New Android Client always transcoding now

ivoidwarranties
Go to solution Solved by ivoidwarranties,

ivoidwarranties

I updated to the latest Android app and the latest version of Media Browser server.  Videos that used to direct stream on the Android app are now being transcoded.  I tried about 20 of the 300+ videos I have and all of them were transcoded... even though they were able to direct stream previously.  

I changed the local playback bitrate to the highest setting (21 Mb/s) and it did not help.  Am I missing a setting or what can I do to not make it transcode the files?

Attached is a screen shot of the media info of one of my file.

post-1892-0-37319100-1413046883_thumb.png

Edited by ivoidwarranties
  • Like 1

ivoidwarranties

All my videos (mp4 / h264 / aac / unknown profile) were capable of direct play prior to the latest update.

• Like 1

According to android documentation high profile is not officially supported. Really the old version is what was not working correctly.

The new version will support more devices. What is probably needed is an option to allow high profile content to direct stream.

• Like 2

ivoidwarranties

I vaguely remember another post where Redshirt had mentioned that it was a bug in the old version of the app..... and I remember asking if he could make it an option to direct stream instead of transcode.

@@Redshirt... can you provide an option to allow high profile content to direct stream?

blade005

Please post a specific example. Please see:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

All videos is unfortunately not very helpful.

Redshirt,

Opened the following file in Android client (Version 2.0.85) and it is showing as being transcoded in the Android player. A transcoding log was also created for this session.  Should this media Direct Play in the Android App?

Transcoding Log: http://paste2.org/ZkEWaf9D

Media Info
Video
CodecH264

ProfileMain

Level22

Resolution720x406

Aspect ratio16:9

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97619

Bitrate927 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

Audio
Languageund

CodecAAC

Layoutstereo

Bitrate124 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Containermp4

Redshirt

Android client version prior to 2.0.x would allow H264 to direct stream regardless of the profile assuming all criteria were met. (resolution, bitrate, etc). The current version follows the official Android supported media formats to the letter. Increasing compatibility at the expense of the devices that could properly handle H264 high/main profiles.

ivoidwarranties

Can there be an advanced option that will allow the app to direct stream h264 high/main profiles? An option a user would have to manually check / turn on?

The old version will also direct play (stream copy) h264 video in a mkv container while transcoding the audio when needed. I'd like to keep that feature. Video transcoding when all thatch needed is audio transcoding is undesirable.

• Like 1

droolingmonkey

Same goes for me - the client has become unusable as a viewer due to transcoding of content that played perfectly in the previous version of the client. Please provide an option to stream as we could before, or maybe provide a means of reversing the update or dloading the previous version.

• Like 1

Toys7505

Have you tried turning off the HLS option under settings? Once i did that, I was able to play any movie without any hiccup........

Toys

Redshirt

@@Luke

Post #17 and #23 from the first link above may be worth investigating. If slight alterations to the playlist metadata can resolve HLS playback stuttering I'll be tickled pink.

Edited by Redshirt

blade005

Have you tried turning off the HLS option under settings? Once i did that, I was able to play any movie without any hiccup........

Toys

Toys,

Playing a source and direct streaming it are two different things. Turning off HLS does provide for a smooth playback, but my experience has been that everything is transcoding now, which places an unnecessary burden on the MB Server. I posted in this thread a profile of a video that according to Redshirt should be able to play without transcoding. But, that is not the case.  It would be nice if there was a configurable option in upcoming releases that would allow for direct streaming if you have a capable device, despite the restrictions that Google seems to want to place on all of us for the sake of 'compatibility'.

• Like 1

Toys7505

Toys,

Playing a source and direct streaming it are two different things. Turning off HLS does provide for a smooth playback, but my experience has been that everything is transcoding now, which places an unnecessary burden on the MB Server. I posted in this thread a profile of a video that according to Redshirt should be able to play without transcoding. But, that is not the case.  It would be nice if there was a configurable option in upcoming releases that would allow for direct streaming if you have a capable device, despite the restrictions that Google seems to want to place on all of us for the sake of 'compatibility'.

Yes, I too as well am having everything transcoded during playback. I have only recently started using MB Server and this stuff is still relatively new to me. I would be happy as well if I could direct stream vs. transcode as my test rig CPU is almost "pegged" at 100% everytime.

Toys

halphpint

Yes, I too as well am having everything transcoded during playback. I have only recently started using MB Server and this stuff is still relatively new to me. I would be happy as well if I could direct stream vs. transcode as my test rig CPU is almost "pegged" at 100% everytime.

Toys

I agree...even though I have pretty beefy i7 running server and transcoding is done in about 30 mins on larger HD movies (4 gigs or more in .mkv container) they still stutter during play back ever few seconds. Very distracting and has caused me to use the external player option as a result. Ironically when I do this it uses MX player and direct plays. Just seems silly not being able to direct play when my server is 15 feet from my android box that's running the client. So tired of having to sacrifice options for the sake of lower end P.O.S. android devices. If need be, make it like a PC...either you hit the requirements to use it or you don't. If you don't, pony up for a flagship phone/device...honestly not that expensive. 

Edited by halphpint
  • Like 2

ivoidwarranties

I wonder how many Media Browser users have video in h264 base profiles....

I know the intentions were good (making it compatible with more devices).... but in doing so, did it "break" it for a good number of users that actually use Media Browser?

Rule number one of any software application is you have to get it to work before you can optimize.

But I thought I just covered the situation by letting you know we will be resolving it in a way that will work for everyone.

• Like 1

blade005

Rule number one of any software application is you have to get it to work before you can optimize.

But I thought I just covered the situation by letting you know we will be resolving it in a way that will work for everyone.

Thanks Luke and Redshirt. You guys are great. Much appreciated. 

halphpint

I wonder how many Media Browser users have video in h264 base profiles....

I know the intentions were good (making it compatible with more devices).... but in doing so, did it "break" it for a good number of users that actually use Media Browser?

Vast majority of my files are h264...mostly tv shows. Thrilled to hear that this is being worked on as I love the app..literally bought an. Android box just to use it :).

ivoidwarranties

Sorry... I was on Tapatalk on my phone... was in the middle of posting it, something came up between the time I wrote my post and the time i actually posted it.  Didn't see your post.  

Thanks for addressing this.