Real Time Monitoring not working

stefsegers
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

stefsegers

Hi guys, I have a tv shows share. When I copy an episode to the folder it should automatically show up in Emby. I have enabled Real Time monitoring in the share settings within Emby. But for some reason it only shows after rescanning the share of rebooting the emby server.

When I compare with Plex I can see that works real time.

How can I make this work with Emby?

stefsegers

Thanks for your quick reply. Example is that I just moved an episode of a show. It instantly showed up on Plex, but still isn't on Emby.

My serverlog is pretty large, but I hope you can make sence of it?

embyserver.txt

• Solution
Happy2Play

You have a iNotify issue.

The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

Also is there a reason you have not updated to current release?

stefsegers

thanks for getting back so quickly.

I followed the tutorial. After that I downloaded/installed the latest version of Emby on Synology.

Now when I want to login app.emby.media I got an connection error.

The Emby app does login, but still the episode is missing

Maybe the script is not working for me?

FrostByte
1 hour ago, stefsegers said:

thanks for getting back so quickly.

I followed the tutorial. After that I downloaded/installed the latest version of Emby on Synology.

Now when I want to login app.emby.media I got an connection error.

The Emby app does login, but still the episode is missing

Maybe the script is not working for me?

Did you run the task afterward?

You can check to make sure the script ran correctly by using Terminal or Putty and typing the commands in the text box in #3.  The number of watches and instances should have changed.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, stefsegers said:

, but still the episode is missing

Also, you need to add something new for it to work.  Inotify monitors for changes in the file system so it's not going to see the stuff you added earlier as being new.  You will need to manually scan your library for older stuff and then when you copy something new to the shared folder inotify will flag that and RTM should work.

stefsegers
24 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Did you run the task afterward?

You can check to make sure the script ran correctly by using Terminal or Putty and typing the commands in the text box in #3.  The number of watches and instances should have changed.

Thanks for your reply. I used the terminal script, but have no idea what it should show.

USER@DS3617xs:~$ cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

USER@DS3617xs:~$ cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances

USER@DS3617xs:~$

stefsegers
27 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Also, you need to add something new for it to work.  Inotify monitors for changes in the file system so it's not going to see the stuff you added earlier as being new.  You will need to manually scan your library for older stuff and then when you copy something new to the shared folder inotify will flag that and RTM should work.

Just downloaded a missing episode and placed it in its folder.

Plex sees it instantly, but Emby still not working :(

FrostByte
8 minutes ago, stefsegers said:

Thanks for your reply. I used the terminal script, but have no idea what it should show.

USER@DS3617xs:~$

Okay, the script worked.  According to your logs earlier the watches were default 8192 and they are now 204800.

FrostByte
1 minute ago, stefsegers said:

Just downloaded a missing episode and placed it in its folder.

Plex sees it instantly, but Emby still not working :(

Might need to check your logs again.  You might have something else going on also.

stefsegers
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Okay, the script worked.  According to your logs earlier the watches were default 8192 and they are now 204800.

Perfect, that's good to know! Let's hope there is another option ;)

FrostByte

You're still maxing out your total watches.  You must have a lot of stuff.   You will need to increase that number some more.

System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (204800) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

stefsegers
5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

You're still maxing out your total watches.  You must have a lot of stuff.   You will need to increase that number some more.

System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: The configured user limit (204800) on the number of inotify watches has been reached, or the operating system failed to allocate a required resource.

yes i have a lot of music mp3's. But is this limit for every file that `Emby is watching or just the TV Shows/Movies?

Maybe I should increase from 

sh -c '(sleep 90 && echo 204800 > /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches)&'
sh -c '(sleep 90 && echo 10000 > /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances)&'

to

sh -c '(sleep 90 && echo 2048000 > /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches)&'
sh -c '(sleep 90 && echo 100000 > /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances)&'

Or is this going to take a lot out of the server?

Edited by stefsegers

FrostByte

Inotify is a unix program that came with your NAS and monitors every file, folder, whatever for changes.  So for every movie you could be using 15 more watches once you include the images and everything else.  This is system wide.  You could have other apps using inotify too to monitor other folders.

I believe the max watches is 524,288, but I'm not really a Unix person

stefsegers

Yeah, I tried the new value, but still the same. When I restart the Emby server it starts searching for new materials, but this should be instant :(

FrostByte
1 minute ago, stefsegers said:

Yeah, I tried the new value, but still the same. When I restart the Emby server it starts searching for new materials, but this should be instant :(

You tried 524,288 and it still maxes out?

FrostByte

You can run those commands again in Terminal to see if the values changes.

But, in your server log just search for the word "inotify".   If you don't see any lines saying you've maxed out watches or instances, then inotify isn't a problem.

stefsegers

When I search my server log, I do not see anything with Inotify

So it theoretically it should be fine.

Just checked by removing 1 episode, but Emby is not updating at all :( Only after restarting Emby

FrostByte

Okay, post a log from when you added something new.  You could have something else going on too.  I can take a quick look, but someone from Emby may have to check it out.

FrostByte

Wait at least 10 mins after adding something before sending the log.  Maybe it's just taking more time.

stefsegers

I restarted the server.. then waited until the scan library was ready.. then moved the episode back...and within 5 minuts emby updated!!!

It seems that it is working now

Thanks a lot all you guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1