More detailed cache settings?

xyzeratul

xyzeratul

My Emby server is running in docker format, on a Unraid Nas, which has a SSD cache drive, my main HDD array usually spin down after idle for some times.

From what I can find, in Emby server setting there is only one option for cache location, if left as blank to use the server default, which store in Emby config dir, which also on my SSD cache drive.

But every time I open Emby, go in one of my library which has 300+ shows, some thumbnails is not showing up right away, my server need to spin up the HDD array to get them, so why can't we store all the thumbnails and meta info on cache, is there a setting I can adjust?

4 hours ago, xyzeratul said:

so why can't we store all the thumbnails and meta info on cache

Hi.  We do cache images but, by definition, the items in the cache need to expire at some point - otherwise, changes you make to the originals would never be seen.  So, what you are probably seeing is this effect with those particular images.

xyzeratul
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We do cache images but, by definition, the items in the cache need to expire at some point - otherwise, changes you make to the originals would never be seen.  So, what you are probably seeing is this effect with those particular images.

I know, but can emby only updates this when the library has been changed? 

Or give us more control of cache system, like update cache frequency, expire time and manual update option?

5 minutes ago, xyzeratul said:

but can emby only updates this when the library has been changed? 

Well, in order to know something has changed, the system needs to access it... :).

6 minutes ago, xyzeratul said:

Or give us more control of cache system, like update cache frequency, expire time and manual update option?

I suppose that is possible in the future.  I actually think there may already be a FR for something like that.

xyzeratul
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Well, in order to know something has changed, the system needs to access it... :).

I mean when I add or modif the files in library, shouldn't Emby notices this? it can make the cache then, which the HDD already spin up, not wait for next time I access the library, for lack of better words, I thought this should work sort of like a snapshot in some file system?