Library is now reading disc folders instead of individual episodes

StetsonSnead
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

StetsonSnead

Hello,

My first post here. I'm on an UnRAID server, but I didn't see that as an option, so I figured Linux was general enough. Tonight I went to watch Emby and found that the number of episodes in my library was way off. Upon further investigation, it's reading the wrong folders.

My folders are organized as recommended here https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming, for DVD episodes. M*A*S*H, for example

/TV

/M_A_S_H

/Season 1

/M_A_S_H S01E01-E08

/VIDEO_TS

episode 1.mkv
                         episode 2.mkv
                         episode 3.mkv

In this example, Episodes 1-8 are all from the same DVD, with each episode being an individual video file. Previously, this was read correctly by Emby, and all the episodes in a given season were displayed as individual episodes. Now, it's counting the disc level folder, "M_A_S_H S01E01-E08," as a single episode. However, it seems to still understand that there are multiple episodes, it's just lumping them all together and listing all the titles in a row. Screenshot of this attached. This is consistent, across my entire library of TV shows. Doesn't seem to be affecting movies or music, although they don't have as many subfolders. Anyone know what would have caused this? How do I fix it?

Edit: corrected/clarified the way the files are organized within the folders.

Screenshot from 2022-10-21 18-17-37.png

Edited by StetsonSnead
Clarified

Happy2Play

You are mixing structure here if you have individual mkv files.

In the M_A_S_H S01E01-E08, is there 8 individual episodes? 

From what you have shown you would have to restructure as M_A_S_H S01E01-E08 is 8 episodes in one file.

StetsonSnead

Yes, there are 8 individual episodes. Each episode is a .mkv file, they're all in a single VIDEO_TS folder within the M_A_S_H S01E01-E08 folder.

• Solution
Happy2Play

You would need to folder for every episode or change structure removing disc levels altogether as a disc M_A_S_H S01E01-E08 says one item with 8 episodes.  So Emby presents as a multi-episode file 1-8.

/TV

/M_A_S_H

/Season 1

/M_A_S_H S01E01

/VIDEO_TS

/episode 1.mkv

/M_A_S_H S01E02

/VIDEO_TS

/episode 2.mkv

or

/TV

/M_A_S_H

/Season 1

/episode 1.mkv

/episode 2.mkv

Happy2Play

@Lukewould have to comment, as normally from as disc standpoint you would not have individual files.  But there have been lots of changes recently with episode recognition.

StetsonSnead

Okay. Sounds like maybe there was a change that caused it to no longer work, but redoing the structure to just eliminate the disc level folders is doable. Do I still need the VIDEO_TS folder, or can I just have the .mkv files straight in the season folder?

Happy2Play

Also the episode naming scheme could be problematic in current stable release (4.7.8.0) vs beta server (4.8.0.13) also depending on if that is an exact naming scheme.

1 minute ago, StetsonSnead said:

Okay. Sounds like maybe there was a change that caused it to no longer work, but redoing the structure to just eliminate the disc level folders is doable. Do I still need the VIDEO_TS folder, or can I just have the .mkv files straight in the season folder?

No just episode in Season folder.  Preferably S01E01, S01E02, ect but other naming schemes will work per the KB.  As mentioned there are slight issues in current release with 02 Episode Name.ext vs next release.

StetsonSnead

Answered my own question by trying it. No, I don't. And okay, thanks for the further clarification. Well, this means a little work reorganizing this weekend, but going forward, that's actually a much simpler structure to use for episodes. Thanks for your help!

StetsonSnead

I redid my folder structure to eliminate the disc level folders and the video_ts folders, and so far everything is being read correctly. I have another issue which seems like it may be a Roku problem, but I'll make a new post for that one. For the library issue, simplifying the folder structure seems to have been all I needed to do. Thanks again for the help!

• Thanks 1