Storing Library metadata

Damien_
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Damien_

Question- in library advanced settings, you can choose a custom (or default) path where to store all your libraries metadata and artwork. 1684554331_Globallibrarysettings.thumb.png.bba716945cff7d6b0941399a754aba2e.png

Additionally in each individual library settings, you have the option to "store artwork in media folders" -  which explains that "Saving artwork into media folders will put them in a place where they can be easily stored and edited".1477035749_embylibrarysettings.thumb.png.14e4b642f49d473732a250d9851e04cc.png

I was always under the impression that by checking off the "store artwork in media folders" meant it would store the artwork etc within the folders of the media file themselves (artwork would be in the same location as the movie file etc). However this would contradict the option to store metadata in a custom path as mentioned since this wouldn't be with the media folders, and storing them in one location as as global option for all your libraries. 

I'm obviously missing something/not understanding the two options. If someone would be so kind to explain it to me, I would be grateful. Thanks much.

GrimReaper

If you have option Store artwork in media folders enabled, they'll be saved there. If it's disabled, they'll be stored in server metadata folder: custom metadata folder if you have it set, server default otherwise. 

Damien_
2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

If you have option Store artwork in media folders enabled, they'll be saved there. If it's disabled, they'll be stored in server metadata folder: custom metadata folder if you have it set, server default otherwise. 

thanks for jumping in. But what happens if you have a custom path set in the global library option and have the option checked to store in the media folders in the specific library settings (like I do in my screenshots)?

• Solution
GrimReaper
21 minutes ago, Damien_ said:

thanks for jumping in. But what happens if you have a custom path set in the global library option and have the option checked to store in the media folders in the specific library settings (like I do in my screenshots)?

3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Edit: In other words, same will happen as if you don't have custom metadata path set: it'll still be saved with your media. Server metadata folder (either default or custom) is used for artwork only if you don't save artwork with media.

Edited by GrimReaper
Rephrase
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Yes Grim has covered the library option "Save with Media"

Metadata will be used for Chapter images and bif file (but has an option to save with media also.  

Also used for Marker/FP files (IntroSkip).

As for Custom path, it only applies to imported items at the time the path is applied.  All previously imported items will use original path as changing path does not migrate existing items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damien_
13 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes Grim has covered the library option "Save with Media"

Metadata will be used for Chapter images and bif file (but has an option to save with media also.  

Also used for Marker/FP files (IntroSkip).

As for Custom path, it only applies to imported items at the time the path is applied.  All previously imported items will use original path as changing path does not migrate existing items.

Ah, makes sense, thanks a lot to you and @GrimReaper for taking the time to explain. Appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1