QSV HW Transcoding with 12th gen intel CPU in Unraid

Eagleman04

Eagleman04

I apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, however, after 30-min of trying various key word searches I haven't been able to find a decent match for this request.

Quick background:  I recently migrated from QNAP to a custom build Unraid server.  From a hardware perspective, I'm using a ASUS TUF Z690 Plus Wifi D4 motherboard with a i7-12700K CPU if that matters.  I'm running Unraid 6.11.4 on the software side.

Ok, so now to the problem.  The short explanation is I cannot get QSV to show/work in Emby on Unraid.  The issue I'm experiencing is that when I follow the instructions to get HW transcoding set-up in Unraid, I'm only seeing VAAPI as an option (no QSV).  For those familiar with Unraid, I added the Intel GPU Top from CA, added /dev/dri as a path in the container, and added --device=/dev/dri as an extra parameter.  From my understanding, this should have enabled QSV but as you can see from the attached image, it's not an available option.

I'm hoping this is something stupid on my part as I'm new to Unraid.  But any direction/assistance anyone could provide would be much appreciated.  

Lastly, I have posted this issue in the Unraid forum as well but as I'm unclear if this is an Unraid issue or an Emby issue I thought I'd try here too. 

VAAPI.jpg

Eagleman04

Hi Luke,

Yes, I've tried it with VAAPI and been successful at transcoding.  Just confused why QSV wasn't showing as available.  Perhaps more importantly is that I feel like the picture quality is better when using QSV, although that may be subjective.

Eagleman04

Thank you chacawaca.  So it sounds like an implementation issue in Emby. Glad to hear it's being looked at because I was exhausting all means in Unraid with no luck.

Eagleman04

Quick follow-up.  I downloaded version 4.8.0.19 beta and I now see QSV as an option.  Hopefully 4.8 stable is released before too much longer.  Thanks all for your help.

QSV.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
sross44
On 11/22/2022 at 4:28 PM, Eagleman04 said:

Hi Luke,

Yes, I've tried it with VAAPI and been successful at transcoding.  Just confused why QSV wasn't showing as available.  Perhaps more importantly is that I feel like the picture quality is better when using QSV, although that may be subjective.

Did you ever get QuickSync showing up? I have the exact same processor and I'm stuck trying to figure this out. Tonemapping isn't working for me ugh. 

seanbuff
12 minutes ago, sross44 said:

Did you ever get QuickSync showing up?

Wasn't that confirmed by this follow-up comment?

On 27/11/2022 at 01:15, Eagleman04 said:

Quick follow-up.  I downloaded version 4.8.0.19 beta and I now see QSV as an option.

• Agree 1

sross44
15 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Wasn't that confirmed by this follow-up comment?

Sorry.... I should have phrased it better... was this ever figured out in the stable release or did it only work in the BETA? Ideally would like to only use stable releases.... but if not, it's all good. 

seanbuff
2 minutes ago, sross44 said:

Sorry.... I should have phrased it better... was this ever figured out in the stable release or did it only work in the BETA? Ideally would like to only use stable releases.... but if not, it's all good. 

Cool, yeah looks like it currently only works with Beta which has yet to be promoted to a Stable release. Will have to hang in there a little while longer.

sross44
3 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Cool, yeah looks like it currently only works with Beta which has yet to be promoted to a Stable release. Will have to hang in there a little while longer.

Here's hoping we move it over to stable release soon. Been in beta what seems like much longer than most releases have been in the past.