updating server versions

timlance

timlance

I currently have 4.7.6.0 and the Dashboard says there is a new version 4.7.8.0.

In Settings>Automatic Updates it says ...

Allow the server to restart automatically to apply updates

The server will only restart during idle periods, when no users are active.

I do have Automatic Updates. I have ensured no users are active.

No updated server.

I download from the Emby site but what comes down is v4.7.6.0. It's working fine but I want to know what to do when there is a truly significant version update.

I am on macOS v12.6.1 on an M1 iMac.

Edited by timlance

Hi, Emby for MacOS does not support automatic updates, so that option is only for other kinds of updates such as plugins.

You'll need to shutdown the server and install the update manually from our website, which it sounds like you've done. The latest is 4.7.8, not 4.7.6. Thanks.

timlance

Confusion clarified. On the Mac downloads page there are two options. The first clearly states x64 and I assumed that referred to Intel based systems/architecture. So I had downloaded the second choice, inferring, apparently incorrectly, that this was an Apple Silicone architecture native version. (The OS designated for each is confusing, IMHO). I dug further and saw that the second download link does have v4.7.6 coming down and is described as 'Intel'. See first shot. So I just downloaded from the first link and it did come down as v4.7.8 and is also designated as 'Intel' (second shot). Whatever. I got what I needed.

Perhaps edit the download page for better clarification. And, perhaps edit the software so that newbie Mac users don't go round and round trying to get the automatic update process to work. And, for an even better reason to keep them from bugging you folk in these forums? I know I have been stumbling these past few days, mostly by own fault, and you and Happy2Play have been gracious, but this time I think I'm innocent?

Thanks!

1-4.7.6.thumb.png.73f2cd56df20879d5c5f33c94d043ae6.png   2-4.7.8.thumb.png.8b329de688b9b519b199ee7305b56aa7.png

And, perhaps edit the software so that newbie Mac users don't go round and round trying to get the automatic update process to work.

When the server doesn't support automatic updates, the front page of the dashboard will tell you that an update is available and that you need to shutdown the server and install it manually from the website. Did you not see that?

timlance

Yeah I saw that, finally, long after I had been trying/relying on the automatic update option which is even more prominently displayed.

22 minutes ago, timlance said:

Yeah I saw that, finally, long after I had been trying/relying on the automatic update option which is even more prominently displayed.

If you read it again, it's actually not an automatic update option. It's an option to automatically restart after an update has been applied.

timlance

So, I assumed that since manually restarting is so simple even I could do it I therefore inferred the updating was automatic (i.e. the *getting* of the update was automatic, provided I approved this option). In other words, hell even I can do a simple restart of the server.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 12:26 AM, Luke said:

Hi, Emby for MacOS does not support automatic updates, so that option is only for other kinds of updates such as plugins.

You'll need to shutdown the server and install the update manually from our website, which it sounds like you've done. The latest is 4.7.8, not 4.7.6. Thanks.

I updated the latest Arm64 of the Emby Server(4.7.9.0), but there is no menu bar icon.

5 hours ago, oahgnep said:

I updated the latest Arm64 of the Emby Server(4.7.9.0), but there is no menu bar icon.

Correct that hasn't been added yet to the arm64 version, but hopefully soon. Thanks.