1821+ Tone Mapping

majorsl

majorsl

I'm due for a Synology Upgrade. My 1817+ served me well, but I have a lot of apps/Docker containers on it and I can see it stressing at times.

I'm looking at the newer 1821+. One thing I've wanted to do occasionally, but not critical, is play some HDR content (2160p) on an older 1080 SDR TV.  Just curious if the 1821+ would be able to do this. Not a deal breaker for me if it can't.

Happy2Play

Do you have Emby Premiere?

What options show via Settings-Transcoding, change Enable hardware acceleration when available: to Advanced.

But would question the AMD outperforming Intel.

DS1817+ Intel Atom C2538 Quad Core 2.4GHz

DS1821+ AMD RyzenTM V1500B quad-core 2.2 GHz

But some of the Synology gurus will have to comment further. @cayars

FrostByte

I have a 1821+ and even though it can transcode it lags behind others when it comes to high bitrate 4K (remuxes) because it lacks any gpu needed for hardware assisted transcoding.

I don't do any transcoding unless testing so not really needed for me.  The Ryzen processor is faster than a lot of the Synology Intel processors and has plenty of power to run server and streaming, but you may want to look at an Intel model with an expansion cabinet if transcoding and lots of bays is a requirement.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:50 AM, majorsl said:

Thanks for the replies, I had a hunch the 1821 still wasn't there for it.

Keep in mind, you don't have to run Emby on the NAS if you have a PC available.  The NAS can be used from Emby's standpoint as just a file server.  That frees up the NAS CPU to do other things for you.

If not using a 10Gb NIC version of a NAS, I'd recommend using both Gb NIC in one of the "bonded" configurations. This will basically double your NAS LAN throughput. This allows you to read or write to the NAS at full speed from your PC. While you may saturate your own NIC on the PC there is still roughly a full Gb of throughput on the NAS for other clients to use with no slowdowns due to lack of bandwidth on the network.

Carlo

majorsl
21 hours ago, cayars said:

Keep in mind, you don't have to run Emby on the NAS if you have a PC available.  The NAS can be used from Emby's standpoint as just a file server.  That frees up the NAS CPU to do other things for you.

If not using a 10Gb NIC version of a NAS, I'd recommend using both Gb NIC in one of the "bonded" configurations. This will basically double your NAS LAN throughput. This allows you to read or write to the NAS at full speed from your PC. While you may saturate your own NIC on the PC there is still roughly a full Gb of throughput on the NAS for other clients to use with no slowdowns due to lack of bandwidth on the network.

Carlo

Good point. I do have 3 of the 4 NICs bonded already. I once ran it on a PC but quit that when I got a NAS.  Now that I use Docker for everything, transportability to the PC for even a quick test shouldn't be difficult.

• Like 1