Add media file name and location to main library popup box

Loondawg

Loondawg

Please. please, please add the file name and location to the main popup menu for library items. I attached a file with a quick mock-up to show what I'm suggesting.

Emby is usually pretty good about finding metadata. But it sometimes does not find anything. And even worse, sometimes it finds the wrong files. And that can be really hard to audit and seems far more cumbersome to correct than it should be.

What would help enormously would be if the filename and path were included with the title in the main popup box on library items. That would make it so much easier to compare what Emby recorded versus what the file name saved on disk. Being able to see and copy that text would make it much easier to identify problems quickly and to work with problems when found.

You currently can get the file name and location by selecting the sub menu "identify." But that means extra steps on every file being checked. It does not sound like much but it becomes a major annoyance pretty quickly when working with multiple files or huge libraries. If that information just appeared on the main popup it would make working with Emby metadata so much easier.

I know there are other ways to accomplish this. But when browsing the library and something seems wrong it would be so nice to be able to give one quick click and see what's there and start to fix it.

emby_suggestion_filepath.png

Hi, yes I guess it's possible in theory although that context menu is already a little crammed to begin with.

Loondawg

Thanks for considering it. I do hope it can be added as it is a pretty important piece of information about the media. And it would make using Emby so much easier (for me at least).

it looks like there should be room by the icon. In the mock-up, I actually moved the title and year up a little to make it all fit nicely in the available space without changing fonts or anything else.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

True but there are so many topics that do not want media info or paths shown at all as path is only relevant to one person the admin.  If added personally think it should be restricted to Admin user.

• Agree 1

Loondawg
43 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If added personally think it should be restricted to Admin user.

That kind of restriction would be fine with me. But to the best of my very, very limited knowledge, the ability to see the path is not limited to Admin users only. For example, if a user is allowed to delete files they can see the file path even if they are not an admin. I don't know all the cases where a non-admin can see a path, but that is at least one. Regardless, I would be fine with this being limited to admins only.

13 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

True but there are so many topics that do not want media info or paths shown at all as path is only relevant to one person the admin.  If added personally think it should be restricted to Admin user.

Really, the need for this information isn't just restricted to the Admin user, it is restricted to administrative activity.  Therefore, I don't think it should be in the main context menu presented to end users.  This interface is designed to abstract that kind of detail.  It should be in an administrative area - which it already is, correct?

Loondawg
1 hour ago, ebr said:

It should be in an administrative area - which it already is, correct?

It is. But the concern I am hoping to see addressed is making it quicker and easier for admins, and sometimes with the end user's help, to perform the role of keeping the library clean and accurate. Sometimes the admin should browse the library exactly as the end user sees it to check for problems and correct them. Right now, it is not easy to accomplish that because when you spot a potential problem, it requires too many navigation steps to confirm and/or address it. It becomes tedious very quickly.

I just saw what I suggested as a very simple solution. If there is a better way to address this, I am totally open to it.