Chapter Thumbnails Broken With Intro Markers

DogEyedBoy

DogEyedBoy

I have an issue on my NVIDIA Shield with thumbnails which I believe is due to Intro Markers.

As you can see from the attached images it is still showing the intro marker chapter images whether "show intro markers" is selected or not, and it's also overwriting the correct chapter thumbs. This doesn't happen when viewing on the server (which is the native Emby app on Synology). It also doesn't seem like "show intro markers" is a selectable option on the server at all, only the NVIDIA Shield app.

Show Intro Markers Not Selected.jpg

Show Intro Markers Selected.jpg

Chapter Thumbs on Server.png

4 hours ago, DogEyedBoy said:

whether "show intro markers" is selected or not,

Hi.  Are you sure you confirmed that setting is off?

seanbuff
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Are you sure you confirmed that setting is off?

Well yes, as you can see the timestamp of the chapters actually change too.

I've just tested this myself and can 100% reproduce it.

With the option to show them checked - these are the correct chapters and timestamps
image.png.8bf2c6fe76a769b3646c4d59aac6e160.png

When option to 'show intro markers' is unchecked, the chapters thumbnails and timestamps are wrong -- the times have shifted
image.png.95f5eb67dc1c4691873f54ffc887f429.png

Edited by seanbuff
corrections

seanbuff
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why do you think they've shifted?

Right, so the times themselves haven't shifted (i'll edit that) - but the thumbnails no longer match the correct chapter which is the original description of the OP's post.

Okay, so it isn't that the markers are showing regardless of the option - it is that the images are incorrect with the option off?

seanbuff
12 hours ago, ebr said:

it is that the images are incorrect with the option off?

yes I believe that's the issue

• Agree 1

DogEyedBoy
On 29/11/2022 at 20:14, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

It isn't a problem on the standard android app, but that doesn't have the option to show or hide intro markers so I'm not sure why it would be.

On 30/11/2022 at 15:21, ebr said:

Okay, so it isn't that the markers are showing regardless of the option - it is that the images are incorrect with the option off?

Yes.

rbjtech

Yep - as part of the now defunct Introskip Plugin - adding the Intro Chapters required re-running the Thumbnail task for this exact reason (it was automatic).  

DogEyedBoy
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Yep - as part of the now defunct Introskip Plugin - adding the Intro Chapters required re-running the Thumbnail task for this exact reason (it was automatic).  

I'm not really sure what that means.

rbjtech

I'm simply stating that by adding intro chapters that are 'visable' you need to run/re-run the thumbnail scheduled task which then 'inserts' the new thumbs.  If you are then just showing thumbs order (unrelated to timing) then for clients that do not have the show intro chapters option - then it is always going to be wrong.   This is partly why we made the decision for the introskip plugin to just add them as normal chapters - then they work for all clients.   The downside is you cannot turn them off once they were added short of refreshing the item.  @Cheesegeezer

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
DogEyedBoy

Sorry if I'm seeming dense here, but I'm struggling to see how that pertains to the issue. Is there a solution presented there that I'm not seeing or is it just relevant to the introskip plugin? 

I'll detail from the beginning: I have Generate intro video markers selected as a scheduled task and when media is added. I never had "show intro markers" selected within my Shield app (I only tested it after I noticed this issue) because often times there is already an intro start and end chapter and it just looks bad to have these alongside the generated intro markers. I add a new show, it generates markers and my first image is how it displays within the Shield app. No amount of run/re-run of scheduled tasks will fix this.

On 02/12/2022 at 12:50, rbjtech said:

for clients that do not have the show intro chapters option - then it is always going to be wrong.

It shows correctly (as far as I can tell) on all my other clients but not the Shield, which is the only one with the option to show the intro chapters.

• 2 weeks later...
seanbuff
9 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

So there's no solution to this?

Android TV beta version was recently released that resolves this

2.0.84 (20 Dec)

• Check device for AV1 support
  • Fix chapter images wrong with intro markers
  • Fix jump list showing when shouldn't
  • Obey rating display setting (cannot edit)
  • Update translations
  • Don't direct play mpeg2/divx

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

So there's no solution to this?

There is but the Dev's need to acknowledge that their method of showing the 'Markers' as viewable chapters is not an ideal solution.

The Introskip plugin has imo a much more eloquent solution which is to just add the 'Intro' as a proper chapter - keeping the Hidden markers 'hidden' ;)

In the example below 'Intro' is inserted (at IntroStart) and it finishes at IntroEnd - then the next chapter is re-timed to start at IntroEnd.

image.thumb.png.9526f2578733263bceb932b36389f232.png

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

There is but the Dev's need to acknowledge that their method of showing the 'Markers' as viewable chapters is not an ideal solution

I disagree.  With your solution, people cannot NOT show them.

This issue is solved in the latest beta.