Server - (Roku n all) TV Next Up/Suggested Length/Priority Logic

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

This feature request was brought about by the fact that the Roku TV Suggested/Nextup is limited to less than 10 objects.

I regularly can not find the show series/episode i am after in the suggested view.

Request 1 - Increase size of Suggested View to 20 episodes.

Request 2 - Tweak the logic of Suggested to alter priority. (To Ensure the most useful entries in the constrained suggested view).

Next Episodes of the shows that i have watched the previous show's most recently should be highest. (If i have just watched episode 3 of show X then episode 4 of Show X should go straight to the top)

Next Episodes of a show that i have watched in the past, but am not currently watching a great deal, should not push out episodes of shows that i am currently watching/have just watched.

Perhaps there are two types of usage of the suggested view,

a) - the users that want to see the next unwatched episodes of the the shows they have most recently watched

b )  - the users that want to see the oldest unwatched next episodes episodes of shows that they have ever watched.

an option to prioritise for use case a) is requested. but perhaps just increasing the length of the list on the Roku is all thats really required.

thanks for considering.

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

Odd.. Which roku mb client is this? and what version? The most recent official version of mb for roku already has this.

For movies:

Suggested has 23: movie library, movie toggle, suggested toggle + 20 movies

For TV:

Suggested has 77: TV library, TV toggle + 75 episodes

The logic behind which heuristics are used to analyze what gets which position of these lists may need help as you suggest. But the rest, regarding limits and quantities seems already available if you use the official media browser client for roku.

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/44191/media-browser-for-roku

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

ginjaninja

Im using official roku client..for me the suggested tv view has a maximum of 10 objects..wether in dev 1.66 or release 1.64...strange you get 70+ objects.

rymedysa.jpg

zumejyta.jpg

Strange indeed. I do have favorites set, and watched history, etc...which is why my list is populated fully.

Btw, you are correct about the problem. As my suggested is weighted by next up for tv. Annoyingly, yes, by first episode unwatched as yours is. Which i agree, it should not do this. This should go by, first unwatched episode in the series, but... after the last watched episode. So if you have season 1 episodes 1 thru 12 and watch episode 10. It suggests episode 11 instead of episode 1, for that series. If you then watch episode 2. It suggests episode 11 still because you transitioned in at episode 10. Because episode 10 is the highest watched episode with unwatched episodes after it. This allows easy migration from cable for episodes you have seen. You start to watch where you have cut the cable, so to speak. It then suggests episode 11 until you've watched it. Then onto 12. Seeing episodes 10-12 watched it can now suggest episode 1. But if we watched episode 2 above like supposed this would instead suggest episode 3. ^_~

Hopefully you understand the logic. This is how the system should evolve. But...This is more of something need of fix at the server level than aimed at any client.

Edited by speechles

ginjaninja

Another wierd issue..1st time I enter the roku client I have a maximum of 10 objects on suggested view...if I cycle the tv views then on returning to suggested I get the full 20 objects on the suggested view...so less of a feature request with respect to suggested view length and more a bug report..