Playback problems

Scott D

Scott D

I have captured all of the "raw" log files and will document exactly what it takes to reproduce.  Before spending the time to clean-up, compile and write the description, I would like to verify that the following versions are still valid and not due to be updated in the next day or two.  If the reply will be to try the next version, I will save myself a great deal of time and simply run the test again in the near future after the update.

Versions I am currently running.

Stable 4.7.8.0   

Beta  4.8.012 

Roku App 4.0.63

Problems that have been captured and repeatable:

Failure to close stream from HDHomeRun (Both Stable and Beta)

Failure to play video (33% loading circle) on Roku.  Possibly a device problem.  Works on mid level Roku device, not on lower end device.

Return to black screen instead of guide on exiting Live TV

Roku remote becomes unresponsive after watching Live TV for 30 minutes or more and then switching to a media file.  Requires use of HOME button.

Items remaining in transcode_temp folder with no active users attached.

Let me know if this is something I should put the time into, or should I wait a few days and try again.

Failure to play video (33% loading circle) on Roku.  Possibly a device problem.  Works on mid level Roku device, not on lower end device.

Hi, can we please look at an example of this? Thanks !

Scott D

Windows 10
Emby Server - Stable 4.7.8.0
500 GB SSD for system and transcode_temp
Max streaming rate set to 3Mbps

HDHomeRun Quatro HDHR5-4US  Firmware 20220822

Server log file set to rotate at Midnight

16:02 10/19    Restart Emby Stable Server  Confirmed temp folder is empty.

All times below are approximate

18:13    Living Room    Start streaming channel 10.1 from HDHomeRun to Roku StreamingStick+
            Played with no problems, no stutter, no buffering.

19:00    Living Room    Stop streaming channel 10.1  switch to streaming video file.
            On exit from live channel by using <-, the control returned me to a black screen with headers.  Required a second press of <- to continue.  Did not return to the GUIDE.
            Video File played with no issues.  Remote became unresponsive at the end when trying to exit credits to the home screen.  Was neceesary to press HOME.

20:49    Living Room    Start streaming channel 10.1 from HdHomeRun to Roku StreamingStick+
            Played with no problems, no stutter, no buffering.
            This stream was stopped on the Roku by pressing the <- button and Emby was exited PROPERLY.  This stream continued to transcode and store in transcode_temp (39 Gb file) until the morning.  (See jpgs)

20:53    Bedroom        Start streaming channel 10.1 from HDHomeRun to Roku Express +
            Spinning circle reached 33% and then froze.  No video, no audio
            Stream in Living room, same channel, same network, playing fine at the same time.

21:02    Living Room    Start streaming channel 10.1 from HDHomeRun to Roku StreamingStick +
            Played with no problem, no stutter, no buffering.

21:05    Living Room    Start streaming channel 10.1 from HDHomeRun to Roku StreamingStick +
            Played with no problem, no stutter, no buffering.

Unable to stream channel 10.1 to Roku Express.  Most other channels work with no issue, but it appears (to me) there is a problem with 60 fps video.

I have a similar test, with similar results on the Beta Server 4.8.0.12

Let me know what I can do to assist.

6350e451.jpg

6350e49d.jpg

embyserver.txt embyserver-63801820800.txt ffmpeg-transcode-8eaa04d6-d3f0-49b3-a188-6004c0d91911_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9a26c05f-9a33-4122-99c8-b28f4405d255_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-362e6384-04d9-4d83-bce1-8772b0f741c9_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-830f92f9-5cb4-4ac3-9888-9c87ca16f917_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4488bd91-06c9-4b8b-b97f-f7d419914c84_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-bb6c5fac-de97-42fd-9f52-90e6199a4c6e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-fe05baf9-d5f4-4977-bacf-b853c44ac78a_1.txt hardware_detection-63801792177.txt

Scott D

Yes, bedroom is a lower end device.  No, it has no issue playing (most) video files.  It can also play (most) other channels from the HDHomeRun.  Seems to be having issue with higher bitrate original files or higher framerate video sources.

When you say "that problem", I assume you are talking about the 33% circle playback error.

Edited by Scott D

6 minutes ago, Scott D said:

Yes, bedroom is a lower end device.  No, it has no issue playing (most) video files.  It can also play (most) other channels from the HDHomeRun.  Seems to be having issue with higher bitrate original files or higher framerate video sources.

When you say "that problem", I assume you are talking about the 33% circle playback error.

Even transcoding a 60fps video?

Scott D

Yes.  Video files that play with no issue using VLC at 60 fps will not play on the lower end devices.  I have tried a suggestion by softworkz (sp?) to enable/disable direct streaming (as found in another posting).  This did not change anything.  Still the same issue.

Scott D

Nightly, a novella is recorded for mother-in-law. It is an OTA program thru HDHomeRun.   It is a 60fps .ts file once completed.  The only way it can be viewed on these devices is to convert to a 1.5mbps mkv file and then refreshing all of the metadata.  It will play with no issue on mid and higher end devices.  It will also play on VLC on Server box.

Scott D

Transcoding is forced on most files as I have limited the streaming rate to 3 Mbps to avoid over-running the CAP imposed by Cox Communications.  I do have throttling enabled, and have tried with throttling disabled.  Same result.

Scott D

Upload speed should not be an issue.  All remote users have a minimum of 50 mbps for their download.image.jpeg.a268610b3838bbe126455ba3f5e49d59.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Scott D said:

Nightly, a novella is recorded for mother-in-law. It is an OTA program thru HDHomeRun.   It is a 60fps .ts file once completed.  The only way it can be viewed on these devices is to convert to a 1.5mbps mkv file and then refreshing all of the metadata.  It will play with no issue on mid and higher end devices.  It will also play on VLC on Server box.

So what if you keep the original and transcode it at 1.5 mbps?

Scott D

The converted file is the only way that she can watch.  This is the temporary fix I have found.  The original will produce a ??% spinning circle and eventually frustrate the user to exit out.

Also, the forced refresh of metadata is the only way to get Emby to create the bif file of the .mkv.  Emby will not create a .bif file for the original .ts file.  It had been doing so until recently.

2 minutes ago, Scott D said:

The converted file is the only way that she can watch.  This is the temporary fix I have found.  The original will produce a ??% spinning circle and eventually frustrate the user to exit out.

Also, the forced refresh of metadata is the only way to get Emby to create the bif file of the .mkv.  Emby will not create a .bif file for the original .ts file.  It had been doing so until recently.

Did you try it at 1.5?

Scott D

I think what you are asking is...Yes, I have gone into the Roku app and set the quality to be a lower resolution.  A 720 with a low Mbps  I don't remember the exact rate, but it did not change the outcome.  I believe had reduced is down into the 480 range and was still having issue.

Scott D

I do not.  I can get one (or bring one from remote) and give it a shot.  I will be traveling this weekend, but can do a clean run and capture all log files again upon my return.

Scott D

Also, as a side note to this problem.  It is also happening on TV's with the ROKU OS built in.  The inlaw is using a Samsung TV (Emby app 1.2.6) and a Hisense TV with built in ROKU with current ROKU app (4.0.63).

From comments made in another post, other users are having issue with Samsung TV app as well.

Edited by Scott D

6 minutes ago, Scott D said:

Also, as a side note to this problem.  It is also happening on TV's with the ROKU OS built in.  The inlaw is using a Samsung TV (Emby app 1.2.6) and a Hisense TV with built in ROKU with current ROKU app (4.0.63).

From comments made in another post, other users are having issue with Samsung TV app as well.

They could try updating the Samsung app via USB. That may help.

Scott D

They could if they were 50 years younger and knew what a USB is.  Hoping the new Samsung app will be approved soon and it updates automatically.  Seems Samsung is a bit behind the times.

Scott D

I don't know if this will help, but more info is never a bad thing.  Most of the problems I have listed here started with the update that rolled out around 5/19/22.  

Bif file creation, streaming higher rate files, 33% circle errors.  Prior to that, the only issue I had that was haunting me was the transcode_temp folder constantly being filled up and the occasional unreleased tuner.

For what that's worth.

5 minutes ago, Scott D said:

They could if they were 50 years younger and knew what a USB is.  Hoping the new Samsung app will be approved soon and it updates automatically.  Seems Samsung is a bit behind the times.

What model Samsung? Hopefully it's a 2018 or newer because Samsung is no longer accepting app updates for models older than that.

Scott D

It is a newer model.  UN65 TU700.  They just got it last year.  It is running the current version of Tizen.

Edited by Scott D
  • Thanks 1

Scott D

A sample of UN65TU700 session.  Both attempts to play video on the Samsung TV resulted in a fail.

ALSO - Anywhere in the log files that you see "SERVER.homeip", the Anonymize log contents failed to remove my DynDNS name.

ffmpeg-transcode-e858fb8d-8e5c-4b2c-894b-5d31faa4f31f_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-6bed9477-6f85-4224-8694-b1dc577ee967_1.txt embyserver-63801907200.txt HE Media Format.txt