HDHomeRun Recorded TV

bling26

I have used my HDHomeRun for many years and all has been great up until a few weeks ago when my recorded shows seem like they are playing at 12fps. You can really see jitteriness in sports when the camera pans over a distance or there is much movement. The Live TV is also affected. Other videos are fine like movies and TV playing from standard MKV files on my server. I am able to repeat this on multiple computers using Emby Theater. If I play the same recorded TS video file using VLC, it plays fine. I am pretty sure that nothing changed with my Emby server/theater config HOWEVER I am not ruling anything out. Anyone else have the same issue? Let me know if you need more information please and thanks ahead of time.

Edited by bling26

Small edit (made above). Live TV is affected too, I was wrong in my original post. I have updated my post above to reflect my new findings.

bling26
3 hours ago, justinrh said:

Have you rebooted the tuner?  Did it get an update recently?

I did not reboot it before I noticed the issue however I have rebooted it to test. There was also an update so I processed that. Keep in mind though, the recorded and Live TV only seems to be affected while watching in Emby Theater (x86 install) but I can take those same recorded shows and play them in VLC and they play fine. Thanks for the reply.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Luke said:

@bling26 are you still having an issue with this?

I was but I made some significant changes to my setup and that issue has been resolved however I created others. I purchased some new hardware so I can try to resolve all but waiting on supply chain. We can consider this resolved at least for now. Thank you for the follow up.

Well after making significant changes, my original issue still remains. It is completely related to Emby Theater. I am unable to reproduce the jitteriness issue using different apps, even Emby via web. let me know what I can provide that will help provide more clarity. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, does this only happen with .ts files?

I think so, all of my other videos play fine MKV, MP4, hell I still have divx and AVI too. I have been able to localize this down to the Emby theater x86 windows install. It even does it on other computers. Web player works great tho.

• 4 weeks later...

Are your video drivers up to date? How have you configured video settings in Emby Theater?

bling26

Everything is basically auto except I have OpenGL checked however I have tried that option both ways. I have also tried interpolation as well as preferred refresh rates. None of it really changed much with the issue.

Edited by bling26

bling26
20 hours ago, Luke said:

Are your video drivers up to date? How have you configured video settings in Emby Theater?

Yes video drivers are fully updated as of a few days ago. Is there a way I can export those settings to make it easier for you to read?

JackBowman

Is your network WiFi/router, or cabling causing data flow to get bogged down between the Emby server and the HDHomeRun tuner? I had a bad network cable one time that caused my OTA channels to degrade in quality. New cable and the problem went away. I am guessing the bad cable slowed things down from 100mb to 10mb. Not sure, but just a thought for you.

Jack

bling26
14 hours ago, JackBowman said:

Is your network WiFi/router, or cabling causing data flow to get bogged down between the Emby server and the HDHomeRun tuner? I had a bad network cable one time that caused my OTA channels to degrade in quality. New cable and the problem went away. I am guessing the bad cable slowed things down from 100mb to 10mb. Not sure, but just a thought for you.

Jack

I don't think so because I am able to play the same file or live TV using a different app on the same computer with no issue. Even Emby web app works well. This seems to be localized to Emby Theater for Windows x86 (not store app). Thanks tho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 7:30 PM, bling26 said:

No, what makes you think that?

You said x86 install. Can you try the 64-bit version of Emby Theater?

bling26
5 hours ago, Luke said:

You said x86 install. Can you try the 64-bit version of Emby Theater?

Oh, I see, no sorry, I said X86 meaning a traditional EXE install, not the Windows store modern app install. My bad with the miscommunication. I am sure it is the x64 install. The version that is installed is 3.0.19 but is there a way I can confirm it is x64? Normally I would see which program files folder it would be located in however it does not seem to be installed there.

• 3 weeks later...
bling26
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Yeah, I just checked. Aside from Emby updates, nothing else has really changed. I have been using VLC as a work around to watch recorded TV.

visproduction

.ts file playback stuttering is a known issue.  I have run into this, as well.  VLC may handle this automatically, possibly because an additional parameter is turned on automatically. 

--demux avformat

I don't do TV capture.  Does the capture have to create .ts files?  Is there an option, not to do that?  Is this coming from a source or hardware encoder that only shows media in .ts?

I convert .ts always to .mp4 using my preferred video encoder.  You can also do this with a command line and ffmpeg.  You can create a batch file or script and run through however many files you like to convert them.  To be clear, one running of the batch file can convert hundreds of videos from .ts to .mp4 or .mkv if you prefer.

Maybe there is a way to incorporate the extra smoother .ts playback feature into Emby, but why ask a server to do more conversion work, every time a .ts file is played, if you can fix it so playback is a lighter process and doesn't need to do an additional process on the file.  Eliminate .ts files alltogether, is a perferred fix in my opinion.

See:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=145408

Re: Choppy TS playback & What to convert TS files to if Needed

•  

Postby paultry » 23 Feb 2019 18:58

For .ts files stored on and streamed from a Windows machine, copy ffmpeg.exe to windows\system32; create a .bat file containing {for %%f in (*.ts) do call ffmpeg -i "%%~f" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "%%~nf.mp4"} (omit the brackets) in folder containing .ts files. Run the .bat file - takes just a few minutes to create .mp4 copy of .ts, video and audio quality equal to original, which streams nicely to Android VLC and to WDTV Live.

Edited by visproduction

bling26
9 hours ago, visproduction said:

.ts file playback stuttering is a known issue.  I have run into this, as well.  VLC may handle this automatically, possibly because an additional parameter is turned on automatically. 

--demux avformat

I don't do TV capture.  Does the capture have to create .ts files?  Is there an option, not to do that?  Is this coming from a source or hardware encoder that only shows media in .ts?

I convert .ts always to .mp4 using my preferred video encoder.  You can also do this with a command line and ffmpeg.  You can create a batch file or script and run through however many files you like to convert them.  To be clear, one running of the batch file can convert hundreds of videos from .ts to .mp4 or .mkv if you prefer.

Maybe there is a way to incorporate the extra smoother .ts playback feature into Emby, but why ask a server to do more conversion work, every time a .ts file is played, if you can fix it so playback is a lighter process and doesn't need to do an additional process on the file.  Eliminate .ts files alltogether, is a perferred fix in my opinion.

See:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=145408

It used to be fine which is what really stinks. As far as TS options, I use my emby to manage my HDHR so that is how it choses to record unless I am missing something. A automated script is a good work around. I do not record much TV, in fact about the only thing I watch on TV is the Chiefs during football season LOL. 

• Like 1