Number of media cards on homepage rows default is 16. I like more.

visproduction
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

visproduction

The adjustment is inside modules/homesections/homesections.js
Search for 16 and replace it with another number.  I actually like 80.  Maybe that's just me.

Since there is no User setting, I have to go in and edit the .js file after every update.  It might be a nice option in the Display page.
Does anyone else have interest in this feature?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Solution

Making this configurable is potentially possible but we like to minimize the options that will allow people to destroy the performance of the system.  Even when we put bold text next to the option, people still enable/disable them and then report back here how slow everything is.

• Agree 1

visproduction
21 hours ago, ebr said:

Making this configurable is potentially possible but we like to minimize the options that will allow people to destroy the performance of the system.  Even when we put bold text next to the option, people still enable/disable them and then report back here how slow everything is.

I noticed that in Transcoding / cache / images / resized-images there are a lot of smaller versions of media posters.  It seems that any heavy images are already optimized and kept here for the next reuse.  With 80 content posters for 5 libraries on my quite antique AMD dual 3.0 GHz workstation mobo from 2009, I don't see a slow down, but then I'n usually the only person pulling these images.  It seems there is optimization built in for thumbnail posters.  Maybe that's enough, even if you ran a stress test.  Also, do the thumbs only resolve when they are shown, so any hidden thumbs, not yet scrolled, don't impact the page load?

It's really smooth on my gear.  Thanks for such a quick repsonse.

Edited by visproduction

Hi.  It isn't as much about the images as it is about pulling all those items out of the database (and then potentially sending them across a remote connection) on each load of the screen.  On many systems it may be fine but allowing people to configure large numbers could potentially cause some real slow downs loading these screens - depending on the exact content involved.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Why is it more of a problem here than in the movies section with 1000 movies to show or for TV series with similar numbers.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:21 PM, arrbee99 said:

Why is it more of a problem here than in the movies section with 1000 movies to show or for TV series with similar numbers.

A couple of things - those other screens typically just have one or a couple queries as opposed to the home screen that can have a lot.  Then there is a slightly higher tolerance for speed when drilling down to a particular section whereas we want the home screen to come up as fast as possible.  Finally, all those other screens have virtual paging to help limit the payloads initially.  Not all of the home screen sections do.

arrbee99

I don't know what a actual query is, not an individual item I presume.

But devices and wifi are getting faster all the time and virtual ,paging can be added ?

and I think the new app has 16 for latest and yours has 20 ?