Emby Theater error

GrayAgain

generiq

Yeah, you're both using libmpv, the 'auto' option. Try changing it to gpu-next. It's the first drop down in the video settings.

generiq

For all concerned, when using libmpv in Theater, HDR passthrough is not possible. It will force hardware acceleration copyback. This doesn't support HDR passthrough. Correct playback will fail. You should use 'gpu-next' as the renderer. 

Edited by generiq

Dizzy49
29 minutes ago, generiq said:

Yeah, you're both using libmpv, the 'auto' option. Try changing it to gpu-next. It's the first drop down in the video settings.

That's it.  Working for both files now!

Making the change worked for me... 

does the warning "Enabling gpu may perform better in some environments, but may also cause the..."  no longer apply...?

For me I prefer OOTB working right away.  Expecting those who watch my server to change this setting using the theater app, is next to impossible. LOL

thanks for this solution though as it does work with me as well.

Stan...

image.thumb.png.5a4bf7fec94b849e64a64ad78891bfac.png

generiq

My opinion is that gpu-next should be the default. It should work correctly on all machines, negating the necessity for libmpv. But libmpv can remain as an option. Having gpu-next will also allow Dolby Vision to be played with tone mapping. The other renderers can't do that.

Edited by generiq

Did not come across the issue of a 1080p viewport... it opened in the size I closed it...  And when I played it, the window did not change or reduce in size!

Played to the full frame...

Stan...

image.thumb.png.e830604b29479fd5f4c4135f06049049.png

image.png

So I just tried the lastest. Selected GPU Next and everything is working for me now. Full 4k playback HEVC w/HDR and  ATMOS passthrough to my reciever.

19 hours ago, Lag1791 said:

So I just tried the lastest. Selected GPU Next and everything is working for me now. Full 4k playback HEVC w/HDR and  ATMOS passthrough to my reciever.

What about leaving the renderer on auto instead?

55 minutes ago, Luke said:

What about leaving the renderer on auto instead?

If by renderer you mean "Video Output", if left to auto, you will get the error message that started this whole thread

On 12/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, generiq said:

My opinion is that gpu-next should be the default. It should work correctly on all machines, negating the necessity for libmpv. But libmpv can remain as an option. Having gpu-next will also allow Dolby Vision to be played with tone mapping. The other renderers can't do that.

I guess the question would be is gpu-next ready? They still call it expiremental.

generiq
1 hour ago, Luke said:

I guess the question would be is gpu-next ready? They still call it expiremental.

They call everything experimental. I don't use any other renderer.

@LukeI am still seeing issues with v3.0.18. With the video playback set to auto I can now hear the audio of the media but I cannot see anything. This is 4K HDR source playing on a 4K SDR display, so there is tone mapping. Setting video playback to gpu-next causes the same viewport issue I posted earlier. Here are the server logs:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am62AlYw6ZI2h8EVQmCeyp4LGHHx9g?e=Nk6z81

image.thumb.png.26b018742a780ec169a84de90bffe57d.png

image.thumb.png.024c8c9240ec6c480dffb5e32bf65e20.png

embyserverlogs.zip

2 minutes ago, xRodin said:

@LukeI am still seeing issues with v3.0.18. With the video playback set to auto I can now hear the audio of the media but I cannot see anything. This is 4K HDR source playing on a 4K SDR display, so there is tone mapping. Setting video playback to gpu-next causes the same viewport issue I posted earlier. Here are the server logs:

embyserverlogs.zip 120.06 kB · 0 downloads

Did you try setting the video renderer to gpu next?

generiq
29 minutes ago, xRodin said:

Are you using scaling options in the settings?

3 hours ago, xRodin said:

Can you try this build and let us know how it compares?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjmartey16d2ja1/emby-theater.zip?dl=0

Thanks.

19 hours ago, xRodin said:

Can you please try the new 3.0.19 release and let us know how that compares? Thanks.

@Luke @generiq, I am using the gpu-next option in the video output setting under the video menu, I don't see a video renderer option. I am not using any scaling options in app or the windows dpi settings. Everything is default except the video output. v-3.0.19 from the website has the same issue but interestingly the portable version from github works fine? Even version 3.0.18 from github works fine but neither of the ones installed from the website worked for me... I guess I'll keep using the github version for now. Let me know if you want more data

v-3.0.19 from website with gpu-next:image.thumb.png.8884f0f15eb75ebb64f035796fbdc831.png

v-3.0.19 from github with gpu-next:

image.thumb.png.ca475104dc559435e454b9219e4065a6.png

Some additional info, using v-3.0.17 from github has the same error that started this whole thread when using the "auto" video output option, but using gpu-next makes it work fine.

22 minutes ago, xRodin said:

@Luke @generiq, I am using the gpu-next option in the video output setting under the video menu, I don't see a video renderer option. I am not using any scaling options in app or the windows dpi settings. Everything is default except the video output. v-3.0.19 from the website has the same issue but interestingly the portable version from github works fine? Even version 3.0.18 from github works fine but neither of the ones installed from the website worked for me... I guess I'll keep using the github version for now. Let me know if you want more data

v-3.0.19 from website with gpu-next:image.thumb.png.8884f0f15eb75ebb64f035796fbdc831.png

v-3.0.19 from github with gpu-next:

image.thumb.png.ca475104dc559435e454b9219e4065a6.png

They're the same thing. The installer doesn't have anything built in, so it just downloads the portable and then unpacks it.

@LukeI don't know what to tell you, I uninstalled the version from the website and selected the "remove all trace" option, reinstalled it, and the same issue occurs with the gpu-next video output setting. This issue does not occur with the github version. 

I don't see a video renderer option anywhere in the theater settings. Where can I find it? This is what my video section looks like:

image.thumb.png.861b2534a2cd89add6e8eb7298d93ad1.png

image.thumb.png.e9bf3e865623844b556c774b44a41a2b.png