I had trailers but now they're gone......

Soundchasr

Soundchasr

I had trailers set up so that the trailer button showed up like below:

However, I must have done something because now they don't appear.  I was turning off showing trailers before a movie and may have done something then. 

Is there anything I need to check or uncheck that may have made them go away?  

trailer.jpg

Happy2Play

No setting as it is default metadata.

What client?

Does the nfo metadata have the trailer url?

Any custom css?

Soundchasr

I'm running it over a Roku.  

"Does the nfo metadata have the trailer url?" Where would I find that?

When I look at the video on the computer I see the trailer.  However, when I run it on Roku it's not there. 

GrimReaper

AFAIK Roku client app can't play YouTube url trailers (due to the OS restrictions) hence no Trailer button in the UI (or it gained that ability in the meantime as I remember it from some time ago?). 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi. The Roku cannot spawn external applications without the main application losing focus. This means to play those "YouTube Movie Trailers" like the web app does it must be done through an Official Google player. The only official Google Player on Roku is the YouTube application itself. This means to start the trailer from Emby you would need to have Emby on Roku launch YouTube on Roku and start your trailer. This can happen. It is clunky but this can be done. The issue is once you are inside of YouTube it has no context of going back to Emby. So you wind up stuck inside YouTube after playback and to continue using Emby you have to exit YouTube. Then relaunch Emby and possibly log-in all over again. We figured that was much too painful an experience to even admit that was possible. But it is but won't happen because it is a horrible experience that way.

For the Roku to show the trailer button you would need to have those trailers stored with your media. Apologies the Roku application doesn't give context that these cannot be played through YouTube URLs.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159193

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Soundchasr

Ok. I swear the button used to be there! 🙂  Maybe I had the local trailer or something.  So there's no app that can download trailers locally to avoid the YT issue?

GrimReaper
Just now, Soundchasr said:

Ok. I swear the button used to be there! 🙂  Maybe I had the local trailer or something.  So there's no app that can download trailers locally to avoid the YT issue?

This one can, for example.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

having trailers is big deal to my viewing audience

I can relate, I have 10,000+ local trailers attached to media. 🙄

• Haha 1

GrimReaper
22 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

That looks good too.  Does it work well?  

Generally yes, though one might desire a bit more control. 

• Like 1