Sound delay when streaming media using wireless headset

GPFocus17
Go to solution Solved by GPFocus17,

GPFocus17

Hello,

I'm using Emby server 4.7.10.0 on Ubuntu Linux, and clients on FireCube, Shield and android phone (with Chrome browser and app).

I'm overall satisfied of my setup, which has great flexibility and features for streaming media from anywhere.

I recently ran into a glitch, after upgrading my cell phone to a "Google Pixel 6A" with "Pixel buds A" wireless headset:
(Note that this phone doesn't have the 3.5mm connector for a wired headset).

Whenever I stream media using the cell phone and the "Pixel buds", I notice that the sound is lagging 1/4-1/2 sec behind the picture.

I suppose there is some "sound delay" due to the rf transmission to the buds.

Is there a way from the client device (or server) to set a "sound delay offset" to compensate this effect?
Couldn't find anything to that effect.

For example, an adjustable sound delay offset in +/- 50ms steps on the client while tapping +/- keys "live" would be great!

Thanks

GP

GPFocus17

Hello,

Additional informations about the sound delay issue with Bluetooth headset:

the delay mentioned occurs when using the "web client" with Firefox (mobile) browser.

I did another test using the Emby (android) app.

In this case there is no significant sound delay, however I normally don't use this app, as I noticed that the playback controls (play/pause, skip fwd/rev etc) often don't come up when tapping the screen (sometimes have to tap up to 10 times...), or sometimes the controls come up, but don't work.

With the web client on Firefox, the screen controls always come up and work, making it my favorite client.

And there is no sound delay with Firefox when using the phone speakers.

-----------

Cell phone: Google Pixel 6A

Android version:  13 (TQ1A.221505.011)

Firefox version: 108.1.1

Emby app version: 3.2.90

Emby server version: 4.7.11.0 (running on Ubuntu 22.04)

Thanks.

GP

• Solution
GPFocus17

Hello,

My issues have been solved today by my co-worker friend "rouq".
I'm posting here as it may help others:

Solution summary:

- to not have a significant sound delay when using a wireless headset, use the Emby Android app, rather than a browser (web client),

- to operate the playback controls in the Emby Android app, tap the screen only "very briefly", so that the actions are registered as "short taps" ("long taps", which I was sometimes doing, are apparently ignored by this app).

I mentioned not having the playback control issue using the Firefox browser (web client), probably because it acts the same on  short and long taps, making it "less finicky" to use.

Suggestion for future versions of the Emby Android client: modify the playback controls interface so that short and long taps have the same effect, which will make it more user friendly :)

PS: "live sound delay controls" would still be useful in the web client, for those who prefer to use a browser...

Thanks,

GP