Video not "smooth" while watching....

Soundchasr
Go to solution Solved by Soundchasr,

Soundchasr

While watching this movie the camera panning wasn't smooth.  It sort of stuttered.  I copied the stats for nerds but not sure what to do.  Thanks for any tips.  

Stats.jpg

16 hours ago, Soundchasr said:

the camera panning wasn't smooth

Hi. That is a classic symptom of a mis-matched frame rate.  I notice the item you were playing was at 24fps.  Does your display have a 24 or 48hz mode?

Soundchasr

Thanks for the replies.  My bad for posting this right before Xmas. I'm running around doing holiday stuff so I probably won't be able to explore this for a few more days.  

Regarding the display, we're using this projector:  https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fy1fakKy6lE/p_158W5000ES/Sony-VPL-XW5000ES-Black.html
However, when I did the stats for nerds screenshot I was just playing it on my computer.  I have to do it with the projector and Roku when I get a chance.  

Soundchasr

@Luke

Attached is the log file from today.  I watched the relevant portion and then attempted to fix the playback issue.  1.jpg is before attempting playback fix.  2.jpg is after.  I tried one last time and then got an error that there were no supported files. 

Thanks! 

2.jpg

1.jpg

embyserver.txt

Hi.  What mode is your display in?  The example you posted before was a 24fps video.  If your display is in 30 or 60hz mode, what you are going to see is exactly what you described - stuttering in panning scenes.

Soundchasr

@ebr

Ignore my original post stats.  That was when I was watching it on my computer which isn't relevant.  The issue occurs when I watch with the projector and roku.  See my post from today.  

seanbuff
25 minutes ago, Soundchasr said:

Ignore my original post stats.  That was when I was watching it on my computer which isn't relevant.  The issue occurs when I watch with the projector and roku.  See my post from today.  

ebr's question is still valid though. What is the framerate of the video, and more importantly what is your projector's playback refresh mode?

Check your media files framerate at the bottom on the details page:
image.png.f14c5717a3a264db366238340c00f5b2.png

and then look to see if you can pull up the projectors OSD while something is playing, it should show its current display mode.

Ultimately, you want your projector to match the framerate of the media being played ideally.

• Like 1

Soundchasr

Here is the video info from Emby and the info I was able to pull from the projector.  I wasn't able to find much in the projector settings. I hope this helps.  

Emby_Vid.jpg

Sony.jpg

Yep, the projector is running at 60hz and the video is at 24.  Since those are not evenly divisible by each other, you end up with some frames having to be repeated by the display - resulting in the judder you are seeing.

See if your projector has a 24 or 48hz display setting.

Soundchasr

Sony Community support and AVS forums are saying that it isn't something I can change, that it's automatic.  Not sure what to do now.  I haven't found anything in the manual that helps other than the list above but there's no way to choose....

• Solution
Soundchasr

Looks like I found a solution - in the Roku, advanced display settings - changed to auto-adjust display refresh rate.  Seems to have fixed it!

• Thanks 1