Roku Ultra & Streaming Stick 4k (newest models) AV1 transcoding

I have been trying out some media in AV1 as I have a couple of Intel Arc Cards now. I confirmed both of my roku models are capable of directly playing AV1 content, but when I play it via the emby app, it gets transcoded to h264. 

Is there anything I can do to allow my rokus to direct play the AV1 content?

Happy2Play

Provide server and ffmpeg logs.  

But what was the Reason for Transcode?

11 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Provide server and ffmpeg logs.  

But what was the Reason for Transcode?

The transcode "reason" is converting to compatible video codec. But the same video will play on the roku via their built in player so its compatible for sure.

More important though, is emby capable of allowing AV1 video to direct play on a roku client?

Happy2Play

Devs will have to comment but assume newer models support will have to be coded into a new release as it will not apply to any older model.

13 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes @speechles has been looking into av1 for devices that support it.

Cool cool cool, Does that include hw decoding on the server side as well? Im so ready to convert my entire library!

• 3 weeks later...
Baenwort

Direct play of AV1 on supporting Roku devices would be nice.

Has this been added and does anyone have a good list of Roku devices that can direct play AV1?

Happy2Play
26 minutes ago, Baenwort said:

Has this been added and does anyone have a good list of Roku devices that can direct play AV1?

Haven't seen one but believe it will be Tenth Generation Rokus.

23 hours ago, Baenwort said:

Direct play of AV1 on supporting Roku devices would be nice.

I don't know if there is a list, but I can confirm the latest Roku Ultra and Streaming Stick 4K(+) can play AV1, however, emby does not allow it to play, you would need to play them through the Roku player or jellyfin.

8 hours ago, lukeoslavia said:

I don't know if there is a list, but I can confirm the latest Roku Ultra and Streaming Stick 4K(+) can play AV1, however, emby does not allow it to play, you would need to play them through the Roku player or jellyfin.

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Which video player are you referring to? If you mean the stats on the emby app for Roku, I didn't check it, I just looked at the server log files and the dashboard, which said that AV1 was incompatible. But I did confirm that the Rokus could play the files directly outside of the emby app and it worked great.

I am currently just using Jellyfin since it supports HW accelerated AV1 decoding with my arc card. If any progress is made on the emby side I can setup another test rig for it, but as of now Jellyfin is doing a pretty great job.

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, lukeoslavia said:

Which video player are you referring to? If you mean the stats on the emby app for Roku, I didn't check it, I just looked at the server log files and the dashboard, which said that AV1 was incompatible. But I did confirm that the Rokus could play the files directly outside of the emby app and it worked great.

I am currently just using Jellyfin since it supports HW accelerated AV1 decoding with my arc card. If any progress is made on the emby side I can setup another test rig for it, but as of now Jellyfin is doing a pretty great job.

Why does HW acceleration matter if it is supposed to Direct Play?  But I guess that would be totally different as it would not relate to this topic at all.

5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Why does HW acceleration matter if it is supposed to Direct Play?  But I guess that would be totally different as it would not relate to this topic at all.

HW acceleration only matters for devices that aren't current gen rokus / don't have AV1 Direct Play support. Which is the bulk of my clients, namely Nvidia Shields. It is a separate topic, but not totally un-related.

I only mention it as this is no longer a priority for me as I have fixed my problem by switching servers.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

The app just needs to be updated for the new devices.

I agree, and the server needs hardware accelerated decoding for AV1 as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
Baenwort
On 12/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, lukeoslavia said:

What is the model number for the Ultras that support it? They seem to not change the name but change the model number occasionally. 

• 4 weeks later...