Video Preview Thumbnails on DVR

thunderclap

thunderclap

Out of curiosity, is MPEG2 files not supported for the video preview thumbnails feature? My files generally show the preview thumbnails with the exception of shows recorded via DVR, which I believe are MPEG2. If preview thumbnails are supposed to be generated, and idea why they're not? Thanks.

MBSki
9 minutes ago, MarcBu said:

Out of curiosity, is MPEG2 files not supported for the video preview thumbnails feature? My files generally show the preview thumbnails with the exception of shows recorded via DVR, which I believe are MPEG2. If preview thumbnails are supposed to be generated, and idea why they're not? Thanks.

They should generate but I've noticed it seems to sometimes take longer. I recorded a 3 hour football game and after 6 hours I still didn't see thumbnails. The next day they showed up. Do you have thumbnails on ANY recorded content?

• Like 1

rbjtech
17 minutes ago, MarcBu said:

Have you turned on thumbnail previews in the TV library ?

If not, then turn it on and then refresh the metadata on an item - that will also kick off the thumbnail generation process.

You can do this at a library level as well (metadata refresh) so it will generate the thumbs for all the previously recorded shows.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjtech
1 minute ago, MBSki said:

They should generate but I've noticed it seems to sometimes take longer. I recorded a 3 hour football game and after 6 hours I still didn't see thumbnails. The next day they showed up. Do you have thumbnails on ANY recorded content?

This has come up before with DVR content - I believe the 'process' to generate them will not start until the recording has completed.

Technically, there is no reason why this can't happen in parallel - but it obviously can't do it 'live' - it would have to be every 15 minutes for example, as it needs to write and close the bif (the thumbnail) file and then re-read it back in.

I think @softworkz was looking into this from memory. 

thunderclap
39 minutes ago, MBSki said:

No, no thumbnails in any recorded DVR content. And these are short 30-min shows.

38 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Have you turned on thumbnail previews in the TV library ?

If not, then turn it on and then refresh the metadata on an item - that will also kick off the thumbnail generation process.

You can do this at a library level as well (metadata refresh) so it will generate the thumbs for all the previously recorded shows.

I'm assuming you mean the library where TV shows record, in my case a library called DVR. It's already enabled there.

image.thumb.png.d96a4eb1eee18097b207ef31e3f71abc.png

Edited by MarcBu

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, MarcBu said:

I'm assuming you mean the library where TV shows record, in my case a library called DVR. It's already enabled there.

ok - and if you refresh the metadata on a show - do they appear a few minutes later ?

If not, then posting a log of this activity would help (the main embyserver.log) - as you will clearly see a 'quick-extract' ffmpeg process that attempts to create the preview files. (there should also be an extract imageseries log as well for each episode/show if you look in the logs section.)

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, MarcBu said:

Refreshing the metadata worked. Not sure why I need to do it manually. 🤔 

ok - you can select the entire library > metadata refresh and it will do them all.  I would also check the schedule task itself to see if it has a reasonable value in there.

image.png.2d25c9b423ae24eabf2620bbf13a8a81.png

thunderclap

Mine shows the same: Daily at 2:00. But the library is set to as a scheduled task and when media is added, so I assume the "when media is added" should take priority, no? 

rbjtech
Just now, MarcBu said:

Mine shows the same: Daily at 2:00. But the library is set to as a scheduled task and when media is added, so I assume the "when media is added" should take priority, no? 

This is the point I mentioned above - emby doesn't do it in real time because it can't (the file is in use) - and thus maybe fails and then waits for the schedule to do it instead.  Not 100% sure.  A log would confirm this.

You can always reduce the schedule to every 30 mins etc - if there is nothing to do, then it will move on - if stuff has been recorded with no previews, then it will generate them. 

• Thanks 1

thunderclap
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

This is the point I mentioned above - emby doesn't do it in real time because it can't (the file is in use) - and thus maybe fails and then waits for the schedule to do it instead.  Not 100% sure.  A log would confirm this.

You can always reduce the schedule to every 30 mins etc - if there is nothing to do, then it will move on - if stuff has been recorded with no previews, then it will generate them. 

Gotcha. I assumed it would wait until the recording was done and then do the thumbnail creation, but I see your point now. I'll change the scheduled task parameters and see what happens. Thanks.

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

This has come up before with DVR content - I believe the 'process' to generate them will not start until the recording has completed.

Technically, there is no reason why this can't happen in parallel - but it obviously can't do it 'live' - it would have to be every 15 minutes for example, as it needs to write and close the bif (the thumbnail) file and then re-read it back in.

I think @softworkz was looking into this from memory. 

In the (probably - at some time) upcoming TV feature update, it will actually be possible to do the generation "live" (at a 3s interval, this means a max delay of 3s) - at least at the server side. The unfortunate part is the choice of the BIF format. Even Roku have deprecated it a while ago and we'll need a different mechanism for live tv thumbnail display...

• Thanks 3