Issue with Identify

breezytm

breezytm

Since there are different servers I am not sure where this belongs so I put it in the general section. Feel free to move if necessary. I am having issue matching a tv show. 

The Killing. There are two versions of it but MBS insisting on giving me the same info for both even if I manually identify it as "The Killing US". 

http://www.themoviedb.org/tv/34415-the-killing

http://www.themoviedb.org/tv/32368-forbrydelsen

While ya at it, can ya download fanart and info for empty directories. Thanks. 

How do we know what an empty directory is supposed to be?  Could be a movie could be a tv series could just be a folder you want to use to organize things...

breezytm

My bad let me clarify. 

If I have a tv show or a movie folder with the proper naming but that is empty (no media file in there), can the info and fanart be downloaded. 

We are still both saying the same thing. Btw I actually support this request but have met with resistance for the reason I outlined.

• Like 1

breezytm

We are still both saying the same thing. Btw I actually support this request but have met with resistance for the reason I outlined.

Oh ok. I thought you misunderstood what I said. My bad.

However, I still don't understand the drawback. If I create a folder under my "tv shows" main folder call "Dexter", what other possible use can I have for it other than putting my dexter seasons and episodes? or a folder call "300 (2006)" as a sub to my movies folder.

i think we may end up doing it but some people do like to have nested subfolders. so it has to be done with care so that people can opt out of that if they need to.

But that would probably only be for tv. For movies you should just use the xbmc stub convention that we already support.

I understood but the issue is there is ambiguity there.  We can't tell the difference between a folder you just created for a new movie and one you just created to organize your content.

I would like to see us treat any empty folder in a collection designated as TV as a new series but even that isn't foolproof because, if you are creating a structure for your TV series, you will have an empty folder as you are creating that.

breezytm

I think xbmc leverage that pretty well for movies. The user tells the scanner the folder structure.

'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title'

breezytm

Maybe I am still not explaining correctly  :D and for that I apologize again. 

Folder structure is as follow

\TV Shows (main folder)

|------------> \The Killing (sub folder with media)

|------------> \The Killing US (subfolder but empty)

\Movies (main folder)

|------------> \3 Days to Kill (2014) (sub folder with media file)

|------------>\47 Ronin (2013) (subfolder but empty)

XBMC already does what I am asking for by the way. If you add an empty tv series or movie in a movies or tv shows directory xbmc will detect it and add the fanart and info. I hope I am making sense now. 

kingfenix

cant the type, tv or movie, be determined based on the type of folder in the media library folders section of the server? so if a empty tv show folder exists under a media library which is set as TV type, then treat it as tv and fill it up.

cant the type, tv or movie, be determined based on the type of folder in the media library folders section of the server? so if a empty tv show folder exists under a media library which is set as TV type, then treat it as tv and fill it up.

Yes, that is my suggestion but it is not foolproof.

Suppose you are in the process of organizing your TV series so you create a new folder called "Kid's show".  Then, before you can move anything into it, our new super-duper auto-discovery process deems you have just created the series "Tom & Jerry's Kid's Show" and starts filling it with metadata.

I do think that scenario is only about 2% of the cases which is why I support what you are asking for but it is an ambiguity that will occur for some people.

breezytm

What mechanism are you guys using to determine the tv series or movies? I am asking because if it searches IMDB or TheTVDB nothing returns for "Tom & Jerry" so the scanner can ignores the folder and move on. But if it does return something that means the tv series is legit because it has a match.

If the worry is sometimes users use nested folders. Add your recommended folder structures to the wiki. Leave up to the user to follow it as a guideline and best practice. I know you guys rather the users do little to minimum work and it's understandable. Sometimes certain things are beyond your control. 

"Kid's Show" would return the example I gave you and we want to continue to support organization folders.

We try to match on some loose naming whenever possible because people don't always get things exactly right.  But, like I said, I feel like we are getting it wrong most of the time now so if we switch and get it wrong in the scenario where people have organization folders I still think that would be okay.

breezytm

I got you. I must be honest. The scanner gets some of my stuff wrong all the time. Which is pretty shocking to me since my naming convention is pretty generic. It's just gives me something random.  When using manual search it finds it without any issue. But it works pretty well for the most part so I am not complaining.

Edit: example:

\2012 (2009)

2012.mkv

Edited by breezytm

example:

\2012 (2009)

2012 (2009).mkv

I just added that exact file and folder and MBS brought it in properly no problem...

kingfenix

one thing im learning elsewhere that may be relevant even here...if you have any other programs like sickbeard, or mediacentermaster which might be editing your metadata xml files...that causes problems, I recommend setting all other programs to not touch the metadata now and letting MB do it...

breezytm

I just added that exact file and folder and MBS brought it in properly no problem...

I apologize dude. I didn't mean to waste your time. I wasn't being literal about the whole thing. I was giving an example of my file and folder naming structure. I do have a real scenario for you though. I took the screenshot yesterday and forgot to send it. 

543fe4558075e_Untitled.png

Okay, I misunderstood.

You probably have issues sometimes because of the way your folders are named ("Incredibles, The" instead of "The Incredibles").  We try to support this but I can definitely see how it would trip up the searching in some cases.

If you go to the movie db and search for "The Incredibles" the first one found will be the proper movie.  But, if you search for "Incredibles, the" the first one found will be the making of movie.  Not sure why but that's how their search engine is prioritizing them.

• Like 1

breezytm

one thing im learning elsewhere that may be relevant even here...if you have any other programs like sickbeard, or mediacentermaster which might be editing your metadata xml files...that causes problems, I recommend setting all other programs to not touch the metadata now and letting MB do it...

That's why i keep metadata libraries separate. 

breezytm

Okay, I misunderstood.

You probably have issues sometimes because of the way your folders are named ("Incredibles, The" instead of "The Incredibles").  We try to support this but I can definitely see how it would trip up the searching in some cases.

If you go to the movie db and search for "The Incredibles" the first one found will be the proper movie.  But, if you search for "Incredibles, the" the first one found will be the making of movie.  Not sure why but that's how their search engine is prioritizing them.

Is that my fault and something that I need to fix on my end going forward or something that the scanner needs fixing to handle properly. Plex and XMBC handles the naming just fine.

Whatever works. I know you guys got a lot on ya plate. 

breezytm

I can confirm your statement to be correct. I added a new movie with ",the" in it and it went totally wrong. 

\Kids HD Movies\Lego Movie, The (2014)\The Lego Movie.mkv

The scanner returned 

Lego Batman: The Movie - DC Superheroes Unite  :D 

I will just manually identify them for now until you guys find a remedy. It's not a show stopper. Changing names would require me to rescan libraries in other applications that are working just fine. 

Edited by breezytm

And your example shows how this is even more complicated because we can't just look for something ending with ", the" due to the potential existence of a date as well.  So we'll need our regex experts to figure out if we can identify those and re-form them in a way that the search routines on the provider work better.

• Like 1

I'm sure it is something we could improve on but we'd have to examine all folder names and look for if they end with ", the" or ", a" and then re-form them before searching.  I think we may do that but only after the first search fails and, in this case, the first search doesn't fail.  So, if that's the case, we may be able to move the re-forming to before the first search and get better at this.

You can probably fix it faster than we can though ;).