Emby won’t play mkv files with Dolby Vision on AppleTV 4K (2021)

raevengel

raevengel

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out what’s going on. I have an mkv file with Dolby Vision (profile 5) and while Emby will play it just fine on my iPad via the web interface but only audio will play on AppleTV with a blank/black video screen. I know that AppleTV will play DoVi files up to profile 5 so I don’t understand what’s happening. 

Any info to help me figure this out would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much.

raevengel

I was on Auto. I switched it to MPV to test and I’ll see how it goes when I can. Given it was already on auto, I’m not sure that’s gonna fix it, sadly. Hopefully, I’m wrong.

I can’t access the files right now to test. Emby seems to have “lost” them, for lack of a better term and scanning library files has taken about 20 hours thus far and not nearly done. I cannot figure out what’s going so slowly. It’s somehow calling ffmpeg for every single items it’s looking at.

16 hours ago, raevengel said:

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out what’s going on. I have an mkv file with Dolby Vision (profile 5) and while Emby will play it just fine on my iPad via the web interface but only audio will play on AppleTV with a blank/black video screen. I know that AppleTV will play DoVi files up to profile 5 so I don’t understand what’s happening. 

Any info to help me figure this out would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!