utility to cut video

justinrh

justinrh

Does someone know of a reliable GUI tool I can use to scrub a TS video to cut out certain sections, then save it back to TS w/o any transcode (no processing)?

I've tried a few apps (including avidmux) but they have not been reliable or they force a transcode.

Yeah, I'm lookin' at you @arrbee99 😆

arrbee99

Yes well, I'm good at looking for them, not so good at finding them.

I just chopped the beginning and end off a two and a half hour .ts recording and saved it as a .ts fine using Avidemux though. Seemed OK to me. Just a SD not HD movie. Don't think Avidemux is too bad if you stick to keyframes.

• Agree 1

arrbee99

Nothing special -

Video Output - Copy

Audio Output - Copy

Output format - Mpeg TS Muxer (ff) - the only thing that mentioned TS

• Thanks 1

justinrh

That's what I tried and I get an error upon save.  But sometimes I can't even get the cuts to work.  🙄

arrbee99

Well mostly I'm editing mkvs and mp4 and I just get Avidemux moaning occasionally about saving not on keyframes, which I guess is different from your situation. Sometimes with that it helps to let it save and then just load the saved version back into Avidemux and save it again without any editing / changes at all.

So might possibly help if you can edit, and if it will save to do that (even if its not a keyframe thing). Or maybe try loading the original into avidemux and saving without changes as a new .ts file, then actually editing that new one.

jasonmcroy

Avidemux will only save without transcoding the file if you make the cuts on I-frames. Even if the cuts are not on I-frames it's supposed to only transcode the section at the cut and re-join the file together. However, I have found that doing it that way sometimes makes the overall video file out of sync with the sounds to video. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1