How to Stop Library Scan

KellyEmby

KellyEmby

Please pardon me, but how do I stop a library scan?  I used to see it in the Dashboard or Library, but I am not seeing it.

timlance
On 10/27/2022 at 2:33 AM, Luke said:

Hi @KellyEmby in the server scheduled tasks section, if a library scan is running, you can stop it there.

And where can I find that setting/section? I'm sure it's staring me in the face but, well, you know ...

Just now, timlance said:

And where can I find that setting/section? I'm sure it's staring me in the face but, well, you know ...

Have you explored the left menu of the server to find the Scheduled Tasks option?

Also, why do you think you need to stop the scan?

timlance

Damn you're fast. I was just editing my post. So to ad...

It's not that I want to stop the scan. I add several CDs almost daily and want to know/how to be sure the library is scanned.

I think I've explored the side items, pretty much delving into each. I thought I'd hit it when I checked out 'Settings', but no.

Edited by timlance

timlance

I suppose Library>(pick folder) and hit scan library might be it but I'm afraid to that manually as it might force a total rescan and with almost 2 TB that takes forever.

Edited by timlance

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, timlance said:

I suppose Library>(pick folder) and hit scan library might be it but I'm afraid to that manually as it might force a total rescan and with almost 2 TB that takes forever

Does RTM not work on your setup?  But library scans only look for changes as Scanning 40TB+ of media took 2 minutes and 38 seconds but will depend on change and media locations.

timlance

RTM might work. But I'd have to know what it is. Thanks for responding.

That scanning stat is encouraging. My computer is an M1 iMac with 16 GB RAM and is enough. I'm about to add 7 CDs and feel better about it.

Still, I'd like to know what I should be looking at to know how often the scan is done.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, timlance said:

RTM might work. But I'd have to know what it is. Thanks for responding.

That scanning stat is encouraging. My computer is an M1 iMac with 16 GB RAM and is enough. I'm about to add 7 CDs and feel better about it.

Still, I'd like to know what I should be looking at to know how often the scan is done.

There is a option Real Time Monitoring per library that is triggered by iNotify but is not available on all setups.  LibraryMonitor has a 60 second delay from when it sees an update to process newly added media.

You may have iNotify error if system default values are to low.  

But will probably need a server log with and example.  And devs could comment on what is happening.

timlance

Haha. Changes were updated by the time I was able to go check. I added by remoting into the iMac so however long it took me get my butt up and hobble back to the office is how fast the changes registered. Not too shabby at all.

Happy2Play

@timlance You can see more with debug logging but you can look at your server log and search LibraryMonitor.

example

Spoiler

2022-11-02 00:28:15.475 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for Z:\ServerFolders\Videos\TV Series\Walker (2021)\Season 3\Walker.S03E04.Wild Horses Couldn't Drag Me Away-320-10.bif
2022-11-02 00:28:15.478 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for Z:\ServerFolders\Videos\TV Series\Walker (2021)\Season 3\Walker.S03E04.Wild Horses Couldn't Drag Me Away.mp4
2022-11-02 00:29:15.472 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.
2022-11-02 00:29:15.472 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.
2022-11-02 00:29:15.477 Info LibraryMonitor: Season 3 (Z:\ServerFolders\Videos\TV Series\Walker (2021)\Season 3) will be refreshed.
2022-11-02 00:29:15.478 Info LibraryMonitor: Season 3 (Z:\ServerFolders\Videos\TV Series\Walker (2021)\Season 3) will be refreshed.

timlance

I see nothing about 'debug logging' and/or 'Debug LibraryMonitor' anywhere.

I have found the the logs. Mac OS has everything related to the underside of the server in hidden directories so had to turn off invisibility. Fat lot of good it does me as I don't see anything about librarymonitor. But at this point I may be willing to give up since my concern about updating was swiftly reconciled. Again, thanks.

5 minutes ago, timlance said:

I see nothing about 'debug logging' and/or 'Debug LibraryMonitor' anywhere.

have you explored the logs section of the server settings?

timlance

Where else would 'server settings' be? I see no 'logs section' in what this screenshot shows.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 9.05.06 PM.png

Edited by timlance

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, timlance said:

Where else would 'server settings' be? I see no 'logs section' in what this screenshot shows.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 9.01.01 PM.png

Broken image but go to User icon-App setting-Logs as Emby admin user.

image.png.1d902ddba45f1659b3d0e9c5284e7363.png

Happy2Play

Note you don't need debug logging to see basic LibraryMonitor info in the log.  Debug just will provide more info.

timlance

Hotdamn. Found it. Ha. Those are the logs I found at ~.config/emby-server but I now see where to enable debug logging if needed at some time.

For years I was what passed for tech support for my school. One of the things I would try to pound into folks was to click on everything! Guess I thought I had explored that (user icon dropdown). Whatever.

Thanks!

Edited by timlance