Thoughts on Jellyfin?

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

I checked the search to make sure this wasnt a discussion topic already.

First off, I have a life time Emby license. Jellyfin as a solution to "get around paying" isn't what I am here to ask about.

I'm exxxxxxxxxxxxtreme last to the game. I never heard of Jellyfin until it was dropped as a discussion point on Linus Tech Tips talk show on Friday.

I'm kind of interested what the general thoughts on Jellyfin are both as a product and what the "politics around here" are about it.

Any general thoughts/kneejerk reactions?

Lighthammer

Interesting.

I'll admit, I threw on my personal PC (not server) just to see what it looked like.

There's *IS* one feature that caught my attention and that was the "Watch Party" mode. 

Outside of that, I didn't even try to stream anything with it.

• 4 weeks later...
heciruam

I have it running side by side, but to me it feels like an old version of Emby when I switched over from PLEX in 2017. They added new features quicker than Emby like tonemapping and other things, but it seems to me the only do it to fill the checkbox. Everything feels slower. The clients aren't as polished or don't even exist.

I wasn't happy when Emby decided to go close source but so far it wasn't negative for me. I'm a little worried that Jellyfin takes the spotlight now, even from the popular Plex. On the other hand I was surprised how many people mentioned Emby under LTT's latest video, where they barely mentioned it.

What do you think?

• Like 1

FredrikT
8 hours ago, heciruam said:

I have it running side by side, but to me it feels like an old version of Emby when I switched over from PLEX in 2017. They added new features quicker than Emby like tonemapping and other things, but it seems to me the only do it to fill the checkbox. Everything feels slower. The clients aren't as polished or don't even exist.

I wasn't happy when Emby decided to go close source but so far it wasn't negative for me. I'm a little worried that Jellyfin takes the spotlight now, even from the popular Plex. On the other hand I was surprised how many people mentioned Emby under LTT's latest video, where they barely mentioned it.

What do you think?

Yeah, I hope LTT/Linus will try out Emby as well. When he, towards the end, said that he hadn't tried it out cause it costs money.. Duuude! You make millions of YT, you can afford a few bucks. You can even compare the free Emby to Premiere.

• Agree 1

arrbee99

Another day, another article mentioning Jellyfin and Plex, and only Jellyfin and Plex-

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/buy-or-bootleg-save-your-favorite-streaming-media-by-any-means-necessary

Maybe its time to introduce something new and innovative, like say the best Live TV implementation, or maybe just catch up, like a standalone music player, or that Watch Together thing...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Spaceboy
10 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Another day, another article mentioning Jellyfin and Plex, and only Jellyfin and Plex-

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/buy-or-bootleg-save-your-favorite-streaming-media-by-any-means-necessary

Maybe its time to introduce something new and innovative, like say the best Live TV implementation, or maybe just catch up, like a standalone music player, or that Watch Together thing...

this is true. it seems like there has been a lot of work by the emby team on the plumbing in the last couple of years but limited, if anything, innovative in terms of user function.

i'm not unhappy with emby but i'd struggle to identify one standout feature thats been implemented in that time period that makes a difference to me. for all the stuff thats been done on live tv so far, i still work around it not with it

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

i'm not unhappy with emby but i'd struggle to identify one standout feature thats been implemented in that time period that makes a difference to me.

Exactly, for me it just simply works but what's next?

Imo the best feature implemented in the last years is the skip intro which mainly was driven by 3rd party devs and donated to the core. Credit detection is still plugin exclusive and not every app can pick up those markers.

They might have stuff in the pipeline but I feel like stuff get stuck there, examples:

1. TVNext

2. Unification of Windows app, afaik the first time I saw this was in 2021

3. Unification of Android app, to be fair development was done but seems somehow stuck right now.

Just to name a few, I'm sure others could go on.

Just my 2cents though...

• Agree 1

kikinjo

Last server beta was 2 months ago...and you ppl are talking here about major new features ? Seems you need to read a bit about how many years is needed for some major new feature in emby.

arrbee99

It does seem to take years. I'm sure TVNext did take years before anyone got to try it (though with softworkz writing it, I'm sure it was much quicker). But since then, as we all know, crickets. Maybe some of those database changes were to help with TVNext, who knows, maybe I should have quick look at that road map...

And some things can't be that difficult with the talent Emby has - pretty sure I spotted a filter by decade somewhere in that LTT video, how long has that been on the list.

Cheesegeezer

So i actually Engaged with Jellyfin. I would like some more freedom with the plugins i write and how the user can interact from the UI.  So i popped over to have a chat on the dev channels.  

and..... Rewind about 5yrs compared to Emby's code..... they are not organised, it's difficult to follow and track things.  The infrastructure isn't there.  so here i still am.  I'm not disloyal to emby... it's good to try to engage in other platforms.  I even threw them one of my plugins to see if someone could show me how to to integrate and they kindly took it... converted it and i heard nothing back.  So no change there with Robbing code and information and giving nothing.

I think that 4.8 Release will pave the way going forward (Emby Admin correct me if i'm wrong).  It seems like with the release of the new Dev SDK and the silence of releases that a lot of energy is going into this release... (Possibly a 5.0 release?? completely my opinion and prediction), but i think the infrastruce will be much more solid, which will then paved the way to build features that are a whole lot less likely to break the current fragile state of emby.

These are all completely my own opinions and ideas.  

I think good things are to come from Emby.  

• Like 1

thornbill

Hey @Cheesegeezer , we had wondered what had happened with you. You just kind of dropped out of chat after being pretty active for a bit. I'm really not sure where you are coming from regarding "robbing" your code. I know you were asking for help getting it ported to support Jellyfin, but I really don't recall anything coming out of that beyond someone taking a brief look at what changes would need to be made. If you could provide some insight, I'm sure we could address the issue. That definitely isn't something we want to promote.

Thanks!

Hi @thornbill 

Totally fine with me to clear any misunderstood matters with @Cheesegeezer publicly here, but if more info regarding any work/plugins for your software, should go directly with him in any channel you two like, but not here.

Thanks.

• Like 1