The Music Video experience

silverbeetle

silverbeetle

I've been wanting to make a post about this subject for a long while... the music video experience needs a lot of work. An ability to categorise Music Videos is much needed for us who have large collections for artists.

I really should create a separate post about this, I don't want to high jack this post...

silverbeetle

The music video experience is close to being great but there are some missteps that drive me insane.
I'll step through my experience as briefly as possible but I want to give a good amount of detail. I'll focus primarily on Emby Theater Windows here but I'd want a consistent experience on Android too whether that's mobile or TV/Chromecast.

Artist page view
image.thumb.png.2429cadcc2d8e5c398ae56f4e62769f4.png

The artist page has nice artist branding with logo and background. It has a selection of videos that I've tagged and a 'View All' link which is great.

It needs the year beneath the thumbnails or should be a configurable option to display.

You could consider a toggle navigation at the top to go between 'All' (default), 'Music' or  'Video' to quickly focus this view. With this scenario, if 'Video' was selected here you would see the 'View all'  experience...

'View all' Videos page

The view all page loses the artist branding which is a shame as it's a nice touch.
We now have the year displaying below thumbnails which is great.

image.thumb.png.e3ccb1f0df429494483ef9a318de6b6c.png

The big problem here is it lacks structure which is a real headache for large artist collections.

I structure my folders like this:

Music Videos
  - Artist
      - Bootlegs
      - Concerts and Documentaries
      - Promos
      - TV Appearances

Adding in some sort of category navigation that is easily accessible would be a god send, here's a quick mockup for consideration:

image.png.0b754f256fd11ee4eedacb1729d977de.png

It's also important to remember the last selection here too, be it the sorting which is a big one (eg sorted by date ASC would be a great default) and which category you were last in.

A nice to have would be configuration per category to be able to show 'Release date' for Concerts, 'Year' for single music video promos. Even a subheading.

Selected video view

Once I select a video, the artist branding has gone again.

My biggest gripe here is there are no chapters displayed... and I swear it used to be there at one point.

image.thumb.png.e26fad1048613170d1eabf15b16bdfaf.png

I've managed to wrangle the meta data to show what I think makes sense.

I had to put the full date with venue information in the tagline as text, I tried to use release date as the concert date but that didn't display.
A nice to have would be a subheading option to pull this important info up with the heading.

I used the overview section to put some fun facts about the show using html UL and LI tags... this from memory didn't display correctly on Android TV which showed the actual HTML.

Workaround 1 - Folders

I used the 'Folders' view as a work around for the lack of categorisation but once you click that artist name you're back in the Artist view above which makes this route frustrating. I'd much prefer to have the above issues addressed then even think about this workaround.

Workaround 2 - Tags

I tried working with Tags as an alternative which looked promising BUT clicking the tag causes you to lose context of the artist.

image.png.217fd1cab48e8416a58b329ef6dfe109.png

It could still be useful... say if you clicked a 'Promos' tag, you'll get all the traditional single song music videos (Music Promos) of all artists, a scenario where mixing up artists makes sense... but then I'd want to the option to filter by genre... going from Fleetwood Mac to Slayer could be jarring ;) Food for thought

I mentioned one inconsistency above with the Chromecast/Android TV experience vs Theatre... I think there may have been some other differences... please look out for these inconsistencies :)

Summary
I love Emby, there are so many great things about it and it's so close to be amazing for music video. I truly hope you'll consider some of these suggestions to improve the UX.

I'm more then happy adjust tagging or whatever it takes, I and I'm sure many others would love to get this right. And this could help other areas too like Family videos with showing dates, categorisation... *shrug*

The artist page has nice artist branding with logo and background. It has a selection of videos that I've tagged and a 'View All' link which is great.

It needs the year beneath the thumbnails or should be a configurable option to display.

Hi, we'll add the year. Thanks.

• Like 1

The view all page loses the artist branding which is a shame as it's a nice touch.

Hi, we can add this. Thanks.

• Like 1

My biggest gripe here is there are no chapters displayed... and I swear it used to be there at one point.

Hi, the detail screen will only show chapters if there are chapter images. Without that it just looks ugly.

silverbeetle
47 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi @silverbeetle what exactly do you mean by categorize? Why do you think music videos need a lot of work?

I don't think Music Video actually needs a lot of work, it's so close! :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. So my example of music video categories are:

- Concerts and Documentaries (These are long form videos)
- Bootlegs (I'd want these seperate from the category above so you can focus on professional vs home filmed footage)
- Promos (These are single song clips like you'd see on MTV)
- TV appearances

For quick reference, for the artist Kiss let's say I have over 800 videos. 
If I sit down and want to browse for a Concert to watch I could have to wade through a HEAP of irrelevant footage if I'm not browsing some form of category.

Categorisation allows me to focus on the type of Artist footage I want to look at.

In the Folders view, here's an example of my 'Promos' category where I can easily see the single songs with thumbnails:

image.thumb.png.c7cda80b51e2dd00adfa3e983062d598.png

Verses the Concert and Documentaries category where I see only the Concerts with their DVD artwork:

image.thumb.png.82cf0b581c88377bbe1d5323102b24bb.png

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Edited by silverbeetle
Added extra detail

silverbeetle
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, the detail screen will only show chapters if there are chapter images. Without that it just looks ugly.

Ahh interesting! Is there a way to generate chapter images either in Emby or with a 3rd party app?

8 minutes ago, silverbeetle said:

Ahh interesting! Is there a way to generate chapter images either in Emby or with a 3rd party app?

We already have options for this so I would just check the options for each of your libraries.

• Like 1

silverbeetle
2 hours ago, silverbeetle said:

I've been wanting to make a post about this subject for a long while... the music video experience needs a lot of work. An ability to categorise Music Videos is much needed for us who have large collections for artists.

I really should create a separate post about this, I don't want to high jack this post...

Actually,  I really shouldn't have said a lot of work and take that back... there's a few things that I've mention in my post here that I think will really polish up the experience :)

• Thanks 1

silverbeetle
On 01/11/2022 at 10:19, silverbeetle said:

I don't think Music Video actually needs a lot of work, it's so close! :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. So my example of music video categories are:

- Concerts and Documentaries (These are long form videos)
- Bootlegs (I'd want these seperate from the category above so you can focus on professional vs home filmed footage)
- Promos (These are single song clips like you'd see on MTV)
- TV appearances

For quick reference, for the artist Kiss let's say I have over 800 videos. 
If I sit down and want to browse for a Concert to watch I could have to wade through a HEAP of irrelevant footage if I'm not browsing some form of category.

Categorisation allows me to focus on the type of Artist footage I want to look at.

In the Folders view, here's an example of my 'Promos' category where I can easily see the single songs with thumbnails:

image.thumb.png.c7cda80b51e2dd00adfa3e983062d598.png

Verses the Concert and Documentaries category where I see only the Concerts with their DVD artwork:

image.thumb.png.82cf0b581c88377bbe1d5323102b24bb.png

Let me know if you need further clarification.

@Luke Above is my reply answering your question about Categorisation in case you missed it - there were a few messages flying around. Sorry if you did see this already.

IMO, concerts and documentaries are "movies" - music videos are one-song promotional videos. It feels like you are trying to stretch the definition of a music video way beyond it's intended meaning.

Spaceboy
12 hours ago, MrAudio said:

IMO, concerts and documentaries are "movies" - music videos are one-song promotional videos. It feels like you are trying to stretch the definition of a music video way beyond it's intended meaning.

very much disagree. i wouldnt want concerts and documentaries showing up in my movie library and i would want them linked to the relevant artist within my music library.

emby even supports this - i have 2 music video libraries. one for songs and another for concerts because i want emby to use imvdb as the metadata provider for songs and tmdb for concerts. i agree with the requests @silverbeetle is making