Immediate BSOD when trying to use srt

QuarkZ

Hello,

not exactly when this started but anytime I try to use an srt sub, I get a BSOD. I tried to disable hardware acceleration, just in case it was some driver issue if it was transcoding, but same problem. Other sub formats don't seem to be affected. I also forced transcoding and no issues either, so it seems to just be srt related.

Also, it broke images on my main view, under my user I can't see half of the pictures anymore, though I see them if I open the movie/series.

Appreciate any help. Because it's a fast system crash (ntoskrnl.exe) the logs don't really seem to gather anything

Hi.  A BSOD is almost always caused by a bad hardware driver - usually graphics.  Have you ensured yours are up to date and correct for the hardware?

My drivers are up to date, and the fact that it only happens with srt files is somewhat suspect, I'm not sure why it would crash the whole machine that way when transcoding or other subs don't.

Nothing in particular that is any useful. The dump just shows ntoskrnl.exe as the one that crashes, but it all goes so fast, nothing really registers. As soon as I turn on the sub, it bluescreens under a second.

Theater and Browser both yield the same result, I'm assuming because the issue is server wise.

I have encoded/decoded things like movies and never run into a bluescreen. I guess I can try a full cleanup/reinstall and see if it helps.

13 hours ago, QuarkZ said:

I guess I can try a full cleanup/reinstall

It is almost impossible for this to be an issue with anything other than your hardware drivers so I would be concentrating on that instead of higher level software.

Yet Emby is the only software creating a bluescreen, and specifically with srt files. I game, encode, stream, watch movies and series without issues, can use other subtitles formats, I can play that video on external player with the same sub on, but when I turn it on on Emby it bluescreens. So although it's almost impossible, please explain why Emby is the only one with the issue and why it's only happening with srt files?

3 hours ago, QuarkZ said:

So although it's almost impossible, please explain why Emby is the only one with the issue and why it's only happening with srt files?

Probably due to the particular way that Emby is trying to render those subs.  No other app is trying to do the exact same thing we are.

I've just never seen a BSOD that wasn't eventually traced to a hardware driver (95%+ of the time the graphics driver).  This could be the exception but that's usually the problem.  Other programs simply don't run at a privilege level that would create that kind of hard crash.

@softworkz do you have any ideas based on our sub rendering methods?

19 hours ago, QuarkZ said:

Theater and Browser both yield the same result, I'm assuming because the issue is server wise.

I have encoded/decoded things like movies and never run into a bluescreen. I guess I can try a full cleanup/reinstall and see if it helps.

Can we please see a server log example from Theater?

I actually pinpointed this to Drivepool after looking up for other possible issues. And after going there and tweaking things around, the bsod stopped.

I still can't explain why Emby was the only one touched by this, but I think that the srt vs other subs was due to the fact that the srt I tried were all external and probably were trying to reach another drive in my pool, although VLC didn't produce that crash.

Either way, I do agree that bsod is almost always drivers, just the particularity of this was what baffled me and I couldn't see graphics being the culprit in this case. But it's now fixed, and I guess it fell into the 5% category.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ebr said:

I've just never seen a BSOD that wasn't eventually traced to a hardware driver (95%+ of the time the graphics driver).  This could be the exception but that's usually the problem.  Other programs simply don't run at a privilege level that would create that kind of hard crash.

Correct!

9 hours ago, ebr said:

@softworkz do you have any ideas based on our sub rendering methods?

Emby Server has the unfortunate habit to swallow most file IO related exceptions, it does not check for file existence before accessing files and relies on exceptions being thrown when attempting to access a file. This would be one possible explanation why the result is different from VLC. It could also be about parallel non-parallel access and/or random vs. sequential access (seeking or reading from start to end).

But I also need to say clearly that the storage (driver) must not segfault - no matter what Emby does.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...