Feedback on Composers

timlance

timlance
Spoiler
Spoiler

oops. nothing to see here. will do as requested.

Edited by timlance
making mistakes ; )

Interesting is that when I click on ‘More Like This’ Then the albums are indeed listed as ‘Albums’ and not ‘Appears On’.

Hi, @timlance Can you please provide an example? Thanks.

timlance

Haven’t used Emby in quite awhile. Returning to the iOS app I am experiencing my “composers usage” anew. I now see that when clicking Composers and then selecting one, while I do not see an Albums view it does appear that ‘Appears On’ is a listing of that composer’s albums. Good enough though the need to scroll sideways forever is a major PITA. Interesting is that when I click on ‘More Like This’ and select from there then those albums are indeed listed as ‘Albums’ and not ‘Appears On’.

Basically, I feel the layout of stuff on any given screen could be so much more concise and therefore so much easier to navigate. All the screenshots below show the differences I see. I’m thinking there’s a continuum from Emby’s UI (worst) to Audirvana’s (best). Apple’s Remote is a bit better than Emby, Apple’s Music.app on iOS is in the middle, and Subsonic app, sub:Play, is next best to Audirvana. Note: I’m not so much concerned about fidelity as much as graphical useability. I do not consider Plex apps as my experience with Plex is not very good (i.e. HUGE issues with how library is managed).

What I’d want - only music stuff in app experience, said stuff being displayed/used in a much more concise manner. I have 150+ Bill Evans albums so in Emby I’d be scrolling for months. Sure, there’s search but oftentimes I’m more exploring and waiting to be surprised. But even with much less smaller UI elements would result in much more efficiency.

Only differences between the Emby iOS version and the iPadOS version is everything in the UI is simply bigger on the iPad - no leveraging the extra space.

Differences in Audirvana’s iOS and iPadOS are evident. The iPhone makes great use of condensing the stuff it is controlling. The iPad version essentially looks/functions just like the desktop app it is controlling.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

timlance

First is Compers' albums. Second is showing an artist selected from that composer's 'More Like This'.

Grrr. They uploaded backwards. Second image is what I refer to as First above. Clear as mud?

2a.thumb.png.1b2e795f228390cac7de69c8c0c6717a.png

1a.png

Edited by timlance

timlance
37 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is Audirvana really that different? From a glance I almost thought it was Emby.

I suppose that at first glance essentially stuff is so much more smaller/concise.

But also, very importantly, Audirvana displays graphics so much better. Note that there are no generic graphics in Audirvana shots. (I'm referring to screenshots shown in the Feature Request thread.

Edited by timlance

12 minutes ago, timlance said:

First is Compers' albums. Second is showing an artist selected from that composer's 'More Like This'.

Grrr. They uploaded backwards. Second image is what I refer to as First above. Clear as mud?

2a.thumb.png.1b2e795f228390cac7de69c8c0c6717a.png

1a.png

The difference is that one is added to the album as an album artist, and the other just as a contributing artist or composer. That is the distinction between the Albums and Appears On section.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, timlance said:

I suppose that at first glance essentially stuff is so much more smaller/concise.

But also, very importantly, Audirvana displays graphics so much better. Note that there are no generic graphics in Audirvana shots. (I'm referring to screenshots shown in the Feature Request thread.

Why do you think things are smaller? Have you explored the view options in the Emby app?

Well you're viewing a list in that other app, so unless you set the view to list in emby as well, then it's not really an equivalent comparison.

timlance

Haha. And where in the blue blazes do I set it to list? I'm old and sometimes I don't care about looking dumb. I don't have time for that I just want things done. How do I get to a list setting?

-------

Found it!

Well for some parts. Yes, for each of the main stuff (i.e. Albums, Artists, Composers, etc.) I can set to List. But drilling down to the next level I'm back to big graphic elements. That is, I click on an artist from the Artists list and the result is big icons. So I click an artist and get the albums, select 'See All' and then again set it to list. So an extra step to get to where I want. And none of this if drilling down under Composers. Oh, I can get Composers to show as a list but that's as far as it works.

Edited by timlance

3 minutes ago, timlance said:

Haha. And where in the blue blazes do I set it to list? I'm old and sometimes I don't care about looking dumb. I don't have time for that I just want things done. How do I get to a list setting?

-------

Found it!

Try clicking the 3-dot menu at the top of the list next to the sort and filter buttons.

timlance

Yes, that's what I found. Then proceeded to click every 3-dot setting I could find. Much better but as I said, especially for composer, not perfect. But overall enough to make me reconsider coming back to Emby. I had gone back to Subsonic for a while but it has issues that mo one is available to help with. Their forums are dead; the developer has been MIA forever, yet still cashes subscribers' payments. I have tried to accept Apple's Music and while great for the family plan I want a better experience.

Thanks for sticking with me, Luke.

And, yes, I would still prefer a dedicated app. 😆 I just gotta believe once someone puts their heart and mind into it the result would be better than what we have now. No offense intended.

I would still prefer a dedicated app.

I understand but as you've probably noticed, many users are requesting random unrelated things in that topic, not realizing that if we did do a separate app, it would look exactly the same but with other media types excluded. That's why for many, a standalone app is not actually the answer to what they're looking for.

timlance
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why isn't it perfect?

First there's the no listing anything once a composer has been chosen. That is, yes, the Composers can be set to a list but from there no list option.

But for all the rest, as I gave an example, there's an extra step - Artists list>an artist. To then get to that artist's list of albums I must either scroll sideways forever or click 'See All'. From there yes I have a list of albums.

timlance
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

I understand but as you've probably noticed, many users are requesting random unrelated things in that topic, not realizing that if we did do a separate app, it would look exactly the same but with other media types excluded. That's why for many, a standalone app is not actually the answer to what they're looking for.

Yep, pretty much my conclusion, too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, timlance said:

But for all the rest, as I gave an example, there's an extra step - Artists list>an artist. To then get to that artist's list of albums I must either scroll sideways forever or click 'See All'. From there yes I have a list of albums.

Isn't apple music exactly the same?

timlance
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Isn't apple music exactly the same?

No, the interface is not near as good. Neither the mobile apps nor the Remote app to control the desktop Music.app.

So, as I said, this has been productive enough to get me reevaluating my Emby usage. Just a few minutes ago I set up a scan of my full almost 2 TB collection.

7 minutes ago, timlance said:

No, the interface is not near as good. Neither the mobile apps nor the Remote app to control the desktop Music.app.

So, as I said, this has been productive enough to get me reevaluating my Emby usage. Just a few minutes ago I set up a scan of my full almost 2 TB collection.

Not as good how? We have basically the same organization and layout as they do. They just use a sidebar and we use top tabs.

timlance
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Not as good how? We have basically the same organization and layout as they do. They just use a sidebar and we use top tabs.

They don’t get their lists as small as I see I can now get in Emby. 
Another thing is that in the mobile app, even at home on my own Wi-Fi, if they don’t have a lossless version then I get lossy. Not that my ears are golden. And they don’t have quite a bit of what I have on disc - live shows (audience, soundboard, etc.), boots, classical. It’s why I have made use of the Remote app to control my desktop Music.app but that is a PITA.

• 2 months later...
Saiel Resse

A melhor solução para usar o Emby é usar o Emby with Symfonium. Audirvana é lento, é horrível. O aplicativo Symfonium é a melhor solução.

Edited by Saiel Resse