Trailers (limit # of days /overall limit)

techywarrior

techywarrior

Luke, I could have sworn that there used to be a setting that you could set the Trailers plugin to only keep trailers for a certain period of time but I couldn't find that anymore (just a limit on how long downloaded/cached trailers were kept).

Was I imagining that setting or has it been removed? If so, what does it default to now? Any chance we could get some sort of customizable limit back?

I like having the trailers just so I can quickly look at the list and see if something looks interesting and then I can watch the trailer. But I'd prefer to just have at MOST the trailers in the past 30 days. I'm just trying to keep parts of the setup clean and streamlined (at least for myself)

I'm not sure I understand the people who are trying to replicate the "theater experience" by having the most annoying features from the cinema brought home (lots of trailers, trivia, intros etc.) lol.

I think, for cinemaphiles, trailers are important because they usually watch in replica theater environments. Not just a chair, coffee table, and a TV so to speak. To help boost the experience you expect screening from film you need trailers and such. Then with these changes from trailer, to intro, to feature presentation this gives people opportunity to do neat things. Like dim lights halfway as trailer starts, dim all the way as main feature begins, and bring up the lights all the way when its finished. These may not be possible yet but can be. Some even have popcorn poppers in this same room. To eat the popcorn and smell the cooking popcorn as the aroma fills the theater. This adds the same elements the real experience offers for a group. So I can see the appeal to offer this to people with the resources to build such an experience. More power to them.

I only remember seeing two settings for it. Size of collection, and duration but these only affect trailers downloaded from the trailer channel, not the local trailer plugin.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

There use to be a setting on the trailer plugin itself now it is a trailer archive option.

techywarrior

Speechles, that's how people seem to use it but I just don't "get" it. I have a solid setup but the whole reason I did it was so I don't have to deal with going to the theatre, dealing with annoying people talking, and watching 20 minutes of trailers before the movie I actually paid to watch starts :)

Speechles, that's how people seem to use it but I just don't "get" it. I have a solid setup but the whole reason I did it was so I don't have to deal with going to the theatre, dealing with annoying people talking, and watching 20 minutes of trailers before the movie I actually paid to watch starts :)

Techy, I agree and I wrote the intros plug-in  :D but I never use it personally.  I also have a dedicated theater with 120" screen.  But, there are obviously enough folks who do want this to warrant us providing it as an option.

Sorry, I can't answer your question about the trailers option.  That plug-in expanded a lot in the last round so some things were changed.

techywarrior

Techy, I agree and I wrote the intros plug-in  :D but I never use it personally.  I also have a dedicated theater with 120" screen.  But, there are obviously enough folks who do want this to warrant us providing it as an option.

Sorry, I can't answer your question about the trailers option.  That plug-in expanded a lot in the last round so some things were changed.

Oh yea, my issue isn't in providing the options for people. Hell, I wrote the Chrome extension and I barely use Chrome :)

Maybe Luke can chime in about the trailers plugin. Or perhaps he has read this and it's already on the list for the plugin. But it's just nice to at least know what the plugin is doing. As it is there are issues I brought up months ago with it that were never resolved (or perhaps just deemed not important enough for now)

jluce50

Some of us find that if it weren't for the people (and not being able to pause for bathroom breaks), we quite enjoy the theater experience. Options like this one allow us to get the best of both worlds. Different strokes...

techywarrior

That's cool and all. And I'm not asking to remove that functionality for you. I'd just like to not be required to watch 2 trailers. For now I have the functionality disabled, and if it doesn't change I won't ever enable it. But if I can limit it to 1 trailer then I may. Of course I may find that annoying as well and just disable it again :)