Music Playback - Song Titles & Cover Thumb During Aerial Screensaver?

KevinSartori
Go to solution Solved by KevinSartori,

KevinSartori

Hi.  I recently purchased an Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen).  I noticed a nice OSD feature while using the Spotify app that would be really nice addition for Emby music playback:

When the Aerial screen saver is running, it shows the artist and song title, plus the cover thumb, at the start of each new song.  It displays this info for about 8 seconds.  Oddly, the album cover thumbnail is intermittent and only displays about half the time.

Any chance we could see this helpful feature added to Emby's music playback?

Thanks!

Edited by KevinSartori

• 3 months later...
KevinSartori

Hi @Luke.  I thought I'd check in on this request.  Have you folks made any progress on determining how apps like Spotify are able to show a What's Playing pop-up on the Apple TV 4K?  Thanks!

• 4 months later...
KevinSartori

Hi Luke,

Yes, Aerial is the default screensaver for the Apple TV device.  Based on that last comment in your GitHub ticket link, it seems like the beta version of Aerial now supports artist and song title display for all audio playback:

It will show any app that playbacks audio in macOS now, including VLC !

Of course, Apple TV devices use tvOS, not macOS, but hopefully that feature will carry over!

Thanks for chasing this down.  I'll keep my eye on the GitHub page for the next release to confirm this works with Emby audio playback!

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

KevinSartori

I just realized that this GitHub page is a project to carry over the Apple TV Aerial screensaver over to macOS devices outside of Apple.  You're correct, @Luke, the comments there do seem to confirm that support for Apple Music and Spotify are hardcoded in.  I wonder if there's someone at Apple you could contact to request they add support for Emby to the Apple TV version of Aerial in the same way that these other developers have with the version for macOS?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
KevinSartori

Thanks for the follow up, Luke!  It works really well and it's really nice to be able to see what song just started playing while the screensaver is enabled!

You know, I think music playback is one of the great underrated features of Emby.  Particularly so on the Apple TV 4K, where there really aren't many options for folks looking for a nice music player geared toward local file playback.  Thanks again for all the effort you continue to put in!

• Thanks 1