how to force new montage image for library?

justinrh

justinrh

How can I force a new montage image for my music library?  I don't need 4 of the same image.  I'd rather have something like my discs library image.

image.png.23e54c3db51a95cbe73b5a7fa01405f6.png

rbjtech
49 minutes ago, justinrh said:

How can I force a new montage image for my music library?  I don't need 4 of the same image.  I'd rather have something like my discs library image.

image.png.23e54c3db51a95cbe73b5a7fa01405f6.png

Just delete it as an image using the ... then edit images - and it will create a new one - or use your own as you wish.

Happy2Play

Close, delete the image via edit images and do a library scan to create a new one.

justinrh

@Happy2Play Yes, I have over 35 albums and most have images (but the missing images is another issue!).

What I meant by make my own is my own montage from my own albums (as if Emby had done it for me).

rbjtech

I believe it's using Skia (Google Image processor) to create the image from random existing 'poster' images.

So if these do not exist, or some are missing, then this is perhaps the source of the problem.

I would try and get that fixed first (all images shown) and then delete the library image and see if it recreates it properly.

justinrh

Yes, some images are missing, but this still doesn't make sense.  Out of all the images to duplicate, why pick that one?  There are plenty to choose from before it gets to that one.

image.png.47cf509602e93ba052188f40eb38c3c9.png

It seems to be quite a task to populate the images.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
8 hours ago, justinrh said:

Yes, some images are missing, but this still doesn't make sense.  Out of all the images to duplicate, why pick that one?  There are plenty to choose from before it gets to that one.

You'll need to raise that with the Dev's - It may be a bug in the image creation code, but if the image is not there, then it should simply try again until it finds one - agree 100%.

Happy2Play

@justinrh But if it were a bug, how does one reproduce it?

Do I just remove my current Music library, scan, and readd?

Do I need to Remove, delete all existing images, scan, and readd?

How are items tagged?

There are too many variables to just say this is a bug.

justinrh

Indeed, how to reproduce may be an issue, but there is no doubt this is wrong behavior.  If you shared the algorithm of how the images are chosen to comprise the montage, I might change my mind.

What can I do to help dev figure out where it is failing?

Happy2Play

Do you save images with media?  If so what images exist with media?

Do items actually have primary images?

But the algorithm randomizes known primary images.

justinrh

I don't have any images on disk, only audio files.

So, if Emby uses random images, how does it get 4 of the same thing, even when there is 3 or less of the same image that it used?

2 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I don't have any images on disk, only audio files.

So, if Emby uses random images, how does it get 4 of the same thing, even when there is 3 or less of the same image that it used?

You have at least three albums using that same image. The server doesn't know the image is the same amongst them.

justinrh

Actually, I've got it down to 2 now, but it still creates the image with 4 of the same.  This just does not make sense, does it, Luke?  Even if it happen to randomly use the 2 images that are the same, it would show two others, right?  Even so, why would it use the same image more than once?   Not a good algorithm.

Edited by justinrh

justinrh

@Luke It is said that Emby chooses random "primary images".  Which images is it looking for exactly?  That might explain this mystery.  AFAIK, there are images for tracks, artists, and albums.

justinrh

Well, I don't know then.   Still looks like a bug.  Could the original/old image be cached or stuck somewhere?  How do I know the img is being generated anew?

I have lots of the same track images (so randomness would likely find duplicates), but have only 1-each of album images.

justinrh

Let me catch you up ...  I've been forcing a new image to be generated.  I delete the image then scan the library to get a new one.  I always get the same image.

justinrh

embyserver.txtembyserver.txtembyserver.txtembyserver.txtHere ya go.

I deleted the music library image, then closed the webapp tab.
image.png.5dfae8f3663e17bc2ebbd1184878ff3f.png

I shutdown Emby.  I started Emby.

I opened Emby in the webapp.

I scanned the music library.

I refreshed the home page (because Emby doesn't know to update), and I see the same library image as before.
image.png.c7a62e62667bb76783b76bfd8c7d1cc5.png

I have 46 albums in my library, and only 3 do not have an image.

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63802839030.txt

Edited by justinrh

I refreshed the home page (because Emby doesn't know to update),

Hi, actually it does but you just have to give it a little time and be patient, and the server will notify apps of updated items.