3.0.17 appears to have broken HEVC playback

AdrianW

AdrianW

..at least on my machine.

I have an old NUC with Intel HD5000 graphics - it's been playing 1080p HEVC perfectly for years. But today it refuses to play - after hitting play, the screen refresh rate changes as usual, the backdrop appears and then nothing. I can bring up the UI (chapters, info, etc) but playback refuses to start. I tried an H264 video and that started playback just fine.

I assume this has something to do with the video settings in 3.0.17, but I have no idea how to get them back the way there were at the start of the week.

I can playback the same HEVC videos manually in mpv without issue, it's just ET that's doing something different than it used to.

I tried video output on Auto, libmvp, gpu and gpu-next (whatever that is) and got the same result with all of them.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's the same but I did have one user that was unable to play HEVC encoded movies using the Windows Store version of ET but had no issues when the desktop version was used. 

You might want to see if V18 still has the same issue and if so attach logs. 

generiq
5 hours ago, AdrianW said:

..at least on my machine.

I have an old NUC with Intel HD5000 graphics - it's been playing 1080p HEVC perfectly for years. But today it refuses to play - after hitting play, the screen refresh rate changes as usual, the backdrop appears and then nothing. I can bring up the UI (chapters, info, etc) but playback refuses to start. I tried an H264 video and that started playback just fine.

I assume this has something to do with the video settings in 3.0.17, but I have no idea how to get them back the way there were at the start of the week.

I can playback the same HEVC videos manually in mpv without issue, it's just ET that's doing something different than it used to.

I tried video output on Auto, libmvp, gpu and gpu-next (whatever that is) and got the same result with all of them.

I suspect it's the audio and not the video. What's the audio of the files and what audio settings are you using, both in the app and/mpv.conf?

AdrianW

I have these audio related lines in my mpv.conf:

[extension.mkv]
profile-desc=cond:p["audio-codec-name"]=="aac" or p["audio-codec-name"]=="mp3"
af=lavcac3enc=yes:640:6

And commenting those lines out did make the video play.  The video is an .mkv with a 2 channel AAC LC audio track. Although the video did play fine in standalone mpv with those config lines still active.

I did try an mkv with a 6 channel AAC track and that did play OK. But, without those config lines it dropped back to stereo.

generiq
10 hours ago, AdrianW said:

I have these audio related lines in my mpv.conf:

[extension.mkv]
profile-desc=cond:p["audio-codec-name"]=="aac" or p["audio-codec-name"]=="mp3"
af=lavcac3enc=yes:640:6

And commenting those lines out did make the video play.  The video is an .mkv with a 2 channel AAC LC audio track. Although the video did play fine in standalone mpv with those config lines still active.

I did try an mkv with a 6 channel AAC track and that did play OK. But, without those config lines it dropped back to stereo.

That's what I thought. I believe the audio settings got a tweak in the new release. I'm not sure what exactly, but I suspect it's interfering with the ac3 re-encoding. If I have time today, I'll poke around and see if I can find a solution.

Edited by generiq

10 minutes ago, generiq said:

That's what I thought. I believe the audio settings got a tweak in the new release. I'm not sure what exactly, but I suspect it's interfering with the ac3 re-encoding. If I have time today, I'll poke around and see if I can find a solution.

The only thing that changed was a slight adjustment to the audio upmix which I don't believe is used for video.

Outside of that this is largely just an updated mpv.

generiq
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

The only thing that changed was a slight adjustment to the audio upmix which I don't believe is used for video.

Outside of that this is largely just an updated mpv.

Something has changed, because it no longer works. Playback stalls. I'll have to look at the logs and see if I can figure out what's happening.

The upmix might actually be affecting this. I need to look at it....

Edited by generiq

5 minutes ago, generiq said:

Something has changed, because it no longer works. Playback stalls. I'll have to look at the logs and see if I can figure out what's happening.

The upmix might actually be affecting this. I need to look at it....

Basically instead of passing 7.1, stereo, we're now passing 7.1, 5.1, stereo, which gives it 5.1 as an additional fallback option.

generiq
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Basically instead of passing 7.1, stereo, we're now passing 7.1, 5.1, stereo, which gives it 5.1 as an additional fallback option.

Ok, that might be the problem. Both filters run once the audio is decoded. They might be stepping on each other.

1 hour ago, generiq said:

Yeah, when I get a minute, I'll poke around. 

I checked and it's only active for music playback.

generiq
2 hours ago, Luke said:

I checked and it's only active for music playback.

I think I figured it out. It's the mpv build. I don't think it has the ac3 encoder or there's something wrong with it. I just replaced it with shinchiro's latest build, and it plays correctly. With your build, it's failing.

[   1.141][v][auto_profiles] Re-evaluating auto profile AAC 5.1 to AC3 
[   1.141][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi
[   1.141][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.141][d][ao/wasapi] Thread shutdown
[   1.234][d][ao/wasapi] Thread uninit done
[   1.234][d][ao/wasapi] Thread return
[   1.234][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi done
[   1.235][v][ao] Trying audio driver 'wasapi'
[   1.235][v][ao/wasapi] requested format: 48000 Hz, stereo channels, spdif-ac3
[   1.235][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi
[   1.235][d][ao/wasapi] Find device ''
[   1.236][v][ao/wasapi] No device specified. Selecting default.
[   1.237][v][ao/wasapi] Selecting device '{e8548375-cf4e-4365-831f-516c4da35f22}' (Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio))
[   1.237][v][ao/wasapi] Monitoring changes in device {0.0.0.00000000}.{e8548375-cf4e-4365-831f-516c4da35f22}
[   1.239][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi thread
[   1.239][d][ao/wasapi] Activating pAudioClient interface
[   1.240][d][ao/wasapi] Probing formats
[   1.240][v][ao/wasapi] Trying stereo spdif-ac3 (16/16 bits) @ 48000hz (exclusive) -> unsupported
[   1.240][d][ao/wasapi] Thread shutdown
[   1.240][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi
[   1.240][d][ao/wasapi] Thread uninit done
[   1.240][d][ao/wasapi] Thread return
[   1.240][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi done
[   1.240][v][ao] Trying audio driver 'openal'
[   1.240][v][ao/openal] requested format: 48000 Hz, stereo channels, spdif-ac3
[   1.305][f][ao/openal] Can't find appropriate sample format.
[   1.465][v][ao] Trying audio driver 'sdl'
[   1.465][v][ao/sdl] requested format: 48000 Hz, stereo channels, spdif-ac3

Edited by generiq

1 hour ago, generiq said:

Scratch that. It's the exclusive mode. Using shinchiro's, it uses shared, so it plays.

How did you determine this? Is it consistent now between both the installed and downloaded builds?

generiq
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

How did you determine this? Is it consistent now between both the installed and downloaded builds?

When I compared the logs, I saw the difference. For whatever reason, shinchiro's build chooses to use shared and not exclusive. I think this is what they've chosen to do in mpv. To allow playback, they silently disable exclusive mode. Your build, does not, and just gets stuck. The previous builds would play through. I'm guessing they would fall back to shared, but I haven't tested that.

generiq
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is this an issue even with exclusive mode disabled in theater settings?

Ok, so now I don't understand what's happening. It plays one time then it doesn't. Shinchiro's works every time.

generiq

So, the logs show where playback is restarted. And using the Emby build, playback not shown to restart. I wonder if that ffmpeg IMGUTILS error is the cause?

Emby mpv

[   1.172][v][af]   lavcac3enc (lavcac3enc.00)
[   1.172][e][ffmpeg] IMGUTILS: Picture size 0x0 is invalid
[   1.172][v][af] [lavcac3enc] 48000Hz 5.1 6ch floatp
[   1.173][v][af] [userspeed] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3
[   1.173][v][af] [convert] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3
[   1.173][v][auto_profiles] Re-evaluating auto profile AAC 5.1 to AC3 
[   1.173][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi
[   1.173][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.173][d][ao/wasapi] Thread shutdown
[   1.270][d][ao/wasapi] Thread uninit done
[   1.270][d][ao/wasapi] Thread return
[   1.271][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi done
[   1.271][v][ao] Trying audio driver 'wasapi'
[   1.271][v][ao/wasapi] requested format: 48000 Hz, stereo channels, spdif-ac3
[   1.271][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi
[   1.271][d][ao/wasapi] Find device ''
[   1.272][v][ao/wasapi] No device specified. Selecting default.
[   1.273][v][ao/wasapi] Selecting device '{e8548375-cf4e-4365-831f-516c4da35f22}' (Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio))
[   1.273][v][ao/wasapi] Monitoring changes in device {0.0.0.00000000}.{e8548375-cf4e-4365-831f-516c4da35f22}
[   1.275][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi thread

Shinchiro's build

[   1.099][v][af]   lavcac3enc (lavcac3enc.00)
[   1.099][v][af] [lavcac3enc] 48000Hz 5.1 6ch floatp
[   1.099][v][af] [userspeed] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3
[   1.099][v][af] [convert] 48000Hz stereo 2ch spdif-ac3
[   1.100][v][auto_profiles] Re-evaluating auto profile AAC 5.1 to AC3 
[   1.100][d][cplayer] starting video playback
[   1.100][v][cplayer] starting audio playback
[   1.100][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Resume
[   1.100][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.100][v][cplayer] playback restart complete @ 0.000000, audio=playing, video=playing
[   1.100][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi
[   1.102][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.102][d][ao/wasapi] Thread shutdown
[   1.279][d][ao/wasapi] Thread uninit done
[   1.280][d][ao/wasapi] Thread return
[   1.280][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi done
[   1.280][v][ao] Trying audio driver 'wasapi'
[   1.280][v][ao/wasapi] requested format: 48000 Hz, stereo channels, spdif-ac3
[   1.280][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi
[   1.280][d][ao/wasapi] Find device ''
[   1.281][v][ao/wasapi] No device specified. Selecting default.
[   1.283][v][ao/wasapi] Selecting device '{e8548375-cf4e-4365-831f-516c4da35f22}' (Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio))
[   1.283][v][ao/wasapi] Monitoring changes in device {0.0.0.00000000}.{e8548375-cf4e-4365-831f-516c4da35f22}
[   1.285][d][ao/wasapi] Init wasapi thread

You can see where playback is restarted.

generiq
1 hour ago, Luke said:

If you uncheck the exclusive mode option in Theater, is there still a problem?

Yes. It's looking like it's the ffmpeg error. That filter is directly used in ffmpeg, which is why I'm thinking that error is creating some kind of 'hiccup'.

When you say you replaced the build does that mean you put Shinchiro's build into Theater, or you tested it via mpv directly?