Episode NFOs provider with TMDB

olympus1

olympus1

TMDB is my favourite scraper for both movies and TV shows, I personally don't like TVDB.

When I choose TMDB as a scraper for TV shows, Emby creates the episode nfo properly.

But it misses to add the TMDB ID of the episode in the generated episode nfo files.

It should be added when I choose TMDB as a scaper.

Btw, Emby apart from the IMDB ID and the TVDB ID it adds a tvrage ID.

Tvrage IDs shouldn't be added today since tvrage has died years ago.

Hi, last I checked there was no such thing. They just go by the series id, season and episode number.

olympus1
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, last I checked there was no such thing. They just go by the series id, season and episode number.

Hi, it doesn't add the tvrage id in new tv shows, but it adds it in older shows.

I just scraped the following

An example Battlestar Galactica (2004) 1x01.nfo

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<episodedetails>
  <director>Michael Rymer</director>
  <rating>8.063</rating>
  <year>2004</year>
  <sorttitle>33</sorttitle>
  <imdbid>tt0519761</imdbid>
  <tvdbid>117849</tvdbid>
  <tvrageid>18377</tvrageid>
  <uniqueid type="tvdb">117849</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="tvrage">18377</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="imdb">tt0519761</uniqueid>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <season>1</season>
  <aired>2004-10-18</aired>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails />
  </fileinfo>
</episodedetails>

For newer tv shows it doesn't add it

An example Altered Carbon (2018) 1x01.nfo

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<episodedetails>
  <director>Miguel Sapochnik</director>
  <rating>7.5</rating>
  <year>2018</year>
  <sorttitle>Out of the Past</sorttitle>
  <imdbid>tt5989942</imdbid>
  <tvdbid>6218102</tvdbid>
  <uniqueid type="tvdb">6218102</uniqueid>
  <uniqueid type="imdb">tt5989942</uniqueid>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <season>1</season>
  <aired>2018-02-02</aired>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails />
  </fileinfo>
</episodedetails>

Also I checked my episode nfo files, none has the tmdb id of the episode even if I have TMDB selected

TMDB has episode ids but they are not shown in the website, they are returned by the API though.

for Battlestar Galactica (2004) 1x01.nfo, when I use TMDB I would expect it to also include

<uniqueid type="tmdb">134132</uniqueid>

and for Altered Carbon (2018) 1x01.nfo

<uniqueid type="tmdb">1401623</uniqueid>

Edited by olympus1

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, olympus1 said:

Hi, it doesn't add the tvrage id in new tv shows, but it adds it in older shows.

For newer tv shows it doesn't add it

Well your example the provider does not have the TVRage id.  Would seem no one is adding them anymore as these providers metadata mostly come from userbase.

image.thumb.png.10a185931504d105e4d6a4007288c6fd.png

1 hour ago, olympus1 said:

Also I checked my episode nfo files, none has the tmdb id of the episode even if I have TMDB selected

TMDB has episode ids but they are not shown in the website, they are returned by the API though.

To my knowledge that is not a usable id in any way.  As you can only get that id via /tv/{tv_id}/season/{season_number}/episode/{episode_number}.

olympus1
8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Well your example the provider does not have the TVRage id.  Would seem no one is adding them anymore as these providers metadata mostly come from userbase.

image.thumb.png.10a185931504d105e4d6a4007288c6fd.png

To my knowledge that is not a usable id in any way.  As you can only get that id via /tv/{tv_id}/season/{season_number}/episode/{episode_number}.

Yes, new tv shows have no tvrage id because there is no tvrage id for them because tvrage is not operational since 2016.

That's why I believe that there is no point adding any kind of tvrage information in any nfo file today.

About TMDB episode IDs.. they can be very useful. For example when using Trakt. Emby has a Trakt plugin, right?

Since Trakt has switched completely to TMDB with these IDs you can be sure that your watched episodes are synced to Trakt without any possibility of a mismatch.

Also since TMDB supports episode groups (even if they are not supported in Emby today, in future they could be supported) season/number is not always a reliable way to avoid mismatches. 

All third party media managers, Kodi etc, everybody adds them to the nfo files they create...

Edited by olympus1
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, olympus1 said:

For example when using Trakt. Emby has a Trakt plugin, right?

Don't know much about trakt but they don't use id either, look at their urls they provide per episode.

2 hours ago, olympus1 said:

/tv/{tv_id}/season/{season_number}/episode/{episode_number}

Example they use /tv/{tv_id}/season/{season_number}/episode/{episode_number} also.

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/114165/season/3/episode/1

Edited by Happy2Play

olympus1
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't know much about trakt but they don't use id either, look at their urls they provide per episode.

You can mark an episode as watched with trakt api by using ids without using season/number

https://trakt.docs.apiary.io/#reference/sync/add-to-history/add-items-to-watched-history

Since Trakt was switched completely to TMDB as their data source for TV shows, episode TMDB IDs are perfect for this.

Kodi's Trakt addon for example first tries with ids and fallbacks to season/episode if no episode id is available.

Any when you call TMDB with

/tv/{tv_id}/season/{season_number}/episode/{episode_number} 

TMDB returns the TMDB ID of the episode too, I can't see any reason not include it to the nfo like IMDB and TVDB ID's are added to it.

"episodes": [
    {
      "watched_at": "2014-09-01T09:10:11.000Z",
      "ids": {
        "trakt": 1061,
        "tvdb": 1555111,
        "imdb": "tt007404",
        "tmdb": 422183
      }
    }

Edited by olympus1