Server Federation Idea

jameskitt616

jameskitt616

The Idea was to use the built in API key feature of Emby to connect/authenticate two Emby Servers.

If Server A receives a API key of Server B, it allows Server A to display and cache the remote contents (only File names, Pictures (Metadata) etc. NOT the actual Video/Audio etc Files) -> maybe also with a API limit? so it does not Spam the other Server to death (cough cough ombi.io).

Now since Server A has access to Server B's library, it can just display the remote contents in the existing Libraries (since they are tagged by 'Content Type' it should be no issue to merge them into existing 'Movie', 'TV Shows' ... folders).
The Merge mechanism should be a bit smart: e.g. if Emby detects the same Movie locally and on the Remote Server, it only displays the local content and hides the remote, unless other quality/bitrate whatever?...

To the End user this still looks like the files are stored on the current Server they use.
Now if the user (Server A) playbacks content from a remote Server (Server B), instead of connecting to Server A), the client connects automatically to Server B and steams from there.

I can think of multiple ways how to handle user management/auth.
- Either there is no User management and if a user from Server A playbacks something from Sever B, it just uses the API key which got used to connect those two servers, for authentication. And there is some basic Settings for that like in the User settings (max simulations streams for remote Servers, max bandwidth per stream etc)
- A Remote User management. When connecting the two servers (Server A imports contents of Server B), Server B imports the remote Users of Server A and creates a local dummy accounts (ofc there needs to be some sort of Scheduled Task to redo this process)

It should be possible to connect multiple servers.

This is the Simplest way i could think of some sort of "Server Federation", please let me know if there are any massive flaws, or things i've overseen. Would be glad to discuss the idea.

P.S. i don't know if i explained it understandably, so if there are questions, please ask.

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at: