Odd Behaviour When Fast Forwarding Through Film Version

MartinCheetham

MartinCheetham

This all started when I was watching a film that had a Theatrical Version and an Extended Version stored in the same library with the same name but with "- Theatrical Version" on the end of one and "- Extended Version" on the end of the other (Emby theatre correctly sees them as the same film and I can select which version I want to watch (except in Apple TV)).  I noticed that when fast forwarding the film would start at a slightly different place to what I could see in the preview.  Also the film would hang every fifteen minutes of so.  I could stop it and resume it and the film would continue for another fifteen minutes or so before hanging again.  I then noticed with another film that the preview I could see when fast forwarding belonged to an entirely different film.  This film too would stop every fifteen minutes or so.  Another strange thing was that if I tried to fast forward the first film beyond the end of the film I could see on the preview the fast forward would stop (hang).  This time I realised that by mistake I had named two different films as if they were different versions of the same film (and put them in the same directory).

To try to pin down what is happening I created a new film directory "Test Tracking  (2022)" and put a short film "Test Tracking (2022)" suffixed "- Blu Ray" with a long (different) film suffixed "- DVD" in the same directory.  When I first started playing the "Blu Ray" film the fast forward slider just jumps back the the beginning.  After stopping and starting the film, the slider works but the preview shows the "DVD" film.  The - DVD film seems to playback and fast forward correctly.  I fiddled with the file names and now I think that if the first film in the folder (alphabetically) is playing then fast forward shows the preview for the second film.   I could not reproduce the hang of the fast forward that I referred to above.  When watching the longer film and fast forwarding  to a time beyond the end of the shorter film (and seeing the second shorter film in the preview) the preview simply shows the last frame of the shorter film but the time counter continues and the first film starts again at the correct point in time.

This sounds a bit confusing so if I can provide more information please let me know.  I've not attached the log file as there isn't a crash just unwanted behaviour (let me know if you would like the log).  I can grant remote access to my setup if you want to see for yourself.  I'm running Emby Server on a QNAP box version 4.7.9.0.  This behaviour is seen in all clients; I'm running on Ubuntu, Apple TV, Amazon Firestick, Web, iPhone, Windows and a couple of apps. on Sony TV's (not seen on Apple TV as I don't seem to be able to choose between versions).

Martin

MartinCheetham

I happens with all the apps. except Emby theatre on Apple TV as as far as I can see this doesn't support multiple film versions.  I've tested it with Emby for Windows, the web interface, Emby on iOS and Emby on Amazon Firestick.

MartinCheetham

OK.  i'm attaching a screenshot of the directory the films are played from, a screenshot of the film details before playback and a couple of screenshots of the playback.  I was using the web interface in a chrome browser.  The film "Test Tracking (2002) - AAAA Feature" is infact from a DVD of Gone WIth The Wind.  The film is 3h 38m long.  The film "Test Tracking (2002) - Feature" is from a Blu Ray of American Made.  This film is 1h 54m long.  You can see from the film detail that even though "AAAA Feature" is selected the chapters show frames from "Feature".  Perhaps this is acceptable as it would require a refresh each time a different version of the film is selected.  The next screen shot shows "AAAA Feature" being played and scrolled through but the preview is from "Feature".  The last shot is similar but scrolling is beyond the end of "Feature" (2h 18m 55s) so the preview just shows the final frame.  I have also attached the log file.

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Directory Listing.jpg

Detail Of Films.jpg

Scroll Preview Shows Wrong Film.jpg

Scroll Beyond End Of Shorter FIlm.jpg

embyserver.txt

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 2:58 PM, MartinCheetham said:

OK.  i'm attaching a screenshot of the directory the films are played from, a screenshot of the film details before playback and a couple of screenshots of the playback.  I was using the web interface in a chrome browser.  The film "Test Tracking (2002) - AAAA Feature" is infact from a DVD of Gone WIth The Wind.  The film is 3h 38m long.  The film "Test Tracking (2002) - Feature" is from a Blu Ray of American Made.  This film is 1h 54m long.  You can see from the film detail that even though "AAAA Feature" is selected the chapters show frames from "Feature".  Perhaps this is acceptable as it would require a refresh each time a different version of the film is selected.  The next screen shot shows "AAAA Feature" being played and scrolled through but the preview is from "Feature".  The last shot is similar but scrolling is beyond the end of "Feature" (2h 18m 55s) so the preview just shows the final frame.  I have also attached the log file.

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Directory Listing.jpg

Detail Of Films.jpg

Scroll Preview Shows Wrong Film.jpg

Scroll Beyond End Of Shorter FIlm.jpg

embyserver.txt 1.94 MB · 0 downloads

@MartinCheetham are you still having an issue with this? Have you updated to Emby Server 4.7.10?

MartinCheetham

Yes - I am running server version 4.7.10 and yes this problem with scrolling through the film still exists.  Different versions of a film should be treated as completely different films so even the resume point should be applicable to the particular version of the film being watched.  At the moment it is the same for any version.  Currently in the web interface when different versions are  selected the only things that change are the couple of lines related to run time and the video format.  The time remaining, resume point, chapter information etc is for only one version of the film.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 4:22 AM, MartinCheetham said:

Yes - I am running server version 4.7.10 and yes this problem with scrolling through the film still exists.  Different versions of a film should be treated as completely different films so even the resume point should be applicable to the particular version of the film being watched.  At the moment it is the same for any version.  Currently in the web interface when different versions are  selected the only things that change are the couple of lines related to run time and the video format.  The time remaining, resume point, chapter information etc is for only one version of the film.

Hi, yes there are a few more things that should change depending on the version. Thanks for the feedback.