Remote Viewing of dashboard etc.

Marc_G
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

Hi folks,

I think I messed something up. Please help me fix it.

My HTPC hosts the MB Server and MB Classic. IT's downstairs.  I do most of my "work" on the upstairs PC (call it the Desktop).  I had copied the MBServer dashboard page:

http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/dashboard.html

and edited it so I could use the link from the Desktop to log into the dashboard for the server residing on the HTPC. I edited it to look like this, using HTPC as a placeholder for the real computer name:

http://HTPC:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/dashboard.html

This used to work just fine in IE or Chrome from the Desktop... it would call the dashboard right up.

This morning I was logged onto the dashboard and it said it needed to apply a server update. I let it do so, and since then have not been able to connect to the dashboard from my desktop. Still works fine if I'm at the HTPC itself... MB Server is up and running and MB Classic working fine.

Should I be using a different way to connect to the dashboard / server config when I administer it remotely?

Thanks

Marc

mboehler

Can you PING your HTPC from your Desktop computer?  Can you browse to it over your network?

Perhaps the problem doesn't have anything to do with MB Server and just happened to appear at the same time you upgraded MB Server.

Hi guys,

Putting in the IP address resolved the issue. In my case, it's 192.168.1.4.  Not sure why the actual machine name doesn't work now, because it used to (the machine name is Hometheater-PC).  It worked up until a server upgrade, then failed since then, immediately after the server upgrade. No problems pinging it or browsing using machine name. Odd. But I've hardcoded the IP address into the shortcut and made a favorite.  Problem solved.