Emby changes Year field on Music Videos when saving metadata

ramseyn
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ramseyn

I wanted to show year and band name under icons on music videos, so I turned those on. 

It became immediately apparent that the year shown was often not the year that should be in the metadata.

Assuming I had done something wrong, I went through an exercise of manually updating all the incorrect Year fields, one by one.

Frequently (not always) I would enter a year, click save and the resulting display on the icon page would then show the year between 1 and 3 years earlier than the year I just entered in the metadata. Opening the metadata again for that video, the Year field was indeed changed from what I entered.

It makes no difference whether the "Lock this item to prevent future changes" is ticked or not so it doesn't appear to be changing it due to external metadata.

This doesn't happen with every video I manually update, but I would roughly estimate 40% display this behaviour. Going back into the metadata and changing it a second time seems to always fix it.

• Browser: Opera
  • Operating system: 64-bit Windows 10, version: 91.0.4516.77
  • Emby server version: 4.7.8.0 running on Asustor (Nimbustor) NAS

embyserver (1).txt

ramseyn

Difficult to capture because it may happen almost every time I change metadata or it may happen only after 10 changes then for the next 4, so very time consuming to capture every single stage for an entire concert of videos.

This morning for example, I have been splitting a concert video from 2003 into its 15 constituent tracks and that requires me to edit each one (so I add concert dates in the "Date" field, concert year in the "year" field, add the artist, change the sort order name and lock the metadata).

The first 6 videos were fine.

So my folder structure goes:

public

- Media Library

-- MusicVideos

--- Nightwish

----Montreal 2003

And in that Montreal 2003 folder I have the complete concert (Montreal 2003.mp4) and all the individual songs (01 Bless the Child.mkv, 02 End of all Hope.mkv, 03 Come Cover Me.mkv etc etc).

I will then open "Edit Metadata" on the first track (for example) and :

1. change the "Title" of the track to "01 Bless the Child (Montreal)"
  2. change "Sort Title" to "Bless the Child Mo3" (this means all songs of the same name are listed in a group, sorted by the concert abbreviation (M13 for Montreux 2013 woulod come before Mo3 for Montreal 2003 but I don't mind that as the title includes the concert venue. The important thing to me is I have all versions of Bless the Child listed together and can choose the one I want to play)
  3. Add the "Artist" as Nightwish
  4. Edit the "Release Date" to 06/09/2003
  5. Edit the "Year" to 2003
  6. Tick "Lock this item to prevent future changes"
  7. Click Save

All fine for the first 6 tracks, and in the folder view when I click save and it returns me to the Folder view, each icon has the image and under each is "Nightwish" then on the next line "2003"

However, when I followed exactly the same sequence for the 7th track, I entered all information exactly as above, using of course "07 Sleeping Sun (Montreal)" and "Sleeping Sun Mo3" as the title and sort title but everything else exactly as listed in the steps above including entering 2003 in the "Year" field.

Click "Save", return to the Folder view and the thumbnail has the information under it but it says "Nightwish" then on the next line "2002" - which is NOT what I entered (which was 2003).

If I then open Metadata again, the "Release Date" field is still correct as 06/09/2003, but the "Year" field has been changed to 2002.

After happening so many times you may imagine that I am entering this data very slowly and carefully now, and double checking it before I hit "Save" just in case I mistype. I have not mistyped. Emby has changed the "Year" field on saving.

ramseyn

Update: I have been adding more and scrolling back to check the Year field before saving. I have found that the Year field can change BEFORE I click save. So I enter year, do not tab out, scroll down to click "Lock", scroll back up and the date has changed.

So it's not the Save function itelf, Emby changes the field before that.

• Solution
3 hours ago, ramseyn said:

Update: I have been adding more and scrolling back to check the Year field before saving. I have found that the Year field can change BEFORE I click save. So I enter year, do not tab out, scroll down to click "Lock", scroll back up and the date has changed.

So it's not the Save function itelf, Emby changes the field before that.

If the number field has focus and you scroll with the mouse wheel then it may end up changing the value in the field. It's just the way number fields work in the browser.

ramseyn

Many thanks Luke - useful info. Only does it sometimes but it sounds like the best thing is to tab out of the field before scrolling to the Save button.

Cheers! 🙂

• Thanks 1