Too much buffering on Wifi connection

Toys7505

Toys7505

Hello Forum!

First time poster here but have been using MB2.6 currently. I built a test rig to try out MB3. I have downloaded and installed the Server portion (only 25 BD rips in mkv container). I have installed the Android app, it connects fine and can play movies but there is too much buffering going. The movie will play for 5-10 minutes then stop for 15-20 seconds, then resume playing again. The phone I'm using is a Samsung S5. My test rig consists of an Intel G3220 Pentium chip, ASRock H81M-ITX motherboard, 4GB of RAM and Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Being a total newb to this, what are some suggestions to help alleviate the buffering I'm experiencing?

Thanks!

Toys

cole7007

I am certainly no expert on this but your setup seems like it should be fine.  I would guess that the stuttering problems have something to do with your wifi or the bitrate that you're streaming at.

A couple troubleshooting suggestions:

1) Try to load up the web version of MB3 on a computer that is hardwired and check for stuttering

2) Try a different mobile device to see if you can replicate the stuttering

3) Go into settings on your mobile client and change the bitrate to as low as possible, then work your way up until you see stuttering

4) Check your CPU load on the server to see what it's at when transcoding

Hope this helps a bit.  Good luck!

Toys7505

I am certainly no expert on this but your setup seems like it should be fine.  I would guess that the stuttering problems have something to do with your wifi or the bitrate that you're streaming at.

A couple troubleshooting suggestions:

1) Try to load up the web version of MB3 on a computer that is hardwired and check for stuttering

2) Try a different mobile device to see if you can replicate the stuttering

3) Go into settings on your mobile client and change the bitrate to as low as possible, then work your way up until you see stuttering

4) Check your CPU load on the server to see what it's at when transcoding

Hope this helps a bit.  Good luck!

Thanks for the reply and the help.......

I actually un-installed and then re-installed the app and it seems fine now. Playing Disney's Planes right now and do not have any stuttering or buffering on my wifi connection - I've been letting it play for 15 minutes now and not one stutter - WaHOOOO!! (excited). Now I'm gonna test my 4g/3g connection to see if its the same. I have checked the bitrate and it defaulted to "6.0 Mb/s" but have the option to select up to "21.0 Mb/s".......

Toys

Redshirt

On cellular, you should be set to 1.x Mb/s. The phone won't be able to receive data any faster. Anything faster than 2 Mb/s will need a wi/fi connection.

Toys7505

On cellular, you should be set to 1.x Mb/s. The phone won't be able to receive data any faster. Anything faster than 2 Mb/s will need a wi/fi connection.

When I set it that low, I get no playback at all (using a Samsung S5). It gets better as I jack it up. In fact I get the best performance at 21 Mb/s on 4G, still get buffering. Up in the righthand corner, I see the following "Transcode: hls, ts, h264, aac" when I have a movie playing. Mind you, I am testing Blu Ray rips (1:1) done with MakeMKV.

Toys

Toys7505

So I disabled "hls" in the setting menu on Android app and now I'm able to play movies with no buffering or stuttering. CPU usage is still pretty high hovering around 95% but I will chaulk that up to a low end Intel Pentium processor (G3220). Once I'm convinced I have no more bugs, I'll move MB3 server to my MAIN HTPC with a i5 3570k processor which should have no problem.............

Thoughts?

Toys

Redshirt

Not every Android device supports HLS, even though Google says otherwise. The joys of a fragmented OEM/carrier ecosystem. Based on the information provided, I don't know if the server is even starting the transcode process when HLS is enabled. Server & transcode logs might shed light on that. Given the fact that the server is a G3220, it's no surprise it's struggling trying to transcode 1:1 blu ray rips. I'd think the i5 will do much better as a server.

Toys7505

Not every Android device supports HLS, even though Google says otherwise. The joys of a fragmented OEM/carrier ecosystem. Based on the information provided, I don't know if the server is even starting the transcode process when HLS is enabled. Server & transcode logs might shed light on that. Given the fact that the server is a G3220, it's no surprise it's struggling trying to transcode 1:1 blu ray rips. I'd think the i5 will do much better as a server.

Redshirt -

If I posted a log, would that give you some insight as to what is happening using my current test rig?

Toys