Intros Backup Support Thread

Cheesegeezer

crusher11

Will Restore Intros/Credit Markers from NFO file saved in the Media Folder
The NFO restore method will use TVDB and IMDB id's to match the Episode

Why would it not just use the video file that matches the NFO file name? It's clear which episode belongs to which NFO without needing IMDB/TVDB IDs, surely? Is that bolded text supposed to say JSON, not NFO? I'm confused.

sydlexius
49 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Why would it not just use the video file that matches the NFO file name? It's clear which episode belongs to which NFO without needing IMDB/TVDB IDs, surely? Is that bolded text supposed to say JSON, not NFO? I'm confused.

Off the top of my head, some individuals may not have a file naming convention with adequate disambiguation.  I don't understand the confusion of over the method of restoration (NFO or JSON).

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Omg there is a reason I ignore your posts…

thanks @sydlexius for quoting. And agree 100%

@crusher11 this is not a gift for a discussion! 

if you have a nfo file stored locally… there is an extremely high percentage that your nfo file already has an imdb ir tvdb Id in there. So therefore if moving servers or libraries or whatever will get the same match from that reliable match source.

always gotta be Moaning!!

crusher11
52 minutes ago, sydlexius said:

Off the top of my head, some individuals may not have a file naming convention with adequate disambiguation.  I don't understand the confusion of over the method of restoration (NFO or JSON).

Well a JSON would only be familiar with what's in the Emby database, I would assume, meaning if a file moves the JSON would have to use IMDB/TVDB IDs to figure out which episode is which. Whereas if you have NFO saving enabled, the NFO is always in the same folder as the media file, with the same file name, so it shouldn't need any extra information to figure out which intro data goes where. 

I'm not sure what you mean about adequate disambiguation. File naming of NFOs is automatically the same as the media file to which they refer, no? 

5 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

always gotta be Moaning!!

You characterising all my posts as "moaning" regardless of what I say is getting very old. 

sydlexius
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

Well a JSON would only be familiar with what's in the Emby database, I would assume, meaning if a file moves the JSON would have to use IMDB/TVDB IDs to figure out which episode is which. Whereas if you have NFO saving enabled, the NFO is always in the same folder as the media file, with the same file name, so it shouldn't need any extra information to figure out which intro data goes where. 

I agree that in principal, an NFO restore should be more straightforward since they ought to be placed in the same path as the media.  The JSON files are an entirely different matter.  Their naming convention has nothing to do with your file names (nor should it, IMO), while the contents operate logically within the database.  Can't use the Emby IDs, since those are ephemeral and you can't assume that the folder structure and file names will match after a restore.  To me, this is handy as my naming convention has slightly shifted over time.  If I lost a few drives (such that my redundant storage couldn't staunch the loss of data), I'd need to recreate that structure.  The new file names may not end up matching the old ones.

5 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I'm not sure what you mean about adequate disambiguation. File naming of NFOs is automatically the same as the media file to which they refer, no? 

16 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

What I meant largely applies to JSON backup.  Let's say that you had both the original Night Court, and the remake that will come out this year.  It's entirely possible that you may have disambiguation at the folder level (C:\TV\Night Court (1984) vs C:\TV\Night Court (2022)) but the file names might use an identical convention.  This is where matching on IDs would bail you out of such a mess (assuming you properly identified the shows in Emby).  Some users are very fastidious about proper naming and structure, but a developer can't assume that about all their users.  File name matching is an inferior method to IDs, IMO.

• Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
16 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

he’s bang on and so am i. Use json it refers to filenames to allow for easy cross pollination between servers and platforms.

use nfo if you want to keep in your local eco system for transfer

16 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

You characterising all my posts as "moaning" regardless of what I say is getting very old. 

Crusher you are an absolute self indulgent  ???  that thinks the world owes you something for completely nothing. 

Edited by Cheesegeezer

crusher11
13 minutes ago, sydlexius said:

What I meant largely applies to JSON backup.  Let's say that you had both the original Night Court, and the remake that will come out this year.  It's entirely possible that you may have disambiguation at the folder level (C:\TV\Night Court (1984) vs C:\TV\Night Court (2022)) but the file names might use an identical convention.  This is where matching on IDs would bail you out of such a mess (assuming you properly identified the shows in Emby).  Some users are very fastidious about proper naming and structure, but a developer can't assume that about all their users.  File name matching is an inferior method to IDs, IMO.

Right, that makes sense for JSON but not for NFO, which is why I was asking if the "NFO restore uses IMDB and TMDB ID" was a typo, and intended to say "JSON restore uses IMDB and TMDB ID". 

Cheesegeezer
7 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Right, that makes sense for JSON but not for NFO, which is why I was asking if the "NFO restore uses IMDB and TMDB ID" was a typo, and intended to say "JSON restore uses IMDB and TMDB ID". 

Why don’t you just test it?

i just told you in my previous post what happens or do you need to be spoon fed.

JSON USES FILENAMING CONVENTION 

NFO USES TVDB OR IMDB

its sooo mind blowing… the point is you can back up to both, and restore from one or the other, but not both.

crusher11

What happens if the NFO doesn't contain an IMDB or TVDB ID? What about multi versions? 

Edited by crusher11

Cheesegeezer
14 hours ago, crusher11 said:

What happens if the NFO doesn't contain an IMDB or TVDB ID? What about multi versions? 

Multi versions taken care of. But core IntroSkip doesn’t cater for multi versions during their scan. But i write the core info to the multi version json and nfo files.

eseentially if its a TV show it will 99.9% of the time have one or the other.

sporting events are not tv shows. People may treat them like that because i know you like to sort yours. But you class the intro in those sport shows as the buildup and not the repeatable intro that occurs in every episode.

So you can just use JSON for your backups. 

writing them to NFO was a treat essentially, because i was hoping that emby might adopt the method when reading the nfo files to automatically import those intro markers. 

so you aren’t losing out at all. Use the plugin or dont. It’s entirely upto you. Thats how it works at the minute and it’s not changing.

you have the info now to base your usage on.

Edited by Cheesegeezer

crusher11
4 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Multi versions taken care of. But core IntroSkip doesn’t cater for multi versions during their scan. But i write the core info to the multi version json and nfo files.

But if the NFO restore uses the external IDs, how does it know which file to restore to in the case of a multi version?

But you class the intro in those sport shows as the buildup and not the repeatable intro that occurs in every episode.

I've repeatedly told you that this isn't the case. I just happened to call the pregame chapter "intro", but that's not where I place the intro markers. There are a few leagues that do use a traditional TV-style every-episode intro, and that's where I have the intro markers. The bigger use with sports is credits, which I place at the end of the game so I can skip any extended post game segments more easily.

So if episodes don't have any external IDs, as is the case with my sports and several specials, NFO restore won't work? And if I move the files, JSON won't work? Because I was hoping this backup would allow me to move my sports episodes without losing the intro data. 

Cheesegeezer
7 hours ago, crusher11 said:

But if the NFO restore uses the external IDs, how does it know which file to restore to in the case of a multi version?

Because your intro markers created by the core intro detection uses the Item.InternalId and there is always only one of those,  multiversion is a subset of mediasources for the item (episode) so each item can have mediasources >= 2 however the mediasource has GUID's and are independent of the item.internalId, but are still part of the Item.

7 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I've repeatedly told you that this isn't the case. I just happened to call the pregame chapter "intro", but that's not where I place the intro markers. There are a few leagues that do use a traditional TV-style every-episode intro, and that's where I have the intro markers. The bigger use with sports is credits, which I place at the end of the game so I can skip any extended post game segments more easily.

So if episodes don't have any external IDs, as is the case with my sports and several specials, NFO restore won't work? And if I move the files, JSON won't work? Because I was hoping this backup would allow me to move my sports episodes without losing the intro data. 

JSON will work.  The user selects a Backup Directory to backup to write the info, (you can store this anywhere, network, cloud, wherever, to keep them super safe) this is exactly the same folder that the Restore will use to restore the intro markers from.  You can load these onto a USB and move them to a completely different geographical location away from the local network on a different computer and then create a new backup folder in the Backup UI and then drop all your JSONs in there and run the Restore Task.

Are you moving the sports episodes to a new Emby Server or just existing Server disk location?

If to a new disc location, you shouldn't even need this utility because your Item.InternalId's will be the same.  

Don't dwell on NFO's.  Personally i use the JSON method, it makes no odds to me.  Rich asked for NFO's to be written to, so i added it, the whole idea for NFO's is to future proof on the hope that emby can use these markers to import the data with out the need to run the intro task again.

crusher11

If to a new disc location, you shouldn't even need this utility because your Item.InternalId's will be the same.  

That wasn't my understanding. Moving the files to a new disc location was one of the bigger reasons cited for requesting this capability in the first place.

Cheesegeezer
6 hours ago, crusher11 said:

That wasn't my understanding. Moving the files to a new disc location was one of the bigger reasons cited for requesting this capability in the first place.

where are you getting your information from.  @rbjtech can you help me out here.... i'm pretty sure i'm right

If they are on the same server, then the itemId will remain the same.   Do you have read NFO readers and writers ticked in your library settings?  If so the import of the actual TV Show/Season/Episodes ID will remain the same and these should be written to the internal database also

Think of intros backup as a seperate task.   Do the actual move, library scan, etc. Then do the backup.   

I think you just want to argue about anything.  

While you still have them on the original disk, why don't you actually do some testing and checks.  Like copy a season to a non emby location.  then copy it again the intended new location.  then delete the existing location.  run library scan.  then run the intros restore utility.

Anyways.  if you don't do some testing yourself you will never be confident.  so that's what i suggest you do and until you've done that and physically see it working, it's pointless hyperthetically saying that the plugin wont work for you.

I have moved files from my main server to my dev laptop and because i have the nfo readers on, they are given the same Item Id that's from the main system in the database.  

Cheesegeezer.... OUT!

image.thumb.png.cc5802a4e6fe442ff4c01548c6f55cd7.png

Edited by Cheesegeezer

• 4 weeks later...
crusher11

I've been getting "installation failed" errors on the dashboard semi-regularly, with the body text "not found". Believe it started when I updated to .19 from .13.

Cheesegeezer
6 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I've been getting "installation failed" errors on the dashboard semi-regularly, with the body text "not found". Believe it started when I updated to .19 from .13.

Can you provide logs please. Thanks

crusher11
2022-12-06 16:01:04.986 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://emby_remote_ip/emby/Sync/Data?X-Emby-Client=Emby for Windows&X-Emby-Device-Name=MELASUS&X-Emby-Device-Id=7YNUP12N1Xihx4geewljhplhOHOCoAwj3MY55lS1atU&X-Emby-Client-Version=1.1.461.0&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; MSAppHost/3.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.102 Safari/537.36 Edge/18.19045
2022-12-06 16:01:04.987 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 200 to host6. Time: 1ms. http://emby_remote_ip/emby/Sync/Data?X-Emby-Client=Emby for Windows&X-Emby-Device-Name=MELASUS&X-Emby-Device-Id=7YNUP12N1Xihx4geewljhplhOHOCoAwj3MY55lS1atU&X-Emby-Client-Version=1.1.461.0&reqformat=json
2022-12-06 16:08:59.548 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases
2022-12-06 16:09:01.272 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/EmbyPackages.json
2022-12-06 16:09:03.836 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/EmbyGuideData.dll_1.0.10.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:03.836 Info HttpClient: GET https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/EmbyGuideData.dll_1.0.10.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:04.252 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: Emby Guide Data 1.0.10 Release
2022-12-06 16:09:04.262 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes
2022-12-06 16:09:04.262 Info App: Emby Server needs to be restarted.
2022-12-06 16:09:04.263 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/Intros.Backup.dll_1.0.0.4.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:04.263 Info HttpClient: GET https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/Intros.Backup.dll_1.0.0.4.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:04.277 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes
2022-12-06 16:09:04.652 Error InstallationManager: Package installation failed
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.0.19
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /volume1/Emby -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /volume1/Emby/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology_{version}_x86_64.spk
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.59+ (root@build2) (gcc version 4.9.3 20150311 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) ) #25556 SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 28 02:16:43 CST 2021
	Framework: .NET 6.0.8
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: /volume1/Emby
	Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: NotFound
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.GetTempFileResponse(HttpRequestOptions options)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.GetTempFile(HttpRequestOptions options)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.PerformPackageInstallation(IProgress`1 progress, String target, PackageVersionInfo package, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackageInternal(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackage(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

2022-12-06 16:09:04.653 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes
2022-12-06 16:09:04.656 Error App: Error downloading Intros Backup & Restore
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /volume1/Emby -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /volume1/Emby/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology_{version}_x86_64.spk
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.59+ (root@build2) (gcc version 4.9.3 20150311 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) ) #25556 SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 28 02:16:43 CST 2021
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: NotFound
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.GetTempFileResponse(HttpRequestOptions options)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.GetTempFile(HttpRequestOptions options)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.PerformPackageInstallation(IProgress`1 progress, String target, PackageVersionInfo package, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackageInternal(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackage(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.PluginUpdateTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)

Cheesegeezer
4 hours ago, crusher11 said:
2022-12-06 16:01:04.986 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://emby_remote_ip/emby/Sync/Data?X-Emby-Client=Emby for Windows&X-Emby-Device-Name=MELASUS&X-Emby-Device-Id=7YNUP12N1Xihx4geewljhplhOHOCoAwj3MY55lS1atU&X-Emby-Client-Version=1.1.461.0&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; MSAppHost/3.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.102 Safari/537.36 Edge/18.19045
2022-12-06 16:01:04.987 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 200 to host6. Time: 1ms. http://emby_remote_ip/emby/Sync/Data?X-Emby-Client=Emby for Windows&X-Emby-Device-Name=MELASUS&X-Emby-Device-Id=7YNUP12N1Xihx4geewljhplhOHOCoAwj3MY55lS1atU&X-Emby-Client-Version=1.1.461.0&reqformat=json
2022-12-06 16:08:59.548 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases
2022-12-06 16:09:01.272 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/EmbyPackages.json
2022-12-06 16:09:03.836 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/EmbyGuideData.dll_1.0.10.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:03.836 Info HttpClient: GET https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/EmbyGuideData.dll_1.0.10.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:04.252 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: Emby Guide Data 1.0.10 Release
2022-12-06 16:09:04.262 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes
2022-12-06 16:09:04.262 Info App: Emby Server needs to be restarted.
2022-12-06 16:09:04.263 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/Intros.Backup.dll_1.0.0.4.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:04.263 Info HttpClient: GET https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/Intros.Backup.dll_1.0.0.4.exe
2022-12-06 16:09:04.277 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes
2022-12-06 16:09:04.652 Error InstallationManager: Package installation failed
	*** Error Report ***

2022-12-06 16:09:04.653 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes
2022-12-06 16:09:04.656 Error App: Error downloading Intros Backup & Restore
	*** Error Report ***
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.PluginUpdateTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)

Have you restarted your server?  There is a line in there that requires a restart of your server and this could be the reason for the errors which are looking for the MediaBrowser.Model.Net libraries

i will also check my side if there are any issues with 4.8.19 Beta server, i'm currently on 4.8.17 Beta for my testing purposes.  So not sure if the Nuget packages need to be at that version.

but this is the joys of beta testing.  Beta's flyout very quickly and not everything else has the opportunity to keep up.

crusher11

I'm assuming the server restart thing is just to apply the Guide Data update that installed at the same time, but I'll give it a whirl.

Cheesegeezer

@crusher11   I had time to do some testing and could reproduce on 4.7.10 and also 4.8.17

I just updated the nuget packages and was able to install. Look out for the update on your dashboard.  V1.0.0.5

Cheesegeezer
38 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Installed.

Was that a thanks?

• Haha 2

rbjtech

Sorry Dave,  @CheesegeezerI have a tendency to steer clear of discussions involving crusher - it's just better for my well being ... 🤪

But to answer your question above (from a few weeks ago - my apologies) - re NFO's

The simple fact of the matter is NFO's are kept with the media on shared storage - so if you created a brand new Emby install (all with new internal ID's) and point to that same storage then the logic would be to either

a) just restore them with your plugin - because they still exist and are present and correct - nothing has changed.  No Provider ID link is required. 

b) when the Core team eventually complete the required basics from the Introskip core feature - they store the Introskip data in the NFO or if this plugin has been used/restored - it's already in there  - the same as they do all the other metadata/custom metadata.   It can then be automatically imported on a new build - again, in exactly the same was as the NFO is read today.  My view is keep things consistent and stop trying to have bespoke solutions for each function ..

I use the NFO version of the Introskip backup/restore - it works great. (so thanks!... as always..) :)

Edited by rbjtech