Emby cast to Chromecast gives black screen for recorded TV (only)

wmichael3

wmichael3

Hey this is a weird one:  haven't casted to a Chromecast in a long time but find myself at a hotel trying to cast Emby recordings from home (Emby Connect) to a Chromecast I plugged into the hotel TV.  Live TV works fine,  my movie collection works fine, but Recorded TV (recorded by Emby) doesn't work - by "doesn't work" this is what happens:

- For Live TV and my movies, the Emby logo stays on the screen while the rotating spinner spins, and then eventually the video appears with the momentary title and progress bar at the bottom and all is well - works perfectly.  For the movies, a greyed still shot will appear behind the logo and the spinner until the movie begins to play.

- For Recorded TV, the Emby logo disappears instantly and there is no spinner, the progress bar appears with the title logo on the left, and after a few seconds that disappears leaving a completely black screen.  On the casting device the session acts like Stop was pressed - the Play icon appears instead of the Pause icon and the progress bar is at zero.  If I press the Play icon it changes to the Pause icon, but progress stays at zero.  I've tried several recordings and they all have the same behavior.  

Recorded TV plays fine locally on Android devices - it is just the casting that is broken, and for recorded TV only.  I do have transcoding happening by design - set to 720p/1.5mbps.

I put a screencap of what the phone app shows while the casting device has the black screen.  The timer stays at 0:00.  I also put in a screencap from a tablet showing the User Session screen.I attached a log file of the session - looks normal as best as I can tell.

At first I thought it might be something due to Comskipper - that is used only for the Recorded TV files.  So I uninstalled the plugin and restarted Emby - no change.

It just seems strange the LiveTV works fine but Recordings don't.  All other apps cast fine to the Chromecast.

Screenshot_20221025-154241_Emby.jpg

Screenshot_20221025_160301_Emby.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-9c538f5e-f75c-4fd3-be06-969d19c4da7b_1.txt

wmichael3

There is definitely something going on with the Android Emby client and my Recorded Live TV.  Now home, and on the home network the Android client can only play my Recorded TV if I force transcoding by lowering bandwidth.  If I set it to Auto and it tries to Direct Play/Direct Stream, it will not play but will just display a still frame and nothing will happen.  But Live TV and my movies play fine in all cases on the same network.

Browser clients work fine and Android TV clients works fine on the same network. This feels connected to the EmbyConnect/Chromecast issue in that it is just with Recorded TV and there are no error messages - just frozen play and only on Recorded TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
wmichael3

The issue seems to be back on the latest release, 4.7.11.0, with behavior identical to described above. We don't use Chromecast on a daily basis, so not sure when it came back. Only fails for Emby live TV recordings. Live TV works fine.