolling out. 

If you need immediate relief, please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !

• 9 months later...

@K1ng_Learare you able to browse and play a music file using the emby dlna server from your yamaha?

Please make sure to temporarily enable the dlna server in emby server dlna settings. Thanks !

K1ng_Lear
13 hours ago, Luke said:

@K1ng_Learare you able to browse and play a music file using the emby dlna server from your yamaha?

Please make sure to temporarily enable the dlna server in emby server dlna settings. Thanks !

Hi Luke,

I installed and activated the DLNA Plugin an tried to find EMBY from my Yamaha device. I couldn't find emby. To be honest, I didn't used any dlna streams for over 10 years and so I'm not longer into the thing overall, frankly spoken, maybe I'm too stupid 🙂

Nothing else, I think, why I can't find emby, is that there is a firewall conflict between the vlan for iot devices, like the yamaha, and the rest. I opened UDP 1900 between this two networks but it didn't help. Oh, the usually emby ports are opened and working well with emby apps. I searched a while in the net, and it seems, that it's necessary, that the dlna sever and the client must be both in the same network. This isn't the case in my setup. To dig this out, it would been a work of several hours, because I've to reconfigure a lot of my networking and to be honest, I would prefer to avoid this. Sorry, that I couldn't help you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, please try again with Emby Server 4.8.3+. Thanks !