FireTV 4k Max Force Resolution within Emby

slicedmass

slicedmass

Hello. Is there any way to force the resolution within the FireTV Emby app to be 4k while still honoring framerate matching? The reason I ask is because of the following:

-FireTV requires you to set automatic resolution to have framerate matching enabled

-Emby detects any video that isn't 3840 as 1080p which ruins all 4:3 4k videos that I have.

It would be nice if we could just tell emby to play everything at 4k and then turn on the framerate switching feature. Please add this feature if it is not possible currently.

Hi.  There should be two options.  One to match the framerate and the other to match the resolution.  If you de-select the resolution one and put your device in 4K mode, then it should stay in that resolution - assuming the chain supports the framerate at that resolution.

slicedmass

The problem is that FireTV has to be set to automatic resolution to be able to have framerate switching enabled. If you set the Firetv to 4k/60 then the framerate switching option on the firetv greys out and is disabled. I need a way to force the resolution in Emby itself so that Firetv can stay in auto mode with framerate switching enabled and then emby can play all content at 4k and match framerate.

heres a link that explains that: https://www.aftvnews.com/netflix-finally-adds-frame-rate-matching-for-amazon-fire-tvs-and-fire-tv-sticks/#:~:text=For Frame Rate Matching to,Display %26 Sounds > Display menu.

Edited by slicedmass

Then I don't think it would be possible for us to control that either.  All we are doing is using the device's capability to switch to the modes that it supports.  If the only way the device supports frame rate switching is also with auto resolution, then I think that's just where we are with that.

slicedmass

how is emby deciding and implementing what resolution to use when it plays a video with the match resolution option enabled in emby? is this not happening within the emby app at all?

You cannot set the refresh rate and resolution independently.  The device supports a number of "modes" which combine those two parameters.  We search for a mode that matches the options.  If the resolution match button isn't selected, then we search for a mode with the current resolution the device is reporting and the desired refresh rate.  Every combination of rate and resolution are not necessarily supported.

The Fire device is just odd here in how it is handling this I think.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?