Can't update to 4.7.x.x on DS215j

Dr_Morbius

Dr_Morbius

I currently have Emby Server v4.6.7.0 installed on my Synology DS215j (Armada CPU) and recieve an error from my Synology NAS running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 whenever I try to install the latest Emby Server 4.7.x.x releases. The error message reads 'This package  is not supported on the platform of DiskStation or is imcompatible with the current DSM version'.

I've tried installing:

emby-server-synology_4.7.0.60_armv7.spk

emby-server-synology_4.7.6.0_armv7.spk

emby-server-synology_4.7.8.0_armv7.spk

emby-server-synology_4.7.9.0_armv7.spk

N.B. If I try to reinstall emby-server-synology_4.6.7.0_armv7.spk (the version currently running on my Synology NAS), I don't recieve this error.

Am I doing something wrong?

Dr_Morbius

I've looked into upgrading to DSM 7 but was confused that Synology state that DSM 7 requires 1Gb of RAM, but that the DS215j (which comes with 512Mb) is supported by DSM 7.

If you do a search for other peoples experiences, it seems that whilst many have updated to DSM 7, the consensus of opinion is that it's safer to stick to DSM 6.

As my NAS is used every day, I'm reluctant to take the gamble when I don't actually need DSM 7 for any good reason. The only reason for me looking to update Emby was to see if it resolved a problem I'm having with the display of subtitles. I'm kinda hijacking my own thread but here's the problem...

A few months ago and seemingly out of the blue, subs failed to show on movies I was viewing...or so I thought. I then started noticing a quick flash of a sub occasionaly which made me realise they were still there, just not displaying correctly. After experimenting I found that If I hit the forward or backward 10s button on my remote, voila! the subs would now show exept for one further issue. Whenever the movie dialogue ends, let say at the end of a movie, of some other part of the movie when there is no speaking, whatever was the last subtitle doesn't disappear from the screen but persists until the next dialogue is heard or the movie ends.

As I say I've lived with it for a few months and only the other day I finally got around to trying to correct the problem, by clearing the TV's (Samsung Q80) cache for Emby first and then uninstalling and reinstalling the Emby app on the TV. None of this worked and so then I thought about updating Emby Server on my NAS...more out of desperation than any real need.

FrostByte
1 minute ago, heffeque said:

I had actually heard the opposite: DSM 7 working better than DSM 6 even on low memory NAS.

Same.  I've always seen people say DSM 7 runs faster even on older machines.  

• 2 weeks later...
Dr_Morbius
15 hours ago, Luke said:

has this helped?

No.

I'm unable to update to DSM 7 because my NAS doesn't reach the minimum RAM requirements. Are you able to confirm that Emby Server 4.7.x.x does instal on a Synology DS215j ?

Thanks

10 hours ago, Dr_Morbius said:

No.

I'm unable to update to DSM 7 because my NAS doesn't reach the minimum RAM requirements. Are you able to confirm that Emby Server 4.7.x.x does instal on a Synology DS215j ?

Thanks

I don't believe we've tested this model personally, but we do support the armv7 architecture so there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Dr_Morbius

Thanks Luke.

I'm left scratching my head wondering why Emby Server 4.6.x.x installs, but 4.7.x.x doesn't.

As I said in one of my posts above, I wouldn't be concerned about trying the upgrade to 4.7.x.x if I could fix the problem I have with subtitles. Do you have any feedback on this issue?

Dr_Morbius

Yes, my NAS is set to update DSM automatically and the last update was to DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 and when I look a little closer it says "this is the latest version available based on your current DSM configuration". I'm going to assume this is the lack of recommended RAM required for DSM 7 and makes me even more nervous to force a DSM 7 update.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, Dr_Morbius said:

Yes, my NAS is set to update DSM automatically and the last update was to DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 and when I look a little closer it says "this is the latest version available based on your current DSM configuration". I'm going to assume this is the lack of recommended RAM required for DSM 7 and makes me even more nervous to force a DSM 7 update.

@Dr_Morbius actually we've seen reports from some users of DSM 7 running better than DSM 6 on older hardware. What did you end up doing?

Dr_Morbius

Hi Luke. I've done nothing. Perhaps one day I may try updating to DSM 7, but for now I'm leaving it on DSM 6, despite the problem I have with subtitles.

• Thanks 1