Please focus on quality-of-life improvements

heypaleblue

heypaleblue

This isn't even me trying to be snitty. I'm genuinely aasking for a pause to focus on quality of life improvements and maybe listing out a few bugs. Previously I mis-spoke when I said "Feature Requests". 

* QOL ENHANCEMENT: Downloads need to be updated for 2022:

• I think this could be improved by having a unified interface / set of functionality for the apps where all that is presented to you is you server as it is when you're connected, and if you're not connected the same interface is shown only with the media that is downloaded to the device. Basically implement a local-media fallback for the connected server interface. 

* QOL ENHANCEMENT: please facilitate media sync in Emby theater. 

* QOL ENHANCEMENT: share links for multi-user servers - I have a MASSIVE collection of music, it'd be a NICE TO HAVE (i admit) to have share links so i can send my users links to songs and episodes directly. cause at least in my use case we actually talk about movies and music. 

* BUG / SOMETHING OF NOTE: Cache media descriptions / synopsis locally. I notice these are changing. 
* POSSIBLE BUG: Collections are broken, Some movies group appropriately some times they dont. For example I have the James bond bluray box set. I started digitizing them and realized there was an audio sync issue on all but two so I deleted all but those, the collection freaked out and disappeared, 9 correct re-encodes later, the already played movies wont add themselves to the collection, but all the new, unplayed ones will. All of these movies have original metadata that was gathered when the movies were added to the server, and I don't know why the collection would delete itself when there are still 2+ titles from the collection that have stayed on the server the whole time, with their meta data. 
* On my tablet recently, Emby correctly downloaded the movies i asked for to my SD card, but then were "not available" in the app so I had to play them from android's built in media player. 

Edited by heypaleblue
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, heypaleblue said:

* Collections are broken, Some movies group appropriately some times they dont. For example I have the james bond blu ray box set. I started digitizing them and realized there was an audio sync issue on all but two so I deleted all but those, the collection freaked out and disappeared, 9 correct re-ecodes later, the already played movies wont add themselves to the collection, but all the new, unplayed ones will. 

Items require metadata to be linked to Collections.  If you write nfo files you will see a <set> node if you do not the database needs this information.  Items may need to be Refreshed if they have been in your system for a while.  Myself as a Legacy user still using xml files I had to ensure I had correct information in my xmls to accommodate this change and worked with 3rd party provider to write them.  For this issue you would have to break it down with specific item metadata information.  Not Locked media or read only media will be a factor also.

* share links for multi-user servers - I have a MASSIVE collection of music, it'd be a NICE TO HAVE (i admit) to have share links so i can send my users links to songs and episodes directly. cause at least in my use case we actually talk about movies and music.

Isn't this a feature request :)

• Haha 1

* Cache media descriptions / synopsis locally. I notice these are changing. 

Hi, can you please provide an example?

On 11/16/2022 at 4:13 AM, heypaleblue said:

* Collections are broken, Some movies group appropriately some times they dont. For example I have the james bond blu ray box set. I started digitizing them and realized there was an audio sync issue on all but two so I deleted all but those, the collection freaked out and disappeared, 9 correct re-ecodes later, the already played movies wont add themselves to the collection, but all the new, unplayed ones will. 

Maybe a bug, but not a general stability issue

* Downloads need to be updated for 2022 - Instead of only showing up when failing to connect to a server emby needs to know what it has downloaded and display it like regular.

=> Feature Request

* please facilitate media sync in Emby theatre. 

=> Feature Request

* On my tablet recently, Emby correctly downloaded the movies i asked for to my SD card, but then were "not available" in the app so I had to play them from android's built in media player. 

=> Not an Emby Server stability issue

* share links for multi-user servers - I have a MASSIVE collection of music, it'd be a NICE TO HAVE (i admit) to have share links so i can send my users links to songs and episodes directly. cause at least in my use case we actually talk about movies and music.

=> Feature Request

So, you begin by telling that Emby would have substantial and fundamental stability problems which are so severe that we should immediately stop working on new things and improve quality.
Then you name a small bug (surely needs to be investigated but it's more 6 minutes than 6 months), followed by a list of your feature requests we should implement.
Now, that's a bit funny...

How should we work on your features when we must stop working on new features and focus on quality instead?

Or should we just stop working on other things and work on your features instead? But wouldn't that mean that a general stability problem doesn't really exist? In that case, maybe, we could just continue our work, provide support for your issue and move this message out of the feature requests forum and follow up. Eventually, you'll be able to create (single and separate) posts for your feature requests just easy and normal...🙂 

Edited by softworkz
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 4

heypaleblue
On 11/17/2022 at 2:28 AM, softworkz said:

Maybe a bug, but not a general stability issue

=> Feature Request

=> Feature Request

=> Not an Emby Server stability issue

=> Feature Request

So, you begin by telling that Emby would have substantial and fundamental stability problems which are so severe that we should immediately stop working on new things and improve quality.
Then you name a small bug (surely needs to be investigated but it's more 6 minutes than 6 months), followed by a list of your feature requests we should implement.
Now, that's a bit funny...

How should we work on your features when we must stop working on new features and focus on quality instead?

Or should we just stop working on other things and work on your features instead? But wouldn't that mean that a general stability problem doesn't really exist? In that case, maybe, we could just continue our work, provide support for your issue and move this message out of the feature requests forum and follow up. Eventually, you'll be able to create (single and separate) posts for your feature requests just easy and normal...🙂 

woah. calm down dude no one's talking about you mom. 

Junglejim
16 hours ago, heypaleblue said:

woah. calm down dude no one's talking about you mom. 

The title of this feature request is to stop feature requests.. 😆 Then you add a bunch of feature requests.. 😆😆

Can't you see the irony in that! @softworkz is the man when it comes to vid dev and he knows what's what! + some!

• 2 weeks later...
heypaleblue
On 11/18/2022 at 8:34 AM, softworkz said:

Don't dude me, son.

Look here, friend. yeah you are right i could have said "Quality of life improvements" not "feature requests" Iv'e updated the post. 

Edited by heypaleblue

heypaleblue
On 11/19/2022 at 12:32 AM, Junglejim said:

The title of this feature request is to stop feature requests.. 😆 Then you add a bunch of feature requests.. 😆😆

Can't you see the irony in that! @softworkz is the man when it comes to vid dev and he knows what's what! + some!

Yeah I misspoke, I should have said Quality of Life, not Feature Requests. I think Emby could benefit from focusing on features that modernize the experience of using the app, but there are some areas that, at least in my opinion, are still bare bones and should be fleshed out. I've updated my original posts. 

from my perspective are you talking about a feature like i time sensitive hyperlink for music sharing similar to discord invite system.

Cheesegeezer
On 18/11/2022 at 14:34, softworkz said:

Don't dude me, son.

Lol 😂 don’t son me dude hahahah 😝