Top Picks support thread

chef

Junglejim

@chef personally I think you should ask for a paypal reg for your "New releases" plugin too.

I think the community would be more than willing to help out. Just my opinion.. :)

I know it's already out in the wild but that could be changed. 🙃

• Like 1

crusher11

If we just manually fill this out, is the order set, or can the plugin randomise it from there?

I'm guessing there's no way to have it at the top of the home screen without also having it at the start of the My Media section, which isn't ideal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

If we just manually fill this out, is the order set, or can the plugin randomise it from there?

You can toggle the option to overwrite user defined options.

This way if you manually fill out the list, and have that toggle selected, the next time the user engagement task is run, it will overwrite items in the list.

Or, create the list manually, then make sure to un-pin the items you want to have change.

I'm guessing there's no way to have it at the top of the home screen without also having it at the start of the My Media section, which isn't ideal.

Emby doesn't allow this.

Edited by chef
  • Agree 1

crusher11
53 minutes ago, chef said:

This way if you manually fill out the list, and have that toggle selected, the next time the user engagement task is run, it will overwrite items in the list.

Sorry, I meant have the plugin randomise the order, but have the titles within the library be specifically defined.

Sorry, I meant have the plugin randomise the order, but have the titles within the library be specifically defined.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow.

I don't think it is possible.

7 hours ago, Junglejim said:

@chef personally I think you should ask for a paypal reg for your "New releases" plugin too.

I think the community would be more than willing to help out. Just my opinion.. :)

I know it's already out in the wild but that could be changed. 🙃

I appreciate the sentiment.

But, I think there's going to be more opportunities to build cool plugins for emby that might be worth a buck or two.

For instance, what if there was way to build a deep learning algorithm based on a training set of over 27,000 movies, and over 100 000 uses ratings, that could recommend items in your library, to your users that might be better then the recommendation system currently being used?

Like this:

itIsDoneNN.thumb.png.ecf66bf657b82909c98b70baa8ff86f2.png

🤯😆

Edited by chef
  • Agree 1

Spaceboy
6 minutes ago, chef said:

I appreciate the sentiment.

But, I think there's going to be more opportunities to build cool plugins for emby that might be worth a buck or two.

For instance, what if there was way to build a deep learning algorithm based on a training set of over 27,000 movies, and over 100 000 uses ratings, that could recommend items in your library, to your users that might be better then the recommendation system currently being used?

Like this:

itIsDoneNN.thumb.png.ecf66bf657b82909c98b70baa8ff86f2.png

🤯😆

which is the new releases plugin? i don't see it

4 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

which is the new releases plugin? i don't see it

Somewhere on this page

😃

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
5 hours ago, chef said:

Or, create the list manually, then make sure to un-pin the items you want to have change.

Emby doesn't allow this.

Exactly, and it works exactly as advertised.  

For me,

1. Personally select Movies i want my users to see as a top pick.  
  2. if i don't fill the list then i can run the engagement to fill up the rest of the slots.
  3. i can review what engagement has suggested and reorder the list if i so wish in the UI.

Boom Job Done!!

• Thanks 1

Spaceboy

hey chef - couple of questions on how this works with regards to library user restrictions and parental rating controls.

1. in the plugin config does the movie list represent every media item that is of type movie 1) whether or not its in a movie library and 2) whether the user setting up the plugin has access to all libraries or not. reason why i ask is i think i see some items that are in mixed content libraries and in libraries that are disabled for that user
  2. is the top picks list filtered by age rating if the user viewing the library in the front end has a restricted user profile?

44 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

hey chef - couple of questions on how this works with regards to library user restrictions and parental rating controls.

1. in the plugin config does the movie list represent every media item that is of type movie 1) whether or not its in a movie library and 2) whether the user setting up the plugin has access to all libraries or not. reason why i ask is i think i see some items that are in mixed content libraries and in libraries that are disabled for that user
  2. is the top picks list filtered by age rating if the user viewing the library in the front end has a restricted user profile?

If there are restrictions on an account, the top picks will be filtered. 

In that case the user with restrictions will not see the entire list.

This may also result in top picks skipping a numbered item.

It may show: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 etc. Where 3 is left out because of parental controls.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Spaceboy
13 minutes ago, chef said:

If there are restrictions on an account, the top picks will be filtered. 

In that case the user with restrictions will not see the entire list.

This may also result in top picks skipping a numbered item.

It may show: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 etc. Where 3 is left out because of parental controls.

ok great. just to clarify - your answer is in respect of the second question. i confirmed that with regards to the first question my admin user can see items in a mixed content library that they do not have access to in the plugin config. doesnt matter other than i was confused by what i was seeing 👍

Cheesegeezer
1 minute ago, Spaceboy said:

sorry - next question. i can't seem to get them ordered properly

image.thumb.png.600630f2c67cb0cf8f308e33257c4a85.png

Date added should be correct 

2BD252BA-268E-46FA-A71C-07388D238A4B.thumb.jpeg.efaaef70af478c86ed8d238c6d26f408.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Spaceboy

are these virtual items that the plugin creates? because if i click on the play button i just get a spinning circle, if i click on the thumb image i just get a black screen and i notice that the url in the address bar is different from the url for the same movie in my movie library

7 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

are these virtual items that the plugin creates? because if i click on the play button i just get a spinning circle, if i click on the thumb image i just get a black screen and i notice that the url in the address bar is different from the url for the same movie in my movie library

They are virtual.

Are you saying the stream doesn't start?

Can you send me a log?

I haven't come across any streaming issues.

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i notice that the url in the address bar is different from the url for the same movie in my movie library

Correct as discussed in another Channel plugin topic.  Each item has their own databaseid so you have duplication of the items in the database.

• Like 1

... also just to add to that, this time I was able to tag the 'real' library item with a cool 'top picks' tag to show that it is available in in both.

theater_top_picks.png.53018eddea7b0715f6cd777ba07b0f3f.png

Edited by chef

Spaceboy
11 minutes ago, chef said:

... also just to add to that, this time I was able to tag the 'real' library item with a cool 'top picks' tag to show that it is available in in both.

yeah i see that - i'll upload a log shortly. its as if the virtual items have not been created correctly

8 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

yeah i see that - i'll upload a log shortly. its as if the virtual items have not been created correctly

You can see the files in "Emby-Server/programdata/data/top-picks"

I haven't come across any issue. It might take an extra moment while Emby initializes playback simply because it has to follow the path back.

Looking forward to seeing the log.

Thanks! 

Edited by chef

Spaceboy
11 hours ago, chef said:

You can see the files in "Emby-Server/programdata/data/top-picks"

I haven't come across any issue. It might take an extra moment while Emby initializes playback simply because it has to follow the path back.

Looking forward to seeing the log.

Thanks! 

ok - i started the server and my guide refresh task runs automatically. once it completed i ran the update top picks task.

i see the virtual items where you indicate on disk. i see them on the home screen and in the top picks library. but clicking on any of the thumbnails just results in a black screen and clicking play from the thumbnail just results in spinning circle. i tried to play top gun maverick - hopefully you can see that in the log.

one other bit of info that may be relevant - each of my top picks has both a 4K and 1080p version. they are in separate folders on disk but in the same library and grouped by the auto movie version collections plugin

log attached embyserver(11).txt

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chef said:

... Auch nur um das hinzuzufügen, diesmal konnte ich das "echte" Bibliothekselement mit einem coolen "Top Picks" -Tag markieren, um zu zeigen, dass es in beiden verfügbar ist.

Is there a reason why you are deviating from the actual presentation? I would either show it as a num. Top Pick or leave it unchanged. How do you see it?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Seger said:

Is there a reason why you are deviating from the actual presentation? I would either show it as a num. Top Pick or leave it unchanged. How do you see it?

That's a tag on an item within Movie library Top Pick was selected from, having a number there would actually be out of place. Top Picks library and its Latest row remain presented as-is.

GrimReaper
35 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

ok - i started the server and my guide refresh task runs automatically. once it completed i ran the update top picks task.

i see the virtual items where you indicate on disk. i see them on the home screen and in the top picks library. but clicking on any of the thumbnails just results in a black screen and clicking play from the thumbnail just results in spinning circle. i tried to play top gun maverick - hopefully you can see that in the log.

one other bit of info that may be relevant - each of my top picks has both a 4K and 1080p version. they are in separate folders on disk but in the same library and grouped by the auto movie version collections plugin

log attached embyserver(11).txt

I can confirm same behaviour. As long as items are not grouped, virtual Top Pick items play normally (and there's standard duplication in Continue Watching row). Once Auto-grouping plugin installed, it's spinning circle only.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

I can confirm same behaviour. As long as items are not grouped, virtual Top Pick items play normally (and there's standard duplication in Continue Watching row). Once Auto-grouping plugin installed, it's spinning circle only.

What is Auto-grouping plugin?