the mysteries of sync - Download to

justinrh

justinrh

I can not figure out what "Download to" means and what happens.  I read the KBs but didn't really get anywhere.

While in the webapp on a client computer, for a movie I "Download to", which gives me
image.png.58a686a3c193350dcea37c2493f6d8ed.png

Neither of these items makes sense to me - what do they represent (exactly)?  INTEL is a PC but it is turned off.  X8 is the PC I am on now.

So I see the conversion in the admin dashboard ... after that I don't know where my file is that I supposedly downloaded to.

In settings I see the new 'downloads', but still don't know where my new file is.
image.png.62dc2428871f05c45192380ef88e78fd.png

An odd thing is I do NOT see it in Conversions:
image.png.47ef7a2c484b080c6eb470ecc1372a2b.png

An odd thing is I do NOT see it in Conversions:

That is for the Convert feature, not downloads.

• Confused 1

justinrh

Luke, this habit of Emby support skirting the details and not giving direct answers is very frustrating.

Alright, the file was downloaded to adminX8_Emby_sync, right?  Where is THAT?  Where is the FILE?

Where will the file be for INTEL when I boot up that PC?

And, out of all the devices I use Emby on, why only those two devices are listed to download to?

Edited by justinrh

Alright, the file was downloaded to adminX8_Emby_sync, right?  Where is THAT?  Where is the FILE?

Where will the file be for INTEL when I boot up that PC?

I would look in the app that you downloaded with for those details. It will have options to control the download location. The server doesn't keep that information.

And, out of all the devices I use Emby on, why only those two devices are listed to download to?

Those are the ones that support the download feature.

2 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I told you I used the web app.  Where in the web app do I look????

The web app won't be listed there. That has the one-off download which is just a normal browser download. The web app doesn't know where you've configured your browser to download it to.

What you'll see in the server management section will be Emby apps that have their own built-in downloading where they can actually access the downloaded file and play it back within the Emby app. 

justinrh

Luke, I must be the most dunce person on Earth.  You'll have to talk to me like that, I suppose.

I downloaded to "adminX8_Emby_sync" - I don't know where this is or what it is.  Emby converted a file (i.e., created a new file) but I don't know where it ended up.  I was never prompted to specify a location as you said should have happened.

You said to look in the  app - the web app is the only app I've used.  I did not do a normal browser download (that would be the Download cmd).

I did a search on my computer for any new MP4 and did not find one.

Where is the new file?

16 minutes ago, Luke said:

What you'll see in the server management section will be Emby apps that have their own built-in downloading

Can you point me to this location that lists the apps that have built-in downloading?

I was never prompted to specify a location as you said should have happened.

I never said you'd be prompted, just that you could configure it if you wish.

Can you point me to this location that lists the apps that have built-in downloading?

Window store, android and iOS, so most likely, you did this with the windows app at some point.

It could also be the Folder Sync plugin if you've ever used that. It puts itself in there as a download target.

justinrh
53 minutes ago, Luke said:

look in the app that you downloaded with for those details. It will have options to control the download location

The reason I said what I said: "It will have options to control download location".  That sounds like it should prompt or tell me (neither happened when I 'downloaded to' for either device).  I apologize if I misunderstood what you were saying.

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

What you'll see in the server management section will be Emby apps that have their own built-in downloading where they can actually access the downloaded file

8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Window store, android and iOS, so most likely, you did this with the windows app at some point.

I can't follow, Luke.  You say the server mgmt section has a list of apps that "have their own built-in downloading".  Where in server mgmt section can I see the apps that are enabled for built-in downloading?

I do see the devices that were to receive the downloads (I show that above).

I can't follow, Luke.  You say the server mgmt section has a list of apps that "have their own built-in downloading".  Where in server mgmt section can I see the apps that are enabled for built-in downloading?

You can't, other than the Download To dialog.

justinrh

So what does this mean? :  "What you'll see in the server management section will be Emby apps that have their own built-in downloading"

Maybe you could rephrase?

38 minutes ago, justinrh said:

So what does this mean? :  "What you'll see in the server management section will be Emby apps that have their own built-in downloading"

Maybe you could rephrase?

I already covered this earlier, right?

justinrh

I guess I missed it.   I still don't know where in server mgmt I can see Emby apps that can download files.  Are you talking about the Downloads, by chance?

I can't follow, Luke.  You say the server mgmt section has a list of apps that "have their own built-in downloading".  Where in server mgmt section can I see the apps that are enabled for built-in downloading?

You can't, other than the Download To dialog.

justinrh

Wow.  Okay.  If that is the case, I don't know why you are talking about "server management section".  So confusing!

It's as if you didn't actually read anything I spent the time to type ...

I hope we can be more efficient next time.  Ugh.

1 minute ago, justinrh said:

Wow.  Okay.  If that is the case, I don't know why you are talking about "server management section".  So confusing!

That's where you can view the list of downloads that have been scheduled but there's no screen containing just a list of devices that support the feature.

justinrh

I wish you would have clarified that about 10 posts ago.  I didn't say devices.  You said apps, and I said apps.  I don't know why this has to be so difficult.  Specificity can be helpful for the ignorant and save both of us a lot of energy.