Nvidia Shield Pro Pros/Cons

EkoOne

If you use the Nvidia Pro Shield as your Emby server I would be interested in hearing about any pros/cons. I currently use a MacBook Pro which works fine but because I need to frequently unplug/plug since I travel with it daily I want something stationary. I don't want to buy another computer so I thought the Nvidia Shield would be a good choice. I also have the latest Apple TV but I assume that won't work as an Emby server.

Thanks

jakXburn2077

Hey EkoOne,

I've had the shield scince it's release, Emby server works briliant and without problem, it's the first server I used and have not wanted to look elseware. (excluding the new homescreen bug), EmbyWeb frontend on my laptop takes care of all my metadata, it just could not be easier to use for an old duffer like me.

However  The shield is a different matter, scince the update to 9+ firmware, their is nothing but problems, ranging from not being able to transfer files to mapped drives/nas without constant disconects, to having to reboot the shield in between episodes, and constant crashes.

I'm sick of it.

If you can find one with version 8 firmware, then get one, I'm also led to believe you can revert to version 8 firmware via abd commands, but this is beyond my capabilities.

I myself am looking to ditch the shield in favour of one of those miniture computers similar to the rpi.

Good luck

Jak

• 4 weeks later...
Meijinhada

I do have a server that ran on my Shield, but it was just annoying to keep updating since it's not easy to get the update file on there.  But that was several versions ago.  Now I run it off of my Synology NAS, and I have no issues at all.