Option for Transcoding only for LiveTV

Soldize

Soldize

Hello,

Can you add an Option to enable Transcoding only for LiveTV??

best regards Chris

Edited by Soldize

Soldize

Any Channels from my Provider works only with Transcoding to Play in Webbrowser. 

My Videos work perfect without Transcoding. I disable it for any User but i need it for some Iptv Channels.

Edited by Soldize

Happy2Play

Then I would question why is your media transcoding if it can direct play?  As disabling transcoding is only a band aid for an issue which the majority of the time is Auto quality.

• Agree 1

MBSki
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Then I would question why is your media transcoding if it can direct play?  As disabling transcoding is only a band aid for an issue which the majority of the time is Auto quality.

I thought the OP said channels from his provider do NOT direct play. That would be somewhat consistent with other reports of live tv not being able to direct play and skip. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, MBSki said:

I thought the OP said channels from his provider do NOT direct play. That would be somewhat consistent with other reports of live tv not being able to direct play and skip. 

Correct OP is disabling Transcoding per user, so it breaks things that require transcoding.  As LiveTV somewhat requires transcoding to achieve skip.

So to me having users change quality to something beside Auto would achieve desired results but without specific example of why users are transcoding it is only a guess.

To a point Auto should go away and all clients be defaulted to a conservative bitrate would seem more optimal.  As Auto really isn't auto on a remote connection.

MBSki

Ah, gotcha. Yes, changing to a random, fixed quality doesn't grab the best possible quality, but it is a workaround until Auto is configured to work. 

GrimReaper
On 11/22/2022 at 9:22 PM, Soldize said:

I deactivated transcoding because there are some users who have Auto Quality active.

That will not ensure DirectPlay but result in playback failure if Auto Quality (which is often on conservative side) is lower than item bitrate.

Soldize

Google Translate: 

I just asked if it would be possible to install an option in the settings so that the server only transcodes live TV. Don't want to start a discussion here, just an answer from the Dev Team as to whether it would be possible and will be implemented.

best regards

GrimReaper
30 minutes ago, Soldize said:

Don't want to start a discussion here

This is no discussion, I'm just pointing out that your reasoning is faulty and likely to cause issues at some point. 

On 11/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, Soldize said:

Any Channels from my Provider works only with Transcoding to Play in Webbrowser. 

My Videos work perfect without Transcoding. I disable it for any User but i need it for some Iptv Channels.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

My Videos work perfect without Transcoding

Why do they transcode to begin with? Try enabling the transcoding options and then see why.

8 minutes ago, Soldize said:

Close the thread please…

What we're trying to say is that Emby apps will always direct play whenever possible, so generally you shouldn't need to restrict transcoding access.

Soldize

I have users they have Quality setting to Automatic.

many Users look movies in Browser like chrome, firefox… is Transcoding on, the server transcoding. Only i need Transcoding for my 2 iptv slots.

MBSki
6 hours ago, Luke said:

What we're trying to say is that Emby apps will always direct play whenever possible, so generally you shouldn't need to restrict transcoding access.

But it the direct play identification doesn't work for live TV. You already know that Luke.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
clucky

God dammit, I assumed this was already added.

Devs, it's useful because your Android TV app can't direct-play and seek... so I find myself really only enabling transcoding for live TV. My other media direct plays, so it isn't necessary... with the exception of VC1's.

3 hours ago, clucky said:

Devs, it's useful because your Android TV app can't direct-play and seek... so I find myself really only enabling transcoding for live TV

It doesn't have to transcode, only remux and there is an option in the app (even during playback) to enable seeking.

MBSki
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

It doesn't have to transcode, only remux and there is an option in the app (even during playback) to enable seeking.

Is there a way to only remux from the standard Android app? The only way I know of to give live seek to work is by changing the resolution which I thought forced transcoding.